• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2022 at 4:37 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

There’s been several Bolland WW covers sold on HA between 2018-2021, but none have sold for anywhere near the current high bid of this WW 63 cover, sure to be a classic cover soon.

it’s currently at $37K.  Any guesses if it will hit north of $60K ?

For the longest time, Bolland was the best cover artist in comics, and his work was considered blue-chip by all.

It's crazy to think how long the list is today of artists whose work sells for more than his does (Killing Joke aside)

On 8/23/2022 at 6:37 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

There’s been several Bolland WW covers sold on HA between 2018-2021, but none have sold for anywhere near the current high bid of this WW 63 cover, sure to be a classic cover soon.

it’s currently at $37K.  Any guesses if it will hit north of $60K ?

It's been one of the top 4-5 covers by him from his entire run in collector's eyes since back to the original run on the title. It's been sought after FOREVER by collectors. 
So, it's probably hit "classic" status a long time ago. 

There are Bolland WW covers that are "nice" or that you wouldn't mind owning or that would look good on the wall....then there's this and the small handful of covers from the run that will create an absolute bloodsport of bidding violence on auction day (or ahead of time if bidders get particularly salty about it). At the tip of the pyramid of desire there are a lot of collectors who'd try and get this cover that wouldn't be interested at all in 80% of the covers from that run. For collectors of the artist and title this is the one you go to the mat for. 

I thought the absolute floor on this was $50-55k. I wouldn't be shocked if it's in the 70's depending on who gets involved and where they spend their money between now and then. 

(And NO I don't know who cosigned it and this is not a paid testimonial)

On 8/23/2022 at 7:56 PM, comix4fun said:

It's been one of the top 4-5 covers by him from his entire run in collector's eyes since back to the original run on the title. It's been sought after FOREVER by collectors. 

There are Bolland WW covers that are "nice" or that you wouldn't mind owning or that would look good on the wall....then there's this and the small handful of covers from the run that will create an absolute bloodsport of bidding violence on auction day (or ahead of time if bidders get particularly salty about it). At the tip of the pyramid of desire there are a lot of collectors who'd try and get this cover that wouldn't be interested at all in 80% of the covers from that run. For collectors of the artist and title this is the one you go to the mat for. 

I thought the absolute floor on this was $50-55k. I wouldn't be shocked if it's in the 70's depending on who gets involved and where they spend their money between now and then. 

(And NO I don't know who cosigned it and this is not a paid testimonial)

As a total outsider to the bolland market but as an admirer of the artist I don’t see why it couldn’t do 100k tbh.    $102k all-in (85 plus juice).   You heard it here first.

Edited by Bronty

On 8/23/2022 at 4:56 PM, comix4fun said:

Probably up there with 72 and 96.... any others that are 'next tier?'

On 8/24/2022 at 12:55 AM, szav said:

Thank you, I figured I was missing some context.  The room seems to love it so I'm sure it'll make someone very happy to win and it'll be fun to see what it goes for. 

Out of curiosity does anyone know what the highest price that any Wonder Woman related OA has gone for?  In my casual observations of the giant OA sales in recent years I don't seem to recall her being central to any of them.

The Olivia Wonder Woman painting sold on HA for $66K, which we can use as a benchmark.  Not sure if there are any private sales that exceed this amount.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:57 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

The Buckler and cockrum powerman and iron fist 50 cover I thought would be much higher than $2300 as of 24 August 2022.🤷

Whatprice do people think this will end at?

It will go higher, but its very important to read the description and its potential impact on the hammer price

On 8/23/2022 at 8:32 AM, comix4fun said:

I assume Kubert consigned it.

I wonder if this will become the norm in the future. A couple of days ago, I emailed an artist to see if he still had the OA to a cover I liked. He did, but said, when the time came to let it go, he'd be consigning it to auction.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:44 AM, Mighty Hal said:

I wonder if this will become the norm in the future. A couple of days ago, I emailed an artist to see if he still had the OA to a cover I liked. He did, but said, when the time came to let it go, he'd be consigning it to auction.

I think that might be the norm for everyone in the future IF prices continue to go up.  It's so hard to judge value these days.

Malvin

On 8/24/2022 at 10:44 AM, Mighty Hal said:

Wonder how many are seeing paper profits right now and already dreaming of buying that house by the beach