• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 9:54 AM, Willbert said:

Well eBay has started blocking listing of this bootleg book as being COUNTERFEIT. The gentleman that bought a CGC 9.8 from Black Flag has posted on IG that eBay removed his listing for policy violation. Ouch. 

Ouch. Wonder how it affects this…

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service

or this 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/10/2022 at 11:02 AM, MrBedrock said:

They decreased it from 20% to 15% when they implemented the price increases last year. It may not sound like much, but figuring the time my mail order staff spent on the phone acting as surrogate CGC customer service reps we were already at break even at the previous discount. CGC thought then, and still thinks now, that the discount is just a way for folks to get around paying full price. 

CGC didn't feel that way when people like you helped them launch. CGC is without a doubt the industry standard in graded books, but customer service is their Achilles heal. Didn't need a price increase, didn't need a discount decrease.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:42 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

The Black Flag exclusives were graded on sight at the con - the Stray Dogs were graded in Florida.

Seems like that is a very important part of the story.

very interesting indeed....perhaps a little less oversight and a little more opportunity for bribes occurring with the on-site convention CGC grading team than when in Sarasota?hm

On 8/10/2022 at 11:33 AM, justafan said:

very interesting indeed....perhaps a little less oversight and a little more opportunity for bribes occurring with the on-site convention CGC grading team than when in Sarasota?hm

Again - They were NOT graded on-site.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:33 AM, justafan said:

They were graded July 28th. 

He was wrong. 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

eBay has more integrity than CGC on this subject?

No, but the blast zone from this mess seems to keep getting bigger. Don’t know what financial incentives are from this partnership, but if eBay gets dragged into it, you’d think they’d rethink the arrangement as they try to weed out counterfeits on their site. 

The partnership is supposed to prevent counterfeit items, but instead CGC placed a book that eBay views as counterfeit in a verified authentic universal slab. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/10/2022 at 11:47 AM, awakeintheashes said:

No, but the blast zone from this mess seems to keep getting bigger. Don’t know what financial incentives are from this partnership, but if eBay gets dragged into it, you’d think they’d rethink the arrangement as they try to weed out counterfeits on their site. 

The partnership is supposed to prevent counterfeit items, but instead CGC placed a counterfeit in a verified authentic universal slab. 

This is the only thing that leads me to believe we might actually see some kind of retraction from CGC.  They're a large company, but they ain't sh*t compared to Ebay.  If they screw around too much and get on Ebay's bad side with actively approving and grading counterfeit/bootleg books, there will be consequences for CGC (hopefully).

On 8/10/2022 at 10:01 AM, graffix13 said:

Not going to lie, I like reading about all this drama. I just heard about this fiasco yesterday and have been playing catch up.

Funny to see some of these YouTubers defending their actions in this, and then the cowards take down their videos after the backlash. Way to show your true colors (yellow). 

Someone mentioned earlier in thread that there is no FCC here to regulate these snakes. It's up to US, the community, to expose these rats.

What a joke. Glad I don't collect Modern variants.  

I’m late to the party, I’m still trying to wrap my head around a book with extra staples and added cover not getting a GLOD

On 8/10/2022 at 8:54 AM, Willbert said:

Well eBay has started blocking listing of this bootleg book as being COUNTERFEIT. The gentleman that bought a CGC 9.8 from Black Flag has posted on IG that eBay removed his listing for policy violation. Ouch. 

Ebay for the Win!

Charlie-Sheen-Winning-gif.gif.ea3faf9e9fb3ef4a9cb1879ad6d6ef9b.gif

On 8/10/2022 at 9:54 AM, Willbert said:

Curious on why his was pulled but there a number of raws still up on ebay.  Does ebay only consider Counterfeit if in a CGC case?

On 8/10/2022 at 10:09 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Ebay for the Win!

Charlie-Sheen-Winning-gif.gif.ea3faf9e9fb3ef4a9cb1879ad6d6ef9b.gif

Boy, that’s a statement you don’t read every day.