• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Listing 9.8 books as "9.9".
4 4

25 posts in this topic

I went looking on E-Bay for a few books and stumbled across a listing that noted the book was a 9.9 with no other description indicating otherwise. Some E-Bayers like to say things like 9.8 but looks 9.9 mint! to catch buyers attention. I get why someone would do that and at least they clearly list it as CGC 9.8. I see this book as I said, listed strictly as a 9.9 in the title and figured, ok, maybe it was just an error and moved on. I find yet another book, then another and another with the same exact scenario. Book pictured is clearly 9.8 but strictly listed as 9.9 and not just in title but also in the description as well. Is this a common thing that people see when on E-Bay? We've all seen some strange things on there but this is a first for me. 

On 6/25/2022 at 1:53 PM, Timeless icons said:

I went looking on E-Bay for a few books and stumbled across a listing that noted the book was a 9.9 with no other description indicating otherwise. Some E-Bayers like to say things like 9.8 but looks 9.9 mint! to catch buyers attention. I get why someone would do that and at least they clearly list it as CGC 9.8. I see this book as I said, listed strictly as a 9.9 in the title and figured, ok, maybe it was just an error and moved on. I find yet another book, then another and another with the same exact scenario. Book pictured is clearly 9.8 but strictly listed as 9.9 and not just in title but also in the description as well. Is this a common thing that people see when on E-Bay? We've all seen some strange things on there but this is a first for me. 

Do you have a link? Curious to see what those listings look like.

On 6/26/2022 at 3:41 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Do you have a link? Curious to see what those listings look like.

I didn't post a link but there is a Thor 12 variant, Defenders remastered 1, etc.. and several others listed as 9.9 but each book is pictured as a 9.8. Quick Ebay search for cgc 9.9 thor 12

Yeah he just flat out baited people on that Thor book. 

It is happening a lot on eBay, I’ll type in one key word and pull up all sorts of comics entirely unrelated to what I am searching. 

eBay sellers now are trying everything to get the attention of others. It was already mentioned in this thread, but the CGC it! Is annoying 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't see "9.9" listed anywhere, now. Did someone message the seller, or maybe s/he caught wind of this thread?

All those listings were from the same seller. Looks like they have updated to 9.8. Probably just a typo. 

Are there other examples out there from other sellers? I don't see some kind of systemic problem that may have been insinuated in this thread.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:02 AM, shadroch said:

Perhaps Newton Rings have a healing side to them and sitting in a NR filled slab will cause 9.8 books to slowly revert back to 9.9s.  It's akin to sleeping in a hyperbolic chamber.  No wonder CGC has pushed them so hard.

Isn't it hyperbaric? Or is hyperbolic a fun double entendre? 

I actually own one graded 9.9 comic that I sent in for encapsulation without a clean and press, and one 10.0.  I wonder if its even possible to get books graded that high these days.  I have a 9.8 that ended up with a finger bend on the FC, and I KNOW that CGC put it there last year.  Maybe that will be a 9.9 after I let CCS press it and CGC grade it again… hm

CFC1CA85-899E-4351-A013-43E7DFF58E23.gif