• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 6:01 PM, ExNihilo said:

What the hell is "Infinite Black Publishing"?  Also, who are the crazy collectors who even lined up for this thing in the first place?

Influencers who had to get books for their friends

I'm thinking these were stocking stuffers or something?

I dunno

I just buy gift cards or give cash like a normal person

On 8/8/2022 at 7:47 PM, darkstar said:

Marvel isn't going to sign off on someone altering books and then using their name and characters to push a message or make a statement. 

We'll see.  At most they'll say "stop".  To which he'll say "I stopped an hour after I started".

In reality all he did was buy some books, staple something to them, and sell them.  There was no infringement on their property.

On 8/8/2022 at 7:54 PM, The Meta said:

Damn. Have to kick yourself for not getting a 10 because of poor spelling

They didn't spell anything incorrectly.  "Intrust" (a legit alternate spelling of "entrust"), is the verb, whereas "trust" is the noun.

They didn't accidentally change the motto.  They did it on purpose. 

But as you can see, CGC can't even get it correct on their label.  This is another reason less and less people are entrusting CGC with their books.

OOF4.png

And I'm guessing they didn't get a 10 on this one because they only paid for a 9.9

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, Sigur Ros said:

We'll see.  At most they'll say "stop".  To which he'll say "I stopped an hour after I started".

In reality all he did was buy some books, staple something to them, and sell them.  There was no infringement on their property.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel did nothing about this particular case, it would all depend on the right person at Marvel seeing it and determining if it was worth pursuing. 

It absolutely infringes on their property though. That book is being bought and sold publicly at significant scale using the Marvel name and characters with a message attached to it. If that message was more inflammatory it could cause damage to the Marvel brand and it is highly unlikely that they would want to be associated with anything that could be remotely viewed as political or religious in nature. Replace the word God in "in God we trust" with a more controversial religious or political figure and this would have gone viral the day the book released and Marvel would have already shut it down and released a statement distancing themselves from it. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:33 PM, Sigur Ros said:

They didn't spell anything incorrectly.  "Intrust" (a legit alternate spelling of "entrust"), is the verb, whereas "trust" is the noun.

They didn't accidentally change the motto.  They did it on purpose. 

But as you can see, CGC can't even get it correct on their label.  This is another reason less and less people are entrusting CGC with their books.

OOF4.png

And I'm guessing they didn't get a 10 on this one because they only paid for a 9.9

It was tongue-in-cheek but I honestly thought it was always entrust