• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW POLL: To decide if we should add a rule to the Forum Marketplace
3 3

Poll to see if a new rule needs to be added to the Forum Marketplace  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule listed below be added to the Marketplace area of the forum or is no new rule needed?

• Add a new rule that states all books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace must be in the sellers possession.  The only exceptions would be for legitimate pre-orders, such as for signature series books.  Simply waiting for your graded books to arrive back from CGC does NOT qualify as a legitimate exception to this rule.
    • No new rule is needed to restrict sellers from listing books that are not in their possession. 

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/24/2022 at 02:00 PM

190 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Then there are these two threads in the modern forum. I've never participated but I believe they're pertinent.

Maybe I'm missing it.

Those aren't sales threads.......just announcement threads for what comic publishers will be putting out on any given week.....right?

On 7/20/2022 at 6:43 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Maybe I'm missing it.

Those aren't sales threads.......just announcement threads for what comic publishers will be putting out on any given week.....right?

I was under the impression they were preorders, but at least that's one mystery solved :cheers:

On 7/20/2022 at 6:45 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was under the impression they were preorders, but at least that's one mystery solved :cheers:

I was getting frustrated because I couldn't find them in the Modern Sales section.

Then I realized they were in the Modern discussion section.  Thought we were going to have to crack open a fresh can for people listing sales threads in the wrong area. 

On 7/20/2022 at 5:16 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Personally, I would have been ok with that.....because it wouldn't have affected me in the slightest.  The thought was that it might affect some legitimate sellers who offer books that might only be available in a pre-sale.  

Years ago, I participated in those pre-sales (I still have my 9.8 Joe Simon Signed Captain America I bought before it was know it would have been a 9.8) - and back then it just seemed the nature of the pre-sale means the book isn’t in hand. I don’t know if anyone would be turned away from that on the in-hand clarification rule being stated. Plus, I think the legit sellers who sell those books wouldn’t face any issue, because they are - as you said - legitimate.

and I would like to apologize if this part of the discussion has already been covered, I’ll try to read up tonight.

On 7/20/2022 at 7:50 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I was getting frustrated because I couldn't find them in the Modern Sales section.

Then I realized they were in the Modern discussion section.  Thought we were going to have to crack open a fresh can for people listing sales threads in the wrong area. 

161AEF2B-D85B-46BD-93A0-EFD137948F82.gif.716e27a2041e3650910deb22ae8fc9f3.gif

On 7/20/2022 at 6:50 PM, Domo Arigato said:

They are pinned so allowed if so.

Still I thought dork buzz (a boardie and facilitator) had the announcement of what was coming out and etc for preorder in modern.

If you're thinking they are in the signature forum? I didn't think so but maybe. Ss forum is more send in books for signing, I was under the impression that moderns and SS forum were linked that way.

No reason for a can of :canofworms:if in modern you allowed ss forum.

My impression was cgc vouches for those "dealers" as they're also facilitators. Maybe I understood it all wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Also the dealer badges have somewhat changed in tier and pricing and abilities to carry out, and I'm certainly not in the know about that either. @CGC Mike but thought I should mention the modern threads if they're indeed preorders for books hard to find at the LCS. I do know there were and not everything was signature series 

I really do have a hard time trying to figure out why anyone would want a rule that they have to be in hand vs. having to just state if they are or aren't. Why would anyone care if someone else would choose to go forward with a purchase knowing the books weren't in hand?

I'm going to post this again.....in large red font to see if I can get some feedback this time.

People had brought up that an exception might need to be added for legitimate pre-orders......which is why I considered it and added one into the proposed rule.

When I think of a legitimate pre-order......I think of situations where doing something via pre-order might be the only way to get a particular book.  A very simple and generic example would be like I've listed below:

Seller starts a sales thread and states the following:

Hey everyone.....artist X is selling his exclusive convention cover of Billy Badass #1, and they're only available at my local con ($20 for regular.....$25 for signed......$75 for CGC graded blue label). 

If you want one or more, I am pre-selling them in this thread for cost + $10 each to cover my effort.  Let me know how many you'd like of each one and send me payment and I'll pick them up for you.

Do situations like this never come up?  If they do....a new rule with no exception would not allow this.

I'm not sure why people just keep discussing signature series books coming back from CGC.

Edited by Domo Arigato

Would this impact charity threads at all? If people donate books to be sold, but the money goes someplace else would that be considered not having the book in hand? I don't think so, but just want to make sure they don't get caught up in the rule. 

On 7/20/2022 at 8:15 PM, wombat said:

Would this impact charity threads at all? If people donate books to be sold, but the money goes someplace else would that be considered not having the book in hand? I don't think so, but just want to make sure they don't get caught up in the rule. 

Really?  How could the rule possibly impact charity threads?  Money goes elsewhere, but the sellers always have the books.:makepoint:

On 7/20/2022 at 8:17 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Really?  How could the rule possibly impact charity threads?  Money goes elsewhere, but the sellers always have the books.:makepoint:

If the money goes elsewhere are they really the seller? I was just throwing it out there to make sure there weren't any unintended consequences. But if you want to be a about it have at it. 

• Administrator
On 7/20/2022 at 8:15 PM, wombat said:

No

On 7/20/2022 at 7:25 PM, wombat said:

If the money goes elsewhere are they really the seller? I was just throwing it out there to make sure there weren't any unintended consequences. But if you want to be a about it have at it. 

This is one reason I left the exception somewhat generic.....and figured Mike could make the final judgement calls if people try to push the boundaries of common sense.  I simply don't think you're going to be able to cover ALL possible scenarios in a rule....and an exception like this would allow a judgement call to prevent the rule from being applied in too heavy-handed a manner.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:25 PM, wombat said:

You’re being intentionally difficult.  I’m not the seller because I’m donating the proceeds to charity?  C’mon....

• Administrator

If we add this rule, I will make a note that exceptions will be made for charity threads.  Also, if people are unhappy with this new rule (if it gets added) A new poll can be made to change it.  Maybe the majority would rather the seller has to disclose if the book is not in their possession, instead of a rule stating no books can be sold if it's not in the possession of the seller.   In the end, I want forum members to decide which rules should be in place.  Rules in the marketplace are not forever etched in stone.  

On 7/20/2022 at 8:46 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

You’re being intentionally difficult.  I’m not the seller because I’m donating the proceeds to charity?  C’mon....

And you are being an intentional person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. Maybe we are even. 

Honest question.

How many times has not having the book in hand (outside of SS/modern 9.8 presales) been a board issue?

Please don't include Dr. Balls recent issue with Clink as the board member did in fact have access to the book through the new purchaser who effectively screwed Dr. Balls on his transaction with Clink.

*Full disclosure, I don't presell anything cause I don't want to have to deal with an issue like there is a hair in my CGC case type *  Just don't think we need to be adding rules where they aren't required.

Edited by Iceman399

On 7/20/2022 at 7:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

Also, if people are unhappy with this new rule (if it gets added) A new poll can be made to change it. 

My offer will still stand for anyone who does decide to do this that is not me.  I will be your Fake Forum Friend for a full 30 days at no cost to you.  This means I will give "likes" to a lot of your posts......I will send you PM's with inspirational quotes to lift your spirits......and if other members are mean to you, I will digitally throw lit bags of dog poop on their virtual porches.  This will also come with the option to continue the subscriptions for only $997 a month.  Be like all of my other satisfied FFF subscribers and 

1869750490_JoinTheSystem.jpg.ed6027832aa

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 7/21/2022 at 11:12 AM, Domo Arigato said:

My offer will still stand for anyone who does decide to do this that is not me.  I will be your Fake Forum Friend for a full 30 days at no cost to you.  This means I will give "likes" to a lot of your posts......I will send you PM's with inspirational quotes to lift your spirits......and if other members are mean to you, I will digitally throw lit bags of dog poop on their virtual porches.  This will also come with the option to continue the subscriptions for only $997 a month.  Be like all of my other satisfied FFF subscribers and 

1869750490_JoinTheSystem.jpg.ed6027832aa

I'm interested...