• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your progress on 2022 CGC signings?
12 12

970 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2023 at 2:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

yes I pressed :) still came back 9.0 when consensus in spare a grade was 9.4 with a press.

Reading the grader notes im surprised by the grade. It reads like pressing is needed

I will say the color looks nice.

Compared to my 9.4, the green looks better than the silver.

I wish he'd do red on carnage face remarques

Edited by ShaggyB

On 9/28/2023 at 2:57 PM, ShaggyB said:

Reading the grader notes im surprised by the grade. It reads like pressing is needed

ya I know and I'm not sure, I've had several press jobs by ccs that read like that, but I am not knowledgeable enough with pressing to make a fuss. I have it on record with phone reps that it WAS at ccs and got pressed. 

That is all I know :sorry: 

Just fyi for those on the fence on doing a signing but reading these

They do take request and will do them.

He honered my request to the letter on my UF #4

I also sent a pic of one he did for someone else. I like the one he did for me better.

Screenshot_20230928_160314_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ea54a5a0a24cd840073540e00b851acc.jpg

and sent this pic (yes printed out and tapped to the yellow window bag outside cover)

Screenshot_20230928_160511_eBay.jpg.7dae4c04ba271a35d0548819a6c8c021.jpg

Got this back. He added white eyes and it looks awesome

Screenshot_20230928_160856_Gallery.jpg.b42599221f72dba20530bdc4f2df7f98.jpg

Bagley wanted to do profile shot not straight on like my example. And he did a great job. Couldnt be happier with it

Edited by ShaggyB

On 9/28/2023 at 4:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya I know and I'm not sure, I've had several press jobs by ccs that read like that, but I am not knowledgeable enough with pressing to make a fuss. I have it on record with phone reps that it WAS at ccs and got pressed. 

That is all I know :sorry: 

Yeah, im sure they did just that second note is something id expect a press to fix.

Your spine stuff is what i expected to see called out.

On 9/28/2023 at 3:17 PM, ShaggyB said:

Luckily, you got notes.... apparently thats not the norn

ya I do get note for most submissions, although 9.8's for me are few and far between, as I don't usually press at all. In house signings the trade off is a must however and do it then :) 

On 9/28/2023 at 3:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 9/28/2023 at 3:17 PM, ShaggyB said:

Luckily, you got notes.... apparently thats not the norn

ya I do get note for most submissions, although 9.8's for me are few and far between, as I don't usually press at all. In house signings the trade off is a must however and do it then :) 

Those notes after paying for pressing is really kind of disappointing lol

received_197363150036676.webp

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/28/2023 at 6:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Those notes after paying for pressing is really kind of disappointing lol

received_197363150036676.webp

Yeah the light creasing i would have thought would be fixed by pressing.

Spine stress typically wont. Especially the ones that go through black and color break.

If it makes you feel better, i have a ultimate spider-man #1 with a spine break with color break thats a 9.8

check just below the bottom left staple

Screenshot_20230924_212225_eBay.thumb.jpg.bb43dedc8ce8e4169317ff272d12a9a8.jpg

Thats a never reholder or get signed as it will come back 9.4 or so

On 9/28/2023 at 5:29 PM, ShaggyB said:

Yeah the light creasing i would have thought would be fixed by pressing.

Spine stress typically wont. Especially the ones that go through black and color break.

If it makes you feel better, i have a ultimate spider-man #1 with a spine break with color break thats a 9.8

check just below the bottom left staple

Screenshot_20230924_212225_eBay.thumb.jpg.bb43dedc8ce8e4169317ff272d12a9a8.jpg

Thats a never reholder or get signed as it will come back 9.4 or so

I've heard CCS only runs it quickly through the press once, but I'm not sure. I do know that I sent a raw magazine to a signing first time slabbing with a press and it came back 8.5. However I sent same book through to another cgc signing for CCS to press a second time, and it then came back 9.2.

So idk, I'm happy I guess. I've posted elsewhere and even here, and everyone asked if I pressed (even here I had previously stated back from pressing and etc) and or they said "they would have had it pressed. Not a good reputation with this pressing I'm thinking.

I'm still new at this so when I sent X-Men #1 for Jim Lee to sign and I paid for pressing it came back as a 9.4 and in worse condition it should have been at least a 9.6. So lesson learned now I take pics before I send them off. If I had the room in my office I'd get a press and do it myself. My question is do they press it before or after the signing?

On 9/28/2023 at 6:45 PM, DravinClaw said:

I'm still new at this so when I sent X-Men #1 for Jim Lee to sign and I paid for pressing it came back as a 9.4 and in worse condition it should have been at least a 9.6. So lesson learned now I take pics before I send them off. If I had the room in my office I'd get a press and do it myself. My question is do they press it before or after the signing?

After the signing. I know they do it after.

On 9/28/2023 at 7:45 PM, DravinClaw said:

After the signing

Was that 9.6 a grade it had or your thoughts?

keep in mind, we are all guilty of thinking our books are a bit better than they actually are

Edited by ShaggyB

On 9/28/2023 at 8:07 PM, fatlab123 said:

Has anyone had book still say received at ccs but the signing already took place ? Thanks 

Yep. The process is intake, signing, pressing, back to cgc to grade and slab, ship to you with sign on deliver

On 9/28/2023 at 8:05 PM, ShaggyB said:

After the signing

keep in mind, we are all guilty of thinking our books are a bit better than they actually are

It's what I thought it was it looked like a 9.6 was hoping the pressing would bump it up but it came back a tad rougher than when I sent it.

Best recommendation i can give is submit 9.8 books that are recently graded and add pressing.

That seems to be the key to keeping 9.8 after the signing.

Hope im wrong as i have a bunch of campbell to hopefully keep their 9.8s

Edited by ShaggyB

On 9/28/2023 at 6:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Those notes after paying for pressing is really kind of disappointing

Right? I don’t understand how this doesn’t trigger something to send it back for another press. 

If I’m sending a book in to be pressed, I’m not sending the book in for a quick walk through the pressing room, the expectation is that the pressing resolves as many of the issues as it can, and if it gets to the graders and theres still ‘light creasing’ that tells me that the pressers didn't do their job, and the grader should send it back for additional work.

Edited by dbcn

On 9/28/2023 at 7:05 PM, ShaggyB said:

After the signing

On 9/28/2023 at 7:41 PM, dbcn said:

Right? I don’t understand how this doesn’t trigger something to send it back for another press. 

If I’m sending a book in to be pressed, I’m not sending the book in for a quick walk through the pressing room, the expectation is that the pressing resolves as many of the issues as it can, and if it gets to the graders and theres still ‘light creasing’ that tells me that the pressers didn't do their job, and the grader should send it back for additional work.

Best I Can say is look in the spare a grade thread and compared the scans coming back and the raws I laid out. I didn't notice what all others said per se.

I thought there were stresses top staples and maybe some frayed spine corners, with a bit of a ruffle at the very least top front cover. That's about all I saw, which I don't think can be fixed with a press. Still wasn't that bad for a 9.2 or 9.4, as all that just looked a little "worn" per se, but I suppose still breaks color, lies flat, page corners are sharp. Technically 9.0 makes sense. I just got built up lol

And maybe others don't see what I do, or see something else.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/28/2023 at 8:02 PM, fatlab123 said:

Thanks for the response 

To further clarify:

If you hadnt pressed? It would say upon received at cgc, sfg.

Even after the signing until it was in the grading room, then would say gei.

Bascally receiced at ccs is just the holding pattern even until after the signing, until received back at cgc department for grading. :)

Idk that my pressing ever changed through designations, until cgc had it then sfg, then gei, then qc, then shipped.

Received at ccs is holding patter designation, so that after the signing cgc then knows it should be pressed so they dont accidentally skip it. Or something. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM