• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2022 at 7:30 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

This is just a generalization, but approximately four years ago pieces during the heritage live auction only went up 40 to 60%. Lately, on live bidding day we are seeing pages and covers rise by multiples, 3×4 times and even five times is not uncommon

My experience as well.  Live part is where the real BSDs expose themselves.

On 9/7/2022 at 12:43 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I think people got smarter. Unless a bidder is placing a knockout high price proxy, incremental bidding just raises the floor and risks an increase in the final sales price beyond what it might be as other potential bidders adjust what they will pay. I have pretty much stopped doing it as counterproductive.

Not sure about that 40-60% jump. To me, they seemed all over the map, with some prices quadrupling at the lower end of the price spectrum, and some barely moving. Even Sal’s art.

You can get one person to change his behaviour, maybe, but getting the entire bidder pool to do so is exponentially tougher.  

if bidding is low right now I’d say it’s more likely just due to outside factors like other auctions ending around the same time (clink ended last night for example), and people not wanting to bid too strong until they see how other things shake out.   Or even some good old random variance.   

Whatever the case, I suspect ending prices will be right where they always are, and I suspect we will see early bidding again soon. 

Edited by Bronty

On 9/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, KirbyCollector said:

CLink prices tracked this last night, although I thought the John Buscema prices (w/exception of the Peter Ledger Weirdworld splash) were light, as was the Sal Triton splash

I thought they were very light, too. I was watching several pages and none hit the results I figured.

I will say that a lot of pieces on C-link last night went high quickly, stayed that way and then didn’t move much in the end, which surprised me, especially the Thanos Quest pages.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:21 AM, Michael Browning said:

I thought they were very light, too. I was watching several pages and none hit the results I figured.

I will say that a lot of pieces on C-link last night went high quickly, stayed that way and then didn’t move much in the end, which surprised me, especially the Thanos Quest pages.

Why does no one bring up the fact that 2 auctions ended the day before the big Heritage auction? 

I suspect the prices at C-link reflect that. 

Too much art offered at one time, prices will suffer for the earlier auction, especially when up against Heritage. 

But everyone can go back to “the sky is falling” scenario. 

M

Edited by artdealer

On 9/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, artdealer said:

How come no one brings up the fact that there is a Heritage auction the day after C-Link and Heritage weekly auctions end. 
I suspect the prices at C-link reflect that. 
Too much art offered at one time, prices will suffer for the earlier auction, especially when up against Heritage. 

But everyone can go back to “the sky is falling” scenario. 

M

Heck, I’m 100% not one of the sky is falling people. I know that there were too many auctions all at once. I do think that C-Link results were much lighter than HA results.

Right now, it’s my opinion that C-link is a buyer’s auction house, especially when they go at the same time as a big HA and a big weekly HA.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:19 AM, Bronty said:

You can get one person to change his behaviour, maybe, but getting the entire bidder pool to do so is exponentially tougher.  

if bidding is low right now I’d say it’s more likely just due to outside factors like other auctions ending around the same time (clink ended last night for example), and people not wanting to bid too strong until they see how other things shake out.   Or even some good old random variance.   

Whatever the case, I suspect ending prices will be right where they always are, and I suspect we will see early bidding again soon. 

I suspect that prices will also be in line with prior auctions, but holding off on bids until the live phase may—might—reduce the likelihood of increases to a higher market price level (except for high priced/valued things which have a mind of their own).

On 9/8/2022 at 11:55 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Bolland WW cover went for 99K.  Thats a huge number and represents 4x the previous high for one of his WW covers

For public auction sales, yes. 

On 9/8/2022 at 12:06 PM, KirbyCollector said:

This auctioneer... I wish HA had an option to substitute the robot voice LOL

She does good hand.