• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

IMHO, the endgame with this will be a slab with a numerical Grade, Title, Issue and Date with a QR code that will take you to CGCs site that will have ALL the graders notes, grading info and any other info (key issue info, artist, first appearance etc) locked behind a membership paywall. 

If anything, CGC should be headed in the opposite direction to maximize transparency: Eliminate the custom labels in order to standardize the front and use the back of the label to dump the "grader's notes"-type info. Use acronyms for the common stuff to save space, then elaborate with additional text when necessary.

I don't see any consumer benefit from pertinent information being restricted to an online-only source gated by a paid account. Databases are compromised all the time. At best, this change just manufactures additional hoops for a consumer to jump through to feel confident about the grade of a CGC book. 

On 5/26/2022 at 11:45 PM, ttfitz said:

I don't buy many graded books, but I've always assumed that anything that wasn't visible would be listed on the label. I guess they should remove this line from their "About" page:

"With a consistent standard, impartial grading, expert restoration detection and a tamper-evident protective holder, you know what to expect from a CGC-graded book."

They don't have to remove that line, they just have to add this one:

"Expect the unexpected."

Or maybe go all X-Files:

"The truth is in there."

Edited by Axe Elf

A few years from now, it'll be 'Remember when people used to get their comics slabbed and you couldn't see what condition they were inside? Then they'd on-sell them for a profit to the next guy, and so on and so on? Then eventually one guy would crack the case open and the book would have pages missing and coupons cut out? What a Ponzi scheme that was!'

Edited by Steven Valdez
additional material

Except this is discouragement on getting a membership 

If they wouldn't make the stupid policies towards membership in the first place, they wouldn't have lost the dealers they had, so they wouldn't have to have done such a stupid thing as this

Amazed more people don't remember what happened, what, 6 months ago and why a lot of people let their membership expire in the first place

On 5/25/2022 at 11:03 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

CGC will continue to identify on the label any significant missing pieces, pages, wraps or inserts from the interior of a comic.

From the original post and announcement.  The Tattooz from ASM 238, Marvel Value Stamps, etc will still be noted on the label.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:50 AM, Red84 said:

@CGC Mike

I would like CGC to explain how ANYONE other than someone intending to scam and defraud a buyer benefits from CGC no longer writing the single but extremely important word “incomplete” on the label. Who benefits from removing the notation “centerfold detached”?

It takes no additional work to have “incomplete” on the label. 
Removing the word “incomplete” from the label serves ONE purpose—it makes an incomplete book appear like a complete book. 
Removing “detached centerfold” from the label makes a detached book appear to be a structurally sound book.  
It puts uneducated buyers, and even sophisticated buyers who may not be aware of the policy change, at higher risk of being defrauded. 

This is not a new goofy custom label or a font change; this is a direct assault on the primary purpose of a CGC book, transparency to facilitate transactions. 
As a buyer I can no longer rely on the CGC label. CGC is no longer in the authentication and grading business. It is only in the expensive plastic case business. 
A truly shockingly stupid decision. 

This right here. There is zero upside to collectors and tons of downside.