• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's AVENGERS 5 - TITLE TBD (TBD)
8 8

365 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2023 at 8:01 PM, Gatsby77 said:

One of the rumors on Twitter this morning was that Disney is trying to figure out how to hold off on announcing a replacement for Majors until after Loki 2, which reportedly finished filming six months ago.

But umm...yeah - when your agency and PR firm opt to drop you - it's not good.

They're likely privy to knowledge that isn't yet known to the general public.

It makes sense for a talent management and PR firm to drop Majors because public opinion can directly affect their bottom line. Even though the guy is still innocent until proven guilty, some high priced talent could want to opt away from representation by the firm because of their affiliation to Majors who they may think is guilty. It's probably in the best interest of the firm to basically sacrifice Majors in order to not alienate their other clients.

Disney on the other hand isn't as affected by such public opinion and can afford to not overreact and sit it out to see how the legal system shakes out, especially, as you said, because Loki 2 is on the horizon.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/18/2023 at 7:01 PM, Gatsby77 said:

One of the rumors on Twitter this morning was that Disney is trying to figure out how to hold off on announcing a replacement for Majors until after Loki 2, which reportedly finished filming six months ago.

But umm...yeah - when your agency and PR firm opt to drop you - it's not good.

They're likely privy to knowledge that isn't yet known to the general public.

Oh hey! Look at this...

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/jonathan-majors-more-alleged-abuse-victims-cooperate-with-da-office-assault-1235588870/ 

Edited by Gatsby77

On 4/20/2023 at 9:41 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Drop the , Marvel. 

Don't studios vet their actors these days, or do they just rely on Silvermanes diversity assessments?

Got this one wrong guys......

DC 1 - Marvel 1

It's going to a tie-breaker!

Edited by Beige

On 4/19/2023 at 2:26 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

It makes sense for a talent management and PR firm to drop Majors because public opinion can directly affect their bottom line. Even though the guy is still innocent until proven guilty, some high priced talent could want to opt away from representation by the firm because of their affiliation to Majors who they may think is guilty. It's probably in the best interest of the firm to basically sacrifice Majors in order to not alienate their other clients.

Disney on the other hand isn't as affected by such public opinion and can afford to not overreact and sit it out to see how the legal system shakes out, especially, as you said, because Loki 2 is on the horizon.

How is an entertainment company (Disney) not effected by bad PR? Movie companies have a long history of dropping actors.  I am not saying they should, but they often do.  Disney is not immune to public oppinion.

Depending on how long this drags out, they may need to make decisions, even if he is innocent.  A long trial could effects shooting and production schedules.

On 4/20/2023 at 5:02 AM, drotto said:

How is an entertainment company (Disney) not effected by bad PR? Movie companies have a long history of dropping actors.  I am not saying they should, but they often do.  Disney is not immune to public oppinion.

Depending on how long this drags out, they may need to make decisions, even if he is innocent.  A long trial could effects shooting and production schedules.

Exactly - for example, Kevin Spacey was eventually found "not guilty" of the original sexual harassment charges that caused him to be dropped by House of Cards and re-cast in the (completed) All the Money in the World years ago.

His career still evaporated.

And...like Majors, a major issue is the pattern of behavior - Spacey's alleged misconduct wasn't limited to that one person - and litigation about other alleged victims continues to this day.

On 4/20/2023 at 7:09 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Exactly - for example, Kevin Spacey was eventually found "not guilty" of the original sexual harassment charges that caused him to be dropped by House of Cards and re-cast in the (completed) All the Money in the World years ago.

Wow, I didn't realize that Spacey was found not guilty.

The court of public opinion is all fame is built on. So, while I empathize with those who lose jobs prior to fair trial, it's simply the nature of that business.

On 4/20/2023 at 6:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wow, I didn't realize that Spacey was found not guilty.

Yeah - the original charge by Anthony Rapp was only resolved last fall. See here: https://www.npr.org/2022/10/20/1130332451/kevin-spacey-anthony-rapp-verdict

But he was fired from his several projects in 2018.

He also had to pay the producers of House of Cards $31 million for his dismissal (also adjudicated only last year).

The main issue, however, is the original accusation led to many other credible ones - not quite Bill Cosby-style, but a solid half dozen or so, some of which are still being litigated. He was even fired from a project last summer following new sexual misconduct revelations just as he was trying to mount a comeback. See here: https://gamerant.com/kevin-spacey-fired-genghis-khan-movie-new-sexual-assault-charges/

The point?

Even though Spacey ultimately won the first case against him, that accusation uncovered that he is a serial abuser, and fairly quickly.

So it's not that his firings and career cancellation were unwarranted.

I suspect we'll discover the same with regard to Jonathan Majors.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:54 AM, Gatsby77 said:

The main issue, however, is the original accusation led to many other credible ones - not quite Bill Cosby-style, but a solid half dozen or so, some of which are still being litigated. He was even fired from a project last summer following new sexual misconduct revelations just as he was trying to mount a comeback. See here: https://gamerant.com/kevin-spacey-fired-genghis-khan-movie-new-sexual-assault-charges/

The point?

Even though Spacey ultimately won the first case against him, that accusation uncovered that he is a serial abuser, and fairly quickly.

So it's not that his firings and career cancellation were unwarranted.

Movie studios are on the cutting edge of avoiding sunk cost, both good and bad.

On 4/20/2023 at 7:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Movie studios are on the cutting edge of avoiding sunk cost, both good and bad.

Yeah - and it's crazy to think Marvel almost didn't cast Robert Downey, Jr. due to concerns about his criminal past - because it was a question whether he was insurable.

They reportedly resolved this by splitting his $500k salary for Iron Man in half - 50% up front, and 50% on completion - to incentivize him to stay out of jail and rehab long enough for them to finish the film.

On 4/20/2023 at 6:02 AM, drotto said:

On 4/20/2023 at 7:09 AM, Gatsby77 said:

And...like Majors, a major issue is the pattern of behavior - Spacey's alleged misconduct wasn't limited to that one person - and litigation about other alleged victims continues to this day.

Not exactly. My point pertained specifically to Jonathan Majors allegations about the girlfriend altercation, and nothing else. My point was also made before the Variety report of other women coming forward. 

As I said before, public opinion about the single incident with Majors and his girlfriend could be enough for a talent agency to drop him because it could directly affect their business, such as their image to prospective clients. 

For Disney, they’re not a talent agency and don’t deal with prospective talent like that day in and day out. The Majors case had been small enough that Disney could afford to sit it out to see what happens. Marvel is big enough that Adam Driver probably isn’t going to not sign up as Reed Richards because Majors might be in a future Marvel movie. Tourists aren’t going to cancel their Disney World trips because of the Majors girlfriend incident. 

Now, things may change in light of several women cooperating with the New York DA about past abuse by Majors. That’s much bigger than a past filmmaker associate describing Majors as a horrible human being on Twitter. Even if Majors has the support of said girlfriend, multiple women coming out of the woodwork in such a high profile story could be what buries this variant of Kang.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:31 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Not exactly. My point pertained specifically to Jonathan Majors allegations about the girlfriend altercation, and nothing else. My point was also made before the Variety report of other women coming forward. 

No - your point was made immediately after mine, in which I explicitly stated Majors being dropped by both his talent agency and his PR firm on the same day made it very likely that "they knew additional information that was not yet publicly available."

A point proven true - and that was completely ignored by you in your defense of Disney.

On 4/20/2023 at 3:31 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

As I said before, public opinion about the single incident with Majors and his girlfriend could be enough for a talent agency to drop him because it could directly affect their business, such as their image to prospective clients. 

For Disney, they’re not a talent agency and don’t deal with prospective talent like that day in and day out. The Majors case had been small enough that Disney could afford to sit it out to see what happens. Marvel is big enough that Adam Driver probably isn’t going to not sign up as Reed Richards because Majors might be in a future Marvel movie. Tourists aren’t going to cancel their Disney World trips because of the Majors girlfriend incident. 

Now, things may change in light of several women cooperating with the New York DA about past abuse by Majors. That’s much bigger than a past filmmaker associate describing Majors as a horrible human being on Twitter. Even if Majors has the support of said girlfriend, multiple women coming out of the woodwork in such a high profile story could be what buries this variant of Kang.

Sorry, a talent agency has far lower public recognition than Disney entertainment.  It may hurt them in the industy and with talent, but not on a public scale.  The number of actors dropped with even a hint of allelegation during metro, Kevin Spacy, the Rick and Morty writer, etc, shows how quick companies are ro drop actors, because it looks bad for them.

I do agree that Disney Parks will not be affected by this, but they do really act as a wholly separate entity.   The public also see them as such to a degree.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:15 AM, Gatsby77 said:

No - your point was made immediately after mine, in which I explicitly stated Majors being dropped by both his talent agency and his PR firm on the same day made it very likely that "they knew additional information that was not yet publicly available."

A point proven true - and that was completely ignored by you in your defense of Disney.

Okay, well regardless of the chronology of my post before or after. your post or whether or not I read your post, I'm telling you I made MY post with only the Majors girlfriend altercation in mind. Even then, the multiple women coming out is still hearsay at this point, reliable hearsay, but still hearsay. Disney can still sit this out until the last minute. The process is still playing itself out and doesn't yet equate to Anthony Rapp accusing Kevin Spacey of sexual assault when Rapp was a minor.