• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your progress on 2022 CGC signings?
12 12

963 posts in this topic

bummer on the grade drop : / If it's any consolation one of my SS submissions was marked as 'Restored' which I had no idea about... : / 

@ShaggyB did you get these pressed when you submitted them? 

I know CGC has you sign a waiver that the grade 'is not guaranteed' but I do feel like what should be guaranteed is proper handling of the books (and possibly mitigating any damage made by CGC with an additional round of pressing before being graded...) 

My Campbell got a 9.6 no graders notes ( No surprise there) and from the pic of the slab they dinged the top left and bottom left corner and looking at a pic I took before I sent it in and that wasn't there before. Seems they are being sloppy with the handling of books.

I'll edit this and add the pics when I get home. I am not happy about them messing up my book.

Edited by DravinClaw

On 12/21/2023 at 1:52 PM, ShaggyB said:

Well my spawns came, listed the downgrade in the other thread... but yay 300 has no newton ringsCGC4321245-001_OBV@500x785.jpg.dfce2152daead0dbc22b40d6ac9f6c2c.jpgCGC4321245-002_OBV@500x785.jpg.f8eeb8ba28e5ad89820064f718ca2ff3.jpg

I just want to say its a bummer as those signatures, with the color and placement look so damn good too. I saw a video if Campbell reading the requested color and reaching for a new marker. He really takes the time to give his fans a quality sig.

On 12/21/2023 at 1:56 PM, dbcn said:

bummer on the grade drop : / If it's any consolation one of my SS submissions was marked as 'Restored' which I had no idea about... : / 

@ShaggyB did you get these pressed when you submitted them? 

I know CGC has you sign a waiver that the grade 'is not guaranteed' but I do feel like what should be guaranteed is proper handling of the books (and possibly mitigating any damage made by CGC with an additional round of pressing before being graded...) 

Nope, they have no visible signs of anything a press would fix. Plus last press i did added spine stress.... so im dreading my 2 upcoming pressings on my frenz signings

Edited by ShaggyB

On 12/21/2023 at 2:58 PM, Gator Guru said:

I just want to say its a bummer as those signatures, with the color and placement look so damn good too. I saw a video if Campbell reading the requested color and reaching for a new marker. He really takes the time to give his fans a quality sig.

Yeah got his 2024 calender in the mail today.

My lee williams stayed in QC state today. So i hope tomorrow, but it likely wouldnt get here till tueaday or wednesday due to the holiday

On 12/21/2023 at 4:38 PM, ShaggyB said:

Yeah got his 2024 calender in the mail today.

My lee williams stayed in QC state today. So i hope tomorrow, but it likely wouldnt get here till tueaday or wednesday due to the holiday

Same. My Lee stayed in QC today. Its actually the 2nd time I have subbed this book with the first time it coming back a 9.6. Ill be upset if it happens again.

On 12/21/2023 at 5:00 PM, Gator Guru said:

Same. My Lee stayed in QC today. Its actually the 2nd time I have subbed this book with the first time it coming back a 9.6. Ill be upset if it happens again.

"The Certified Collectibles Group's headquarters will be closed on Friday, December 22, and Monday, December 25, 2023 for Christmas. We will be closing at 3 pm ET on Thursday".

Looks like even if they did finish QC today, they closed earlier than Fedex arrives ro get there shipments. 

We waiting till tuesday or so. Perhaps thurs or friday delivery

On 12/23/2023 at 9:26 PM, dbcn said:

Just got a shipment of 5 SS books back... 4 are being returned for Mechanical Errors. : /

Ouch... what happened?

Also take pic of serials as you can view them after they take pictures from reslab and while they ship back

Edited by ShaggyB

On 12/24/2023 at 1:28 PM, ShaggyB said:

Ouch... what happened?

Nothing out of the ordinary: lots of scuffing on the backs of the slabs, small but visible scratches on the front of a couple.

I've been having a pretty good run of returns not being MEs recently - like the last 10 books I received only 1 or 2 went back, but this order seems to be back to the norm. One of the books looks like there's some kind of droplets maybe inside the encapsulation, which might be tricky to fix (and it's on a pretty dark cover so they're pretty obvious).

I think fundamentally I just don't get it: The slabs are well packed and there's usually at least 1 slab that is in perfect shape, which would imply that the damage isn't being done during the shipment, but once the box is open, it takes me all of 30 seconds to see the scratches or scuffs on the slabs, which makes me think CGC is doing zero due diligence to make sure the slabs aren't damaged before they're shipped. 

I also think it may be that they do see the damaged slabs, but the book is so far along in the process it's easier for them to ship them out and hope the submitter doesn't notice rather than do the right thing and send them back into the queue for better quality slabs.

Additionally one of the books - brand new, no visible defects - came back as a 9.4, and as far as I can tell there are still no visible defects, so I have no idea why this would grade down that far. And of course... no graders notes. (shrug)

Edited by dbcn

On 12/27/2023 at 12:36 PM, dbcn said:

Nothing out of the ordinary: lots of scuffing on the backs of the slabs, small but visible scratches on the front of a couple.

I've been having a pretty good run of returns not being MEs recently - like the last 10 books I received only 1 or 2 went back, but this order seems to be back to the norm. One of the books looks like there's some kind of droplets maybe inside the encapsulation, which might be tricky to fix (and it's on a pretty dark cover so they're pretty obvious).

I think fundamentally I just don't get it: The slabs are well packed and there's usually at least 1 slab that is in perfect shape, which would imply that the damage isn't being done during the shipment, but once the box is open, it takes me all of 30 seconds to see the scratches or scuffs on the slabs, which makes me think CGC is doing zero due diligence to make sure the slabs aren't damaged before they're shipped. 

I also think it may be that they do see the damaged slabs, but the book is so far along in the process it's easier for them to ship them out and hope the submitter doesn't notice rather than do the right thing and send them back into the queue for better quality slabs.

Additionally one of the books - brand new, no visible defects - came back as a 9.4, and as far as I can tell there are still no visible defects, so I have no idea why this would grade down that far. And of course... no graders notes. (shrug)

They are good with MEs the issue I have is it should be expedited but instead you wait 2.5 months! Also the no grader notes on near mint/mint 9.8 candidates is becoming increasingly frustrating. In a calendar year im at a 50% grade drop rate with not a single grader note on signings. All books I submit have been 9.8 blue labels. 

Hopefully they at least expedite the MEs.

Geez how are people already able to get there Jim Lee slabs back and in hand? Only sent 1 comic in for signature by him and always said revived 10/24/2023

And just says : received by CGC

Was like most people hoping to be able to give it as a Christmas gift but no luck

On 12/27/2023 at 2:28 PM, Flufy12345 said:

Geez how are people already able to get there Jim Lee slabs back and in hand? Only sent 1 comic in for signature by him and always said revived 10/24/2023

And just says : received by CGC

Was like most people hoping to be able to give it as a Christmas gift but no luck

You have to assume they did not elect to have pressing with their order which will add time to your order (2-4 weeks additional time).  If you added pressing, it will have status of Received at CCS (think that is what you meant).  If it was in grading, it would be Schedule for Grading.