• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throwing Money Away
6 6

120 posts in this topic

A conceptual comic book, Conceptual Funnies #1 by Robert Venditti and Tomas Giorello, a comic book that did not exist. It was an "invisible edition" made of stapled transparent acetate sheets. And yet it had been slabbed by CGC, in a variety of grades.

This should had signaled the top :facepalm:

There's also the outside chance the guy paid for Express grading - making it extra doubley rough on that resale.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

There's also the outside chance the guy paid for Express grading - making it extra doubley rough on that resale.

I thought about that also but didn't want to be mr negativity

A lot of those, as auctions, that's what you get.  Auctions have no power anymore.  Too bad.  It used to be like the Wild West years ago, now more like a ghost town.

As I was scanning through, I saw an ASM 316 9.6 go for $9.99 plus shipping.  What's with that???  https://www.ebay.com/itm/304545134080?

Then I see that the seller auctions some slabs with starting bids of $9.99.  I bet this one got listed as a Fixed Price instead, and someone picked it off.  It does show as sold, not as "ended". 

Only took 7 minutes and 33 seconds from list to sale.  I wonder if the seller explained the mistake, or actually sold it for $9.99.  Ouch.

I've had at least one miss in pretty much every submission. I just factor this overhead into my overall submission plan. Maybe if CGCs pre-screen option was more flexible, it would alleviate this issue. Specifically, they could reduce the minimum required books for pre-screen (currently 25), and allow mixing different grades in one submission. That said, I'm not sure CGC has any incentive to change its current policy.

anyone who has spent any time in facebook comic book groups shouldn't be surprised by this. It's not really new, even if there are more of them now than ever. There are endless fools who thing they should slab literally any comic, who can't grade for themselves to save a life, and who waste ungodly amounts of money (and everyone else's time) in the process.

On 6/27/2022 at 3:18 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Those 3 Ewoks (5, 6, 7) are the lowest graded copies for each of those books. 

My guess is they didn't know how to grade before they sent them in

On 6/27/2022 at 5:35 PM, Domo Arigato said:

It doesn't help when so many submitters think every book is a key issue these days.

Snapper Carr snaps with only one hand for the first time?

KEY ! ! !

DNA in a test tube?! 

Mega Key first appearance!

On 6/27/2022 at 4:57 PM, The Meta said:

Will you guys be quiet?

I might actually win some books this MCS auction

Good point. I’m still in on some cheap junk at CLink, so I should stop running my mouth.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:18 PM, jsilverjanet said:

A lot of those books still look they sold for more than they are worth.