• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did the Double Cover Grading Rule Change?
4 4

30 posts in this topic

On 5/29/2022 at 6:17 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I’m always seen the grade to be the better of the covers, no matter the discrepancy. There is a 5.5/8.5 Cap 155 that gets an 8.5 on eBay now as an example. Then today I see this? Any insight? 

86F4CCE5-F10E-45C6-BDAF-C161787E557D.jpeg

@BlowUpTheMoon

On 5/29/2022 at 6:17 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I’m always seen the grade to be the better of the covers, no matter the discrepancy.

This is still available.......and it's free to those who pay for a CGC membership.

Hope its just an error and the correct grade is a 9.0. Seems odd (and unlikely) they will grade the cover individually from the rest of the book. Any grade should represent the whole book. 

The other explanation is that they averaged out the grades, which comes to 7.75 and so a 8.0. 

On 5/29/2022 at 7:57 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

What are you talking about? 

I think he's referring to the new label policy that CGC just announced where cgc gave a list of defects (that currently are noted on the label if present) which will now not be noted on the label and available exclusively in the grader's notes (which are only available to people with paid CGC memberships).

Ironically though, I  believe double covers aren't on that list and double covers will still be noted on the label. The list of defects that are being moved are almost all defects which (CGC believes) are obvious to detect just from looking at the comic in the slab. 

On 5/29/2022 at 7:21 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Or are they saying that just the cover is a 9.0 but the other flaws bring it down to an 8.0? 

AA1898A6-F3E0-4ABB-8F55-E89F6E00C206.jpeg

Yes.  If the covers have grades they don't reflect flaws like missing pages or cut-outs, etc. 

The grade is based on the book but they are also giving grading info on the covers, because one can't be seen. 

On 5/29/2022 at 8:37 PM, Bird said:

there is stuff between the covers? :whistle:

On 5/29/2022 at 8:38 PM, The Meta said:

OT

Does this OT mean Off Topic, Out There or.....OT - Urban Dictionary - The abbreviation for overtime which is code word for having sex.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, Lightning55 said:

Does this OT mean Off Topic, Out There or.....OT - Urban Dictionary - The abbreviation for overtime which is code word for having sex.

Well, this is much more interesting 

On 5/30/2022 at 10:37 AM, Bird said:

there is stuff between the covers? :whistle:

Not if you're Bad Idea and make an arrangement with CGC... 

Edited by Cat