• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 1:00 PM, ygogolak said:

There were sales before the show. Not really speculation when there is a track record. Once retailers were aware of it they use a picture that they or someone else gets, sends an email to their mail list and boom, sales are generated before the show even starts.

And then bad press happens, listings get pulled, grading companies get slammed, quasi-publishers get roasted, values plummet, returns roll in.

Viola, Bad speculation !

On 8/10/2022 at 2:19 PM, mattn792 said:

Not my job to figure that out for them.

Point is they don't need to do anything. They're doing perfectly fine over there. 

They can just sit back and enjoy this mess their competitor created for itself. 

Edited by Sigur Ros

Not sure if this has been posted yet but...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-did-not-approve-ultimate-fallout-4-acetate-covers-at-c2e2/

"Today, Bleeding Cool has been able to confirm that Marvel Comics did not approve Black Flag's addition of an acetate cover as a further variant, and it is also not something they would permit. I am sure David Gabriel SVP Print, Sales & Marketing at Marvel, is having fascinating conversations with Black Flag Comics right about now, while stopping copycat moves from other retailers. While retailer-exclusive covers have been popular in the market, publishers have to approve them for branding and taste issues, and to avoid possible controversies. Opening it up to anyone to amend covers in this way, and then sell them, is something Marvel will not allow."

If Marvel does send a "cease and desist" to Black Flag citing copyright or some other issue (breach of contract, I have no idea) and the other ones get pulled, if the PUBLISHER of the actual comic forces that, what is CGC's stance on these frakenbooks then?

On 8/10/2022 at 2:43 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

If Marvel does send a "cease and desist" to Black Flag citing copyright or some other issue (breach of contract, I have no idea) and the other ones get pulled, if the PUBLISHER of the actual comic forces that, what is CGC's stance on these frakenbooks then?

26b250a738ea4abc7a5af4d42ad93af0.thumb.jpg.09f45c04244044e313493d39a9ab9729.jpg

On 8/10/2022 at 2:43 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-did-not-approve-ultimate-fallout-4-acetate-covers-at-c2e2/

"Today, Bleeding Cool has been able to confirm that Marvel Comics did not approve Black Flag's addition of an acetate cover as a further variant, and it is also not something they would permit. I am sure David Gabriel SVP Print, Sales & Marketing at Marvel, is having fascinating conversations with Black Flag Comics right about now, while stopping copycat moves from other retailers. While retailer-exclusive covers have been popular in the market, publishers have to approve them for branding and taste issues, and to avoid possible controversies. Opening it up to anyone to amend covers in this way, and then sell them, is something Marvel will not allow."

Before you even get to that you still have the current issue where the largest online marketplace now classifies this as fake and will pull listings, but CGC has certified it as genuine. That's a tough one to ignore. I would imagine this gets delisted entirely, but will have some sort of weird value to it in places that don't pull sales. It's also a reprint with an ugly plastic cover over it, so, yikes all around. 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

That was posted way back on like page 20, but given how fast this thread is growing, you're certainly forgiven if it was overlooked or forgotten.