• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your progress on 2022 CGC signings?
12 12

963 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2023 at 7:48 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not even gei by end of day for me lol

Not complaining, I sure do appreciate y'all posting up though, as it should be soon!

I used to say Monday was cgc delivery day, as whenever it shipped it always seemed to arrive on the following Monday. It takes a weekend!

But if it doesn't ship until Friday, it'll be later, super excited though :)

To see results period and what becomes of them, a few examples will ease the tension.

I'm sure y'alls Bagleys have shipped! Thought there would be pics or scans but in time I suppose.

Mine finally went to gei!

Mine arrived today.... cgc 9.2 and NO GRADER NOTES??????

Atleast Bagley honored my request on the remarque. Bendis sig is like mine.... lol not readable. I can relate.

CGC4287595-001_OBV@500x797.jpg.195e3e1d87a4ab0aaecab317fc198885.jpg

Value wise, i see cgc 9.2 ss all over the place on ebay (as low as 800 to high as 1500) but i think its $1000 (most are below $1000) so thats $155 to press and re-grade.

I might send it this weekend. Though im curious when the next Clayton Crain signing might be as i might should just wait for that as his sig would be nice to have.

Any thoughts gang?

Edited by ShaggyB

On 9/22/2023 at 5:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So from experience I suggest it.

I too am victim to thinking a high-grade book submitted for a signing but not pressing would come back with a high grade : / 

I had a 3rd party presser press a brand new, sparkling book just to be safe, they sent it in, and I just got the grade today: 8.5 with 'light cover creasing' - there is zero chance this book was not a 9.6/9.8 before the signing, so it seems like somebody punted it over to Bagley rather than simply handing it to him. 

Back for a pressing it goes :facepalm:

On 9/25/2023 at 4:27 PM, dbcn said:

I too am victim to thinking a high-grade book submitted for a signing but not pressing would come back with a high grade : / 

I had a 3rd party presser press a brand new, sparkling book just to be safe, they sent it in, and I just got the grade today: 8.5 with 'light cover creasing' - there is zero chance this book was not a 9.6/9.8 before the signing, so it seems like somebody punted it over to Bagley rather than simply handing it to him. 

Same boat on superman #75. Sent in cgc 9.8, came back with breeding and jurgens beautifully placed signatures and a 9.6 grade with one note from the grader that detailed a singular flaw that falls well within the cgc 9.8 standards according to cgc's published book. I took a pic of the description they grade by.... so im sending back friday to press and regrade.

Expecting a 9.8 to return as it looks perfect in the case and pressing will fix the issue describbed.

On 9/25/2023 at 5:07 PM, ShaggyB said:

Sent in cgc 9.8

Just for clarity -  you sent in a graded 9.8 but opted not to get it pressed after the signing, correct? mine wasn't graded, but I have high confidence in the presser and didn't think it would need to be pressed again: lesson learned.

Fingers crossed for 9.8s all around...

Edited by dbcn

On 9/25/2023 at 4:07 PM, ShaggyB said:
On 9/25/2023 at 3:27 PM, dbcn said:

Same boat on superman #75. Sent in cgc 9.8, came back with breeding and jurgens beautifully placed signatures and a 9.6 grade with one note from the grader that detailed a singular flaw that falls well within the cgc 9.8 standards according to cgc's published book. I took a pic of the description they grade by.... so im sending back friday to press and regrade.

Expecting a 9.8 to return as it looks perfect in the case and pressing will fix the issue describbed

I was more specific to polybags, as that is a must press.

Beyond that now you have me worried, but I took scans of the book I sent for Bagley to sign and remarque, posted them in the spare a grade thread here:

Feel free to look and post up what grade you think it is, and that is before cgc presses it. That way Lord willing when I get my grade we can confirm.

Pins and needles here lol

Still at GEI but they're closed for the day now, so maybe by Friday. 

On 9/25/2023 at 5:12 PM, dbcn said:

Just for clarity -  you sent in a graded 9.8 but opted not to get it pressed after the signing, correct? mine wasn't graded, but I have high confidence in the presser.

Fingers crossed for 9.8s all around...

Bingo. So similar to you in that i expected a 9.8 in return because i had a confirmed 9.8.

Seems like it wasnt handled properly during signing or opening.

On 9/25/2023 at 5:12 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was more specific to polybags, as that is a must press.

Beyond that now you have me worried, but I took scans of the book I sent for Bagley to sign and remarque, posted them in the spare a grade thread here:

Feel free to look and post up what grade you think it is, and that is before cgc presses it. That way Lord willing when I get my grade we can confirm.

Pins and needles here lol

Still at GEI but they're closed for the day now, so maybe by Friday. 

Before pressing 8.5/9.2 possibly 9.4 if lucky. (They do allow a bit of stuff on 361 due to how the printer did the books, see my 9.4 bottom blemishes for that)

You have a few spine stress (a few non color break on back), 3 that are color break in the black on front and some stress around your staples.

You also have a bit of dirt on the right front cover near spideys head, press should see and clean that per what they say they do.

After press, 9.2/9.4 if lucky 9.6

Here is my 2 of that issue for reference:

20230324_084756.thumb.jpg.508361c0039c49956dc353d472b13540.jpg20220323_134249.thumb.jpg.d7bea770711a3cc0b42669582778fd5a.jpg

Edit-

Im a very tough grader. I have one other UF4 that i deemed wouldnt get top marks and didnt send.

Edited by ShaggyB

On 9/25/2023 at 5:15 PM, DravinClaw said:

What is with the lack of graders notes these days?

Yeah thats BS and needs to stop. We pay good money for these grades and if its not 9.8, i want to know exactly why.

9.9 is a unicorn, so i dont care why my 9.8 isnt 9.9. And 10... haha, 10 is grader took right after it was printed/stapled/folded. I get why my 9.8 isnt a 10. (Though a 9.9 not being a 10 might warrant a note)

9.6 and below should have details. Every time, no exceptions

Edited by ShaggyB

Yeah, I feel like the grading has become arbitrarily harder, but no notes.  I agree that we need to start complaining more and that if there are no notes, then it is a 9.8.  Like every time we get a book back and it's not a 9.8, we need to call and ask why and if they can't tell us send the book back to them.  It's so inconsistent its maddening, I have actual notes on a 9.8 I have (a Newstand Infinity Gauntlet that says spine ticks), but I have a host of 9.0s that look perfect and nada.  There was a good video by Comic Investor (I think that's his Youtuber handle) and he just cracked and resubmitted 100 books with no additional pressing or anything and something like 75% came back in higher grades.  Notes should be a requirement, gather your pitchforks! 

On 9/25/2023 at 7:47 PM, Miketaylorwork said:

Yeah, I feel like the grading has become arbitrarily harder, but no notes.  I agree that we need to start complaining more and that if there are no notes, then it is a 9.8.  Like every time we get a book back and it's not a 9.8, we need to call and ask why and if they can't tell us send the book back to them.  It's so inconsistent its maddening, I have actual notes on a 9.8 I have (a Newstand Infinity Gauntlet that says spine ticks), but I have a host of 9.0s that look perfect and nada.  There was a good video by Comic Investor (I think that's his Youtuber handle) and he just cracked and resubmitted 100 books with no additional pressing or anything and something like 75% came back in higher grades.  Notes should be a requirement, gather your pitchforks! 

I especially agree with this when a book is worth like $500 to $600 ungraded and can shoot to $1,000-$2,500..... because resubmission at those values is a higher cost. It boarders on the % of fair market value vs set price.

There is 0 reason something that is known to be high dollar value should have no notes.

That is unacceptible.

@CGC Mike is there anything you can do on getting a message to customer support that this is A) happening B) a problem that should not be occuring.

When we are talking high dollar value comics, the notes are critical on everything but 9.8 and its very upsetting to have 0 notes on a book that boarders on having a % cost on resubmitting to add pressing services.

If it takes longer to document, id rather wait a few extra days in the process to get the notes than to have nothing to make decisions on

It shouldn't matter what the value of the book is it should come with graders notes regardless and what's the point of advertising it if they aren't going to give it to you. I would understand if my book I sent in is a 10 then it's obvious why there is no notes but for everything else we what our notes or lower the price.

• Administrator
On 9/25/2023 at 8:00 PM, ShaggyB said:

@CGC Mike is there anything you can do on getting a message to customer support that this is A) happening B) a problem that should not be occuring.

I can send a note to the team regarding this.  

On 9/25/2023 at 8:17 PM, DravinClaw said:

I would understand if my book I sent in is a 10 then it's obvious why there is no notes

ya know what? I still want notes on a 10. I want something like "THIS BOOK IS AMAZING! THREE OF OUR BEST GRADERS REVIEWED THIS BOOK THOUROUGHLY AND NOT A SINGLE FLAW WAS FOUND! PROVE US WRONG!"

That would be an amazing day.:banana:

On 9/25/2023 at 8:17 PM, DravinClaw said:

It shouldn't matter what the value of the book is it should come with graders notes regardless and what's the point of advertising it if they aren't going to give it to you. I would understand if my book I sent in is a 10 then it's obvious why there is no notes but for everything else we what our notes or lower the price.

I can agree with that. 

Its just compounded when we talk about high value books due to yhe costs cgc puts on doing things with high value books.

But you are right, in reality all grades should list why for notes.

If they dont have notes, i expect a high grade

On 9/25/2023 at 8:28 PM, CGC Mike said:

I can send a note to the team regarding this.  

Thanks mike.

I hope they take it seriously and change.

Second book ive had that the grade doesnt seem to match the quality of the book and the notes dont indicate why.

Superman #75 had notes but not enough to warrant the 9.8 going away... and then this UF #4 has no notes to warrant why it got a 9.2 (i have my guesses and i think a pressing might help, but i see no stress breaks or bends....)

Edited by ShaggyB

Yeah, it's strange that scanning and including photos is now standard, but having someone write, 3 color breaking spine ticks, stress on on staples = 9.4 isn't.   I'm a six sigma black belt (continuous improvement) and I can't understand how there isn't an applied rubric.  All you would need is to take what's in the new CGC graders Guide and have them apply what they see in the grading process and the rubric, not the grader, would determine the grade.  ie, they enter 2 non color breaking spine ticks and it would still be a 9.8, enter a 3rd it rolls over to a 9.6 and so on.  You could build this out in an excel spread sheet in like two days with a weighted scale included and it would take all of the mystery and phone calls and general whining about grading out of the equation.