• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's AVENGERS 5 - TITLE TBD (TBD)
8 8

365 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2023 at 12:05 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, well regardless of the chronology of my post before or after. your post or whether or not I read your post, I'm telling you I made MY post with only the Majors girlfriend altercation in mind. Even then, the multiple women coming out is still hearsay at this point, reliable hearsay, but still hearsay. Disney can still sit this out until the last minute. The process is still playing itself out and doesn't yet equate to Anthony Rapp accusing Kevin Spacey of sexual assault when Rapp was a minor.

Sure - but you quoted my post in your reply - and somehow missed that the last sentence...

Was the entire point.

For both his talent agency and PR firm to drop him on the same day pointed to their knowledge of bigger issues than were yet reported in the public - a statement that was validated by Variety just 24 hours later.

And If they knew of the additional allegations by new people, there's no way Disney didn't know as well.

Disney's problem is significant because Loki 2 is in the can - it will cost them lots of money to either re-work / re-shoot Loki 2 or (as a last resort) scuttle it completely if Majors plays such a large role he can't be excised efficiently (a la Tig Notaro's replacing Chris D'Elia in Army of the Dead). 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:05 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, well regardless of the chronology of my post before or after. your post or whether or not I read your post, I'm telling you I made MY post with only the Majors girlfriend altercation in mind. Even then, the multiple women coming out is still hearsay at this point, reliable hearsay, but still hearsay. Disney can still sit this out until the last minute. The process is still playing itself out and doesn't yet equate to Anthony Rapp accusing Kevin Spacey of sexual assault when Rapp was a minor.

Talk about the worst time to come out....

Jonathan Majors’ alleged victim was granted a temporary order of protection on Thursday ahead of the May 9 court date where the actor will face charges of assault and harassment.

“Today a judge granted a Full Temporary Order of Protection for the victim, per the People’s request and with the consent of defense counsel. (At the time of arraignment, a Limited Temporary Order of Protection was granted.),” the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office said in a statement to Variety.

A full temporary order of protection means that the two parties must not have any direct or third-party contact, which remains in effect until the next court date.

Majors was arrested in New York on March 25 and charged with assault and harassment following an alleged domestic dispute with a 30-year-old woman. New York police responded to a 911 call and took Majors into custody. The unnamed victim was hospitalized with “minor injuries to her head and neck,” according to authorities.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:54 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - the original charge by Anthony Rapp was only resolved last fall. See here: https://www.npr.org/2022/10/20/1130332451/kevin-spacey-anthony-rapp-verdict

But he was fired from his several projects in 2018.

He also had to pay the producers of House of Cards $31 million for his dismissal (also adjudicated only last year).

The main issue, however, is the original accusation led to many other credible ones - not quite Bill Cosby-style, but a solid half dozen or so, some of which are still being litigated. He was even fired from a project last summer following new sexual misconduct revelations just as he was trying to mount a comeback. See here: https://gamerant.com/kevin-spacey-fired-genghis-khan-movie-new-sexual-assault-charges/

The point?

Even though Spacey ultimately won the first case against him, that accusation uncovered that he is a serial abuser, and fairly quickly.

So it's not that his firings and career cancellation were unwarranted.

I suspect we'll discover the same with regard to Jonathan Majors.

The Anthony Rapp that went onto star in Star Trek as the gay Dr who gets emeshed with an Alien and becomes a Starship engine ( I kid you not)

Goodness.

Jonathan Majors could be imprisoned for up to a year if found guilty of a charge unveiled this morning in his domestic violence case. At the same time, the actor’s attorney today slammed proceedings as a by-product of “the racial bias that permeates the criminal justice system.”

Tuesday’s swift status conference at the Manhattan criminal court building comes six weeks after the Magazine Dreams star was arrested by the NYPD for domestic violence.

Appearing virtually for the hearing the Creed III actor saw the Manhattan District Attorney’s office make public a superseding complaint with a charge of third degree assault. The class A misdemeanor has a maximum possible sentence of 12 months behind bars or a three- year probation term

On 5/9/2023 at 12:05 PM, drotto said:

Things just got real.  More and more rumors swirling about recasting or changing course for the multiverse saga.

Maybe...but if he's still considered a box office draw, he might keep the role.

Remember: Robert Downey, Jr. was temporarily released from prison so he could film "U.S. Marshals" - then they sent him right back to complete his sentence.

On 5/10/2023 at 6:41 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Probably because of the gross stuff he's said on tape that went public after the PR nightmare began.

Justification right?

On 5/10/2023 at 8:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Considering what he's said, yes, I do think it's justified to maintain the distance that [adult swim] has kept since the allegations.

Wish I had everyones certainty on such subjects

On 5/10/2023 at 9:07 AM, Poutine said:
On 5/10/2023 at 8:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Considering what he's said, yes, I do think it's justified to maintain the distance that [adult swim] has kept since the allegations.

Wish I had everyones certainty on such subjects

Just because he was proven innocent of one thing, it doesn’t wipe away the stuff he’s been recorded and documented as saying/doing. [as] is a business and is free to terminate who they wish if they either have a negative effect of their bottom line, or make the working environment unacceptable or untenable. It sounds like Roiland’s only contributions to the show in recent years was the voice work, so it’s not like they lost a creative driving force.

I love R&M, but see no need for an apology for anyone in that case. What’s an apology going to get him anyway? A warm fuzzy feeling for 10 minutes until it wears off and he realizes he’s still been terminated… seems pretty pointless. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 5/10/2023 at 12:00 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Just because he was proven innocent of one thing, it doesn’t wipe away the stuff he’s been recorded and documented as saying/doing. [as] is a business and is free to terminate who they wish if they either have a negative effect of their bottom line, or make the working environment unacceptable or untenable. It sounds like Roiland’s only contributions to the show in recent years was the voice work, so it’s not like they lost a creative driving force.

I love R&M, but see no need for an apology for anyone in that case. What’s an apology going to get him anyway? A warm fuzzy feeling for 10 minutes until it wears off and he realizes he’s still been terminated… seems pretty pointless. 

The point was they let him go do to the domestic abuse allegations, which were proven to be 100% false.

If you sat there and pointed a finger at me and terminated my employment because of something that wasn't true, you better believe I would want an apology for that 

Amazing what a few short years has done to people's sense of decency....

On 5/10/2023 at 1:10 PM, Poutine said:

The point was they let him go do to the domestic abuse allegations, which were proven to be 100% false.

If you sat there and pointed a finger at me and terminated my employment because of something that wasn't true, you better believe I would want an apology for that 

Don't confuse lack of evidence with evidence of absence.

"No, I didn't beat my wife. I don't care if I made comments in extremely poor taste about minors, I deserve an apology."

Make that make sense for us.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 5/10/2023 at 1:43 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Don't confuse lack of evidence with evidence of absence.

"No, I didn't beat my wife. I don't care if I made comments in extremely poor taste about minors, I deserve an apology."

Make that make sense for us.

I was going to wittingly paraphrase the “guaranteed piece of ….” scene from Tommy Boy regarding the apology, but the above hits the nail on the head better than any failed attempt at comedy I’d be offering up here. 

On 5/10/2023 at 1:10 PM, Poutine said:

The allegations were just another log in the objectionable-behavior fire that’s been raging for him. At some point, enough is enough and you have to evacuate the forest before you’re caught up in it all. 

Yeah, kinda weird how it didn't show up till he was charged

You guys do you, which is to sit on the internet and judge

I'll add this is in no way defending anything else he's said or done. Find it odd how stricken people seem to be about my point of view, like what do you people have invested with the topic?

Did Justin Roiland touch you? Were you one of the minors he confronted? 

Edited by Poutine
Better answer