• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 1:45 PM, Beastfeast said:

I have for reason B.  

So if you’re buying a variant for $500 (for example) do you look at the scarcity/availability of it? Does that factor in when you buy a book you think will gain value down the line? Or are you looking at things like cover art, hype, collector excitement, etc. (I’m not trying to trap you into an explanation - I’m just curious)

On 8/11/2022 at 2:51 PM, graffix13 said:

I don't expect CGC to comment anymore on this. They have money and power and we're still going to send our books into them to get slabbed. It is what it is.

I predict that CGC will announce that they will no longer grade these books due to Marvel's statement that they were unauthorized. The number of books is miniscule. The potential profit from grading these books is just as small. The pros are completely outweighed by the cons. It's really a no brainer.

Edited by Red84

So from all of this, my opinion only.

Black flag will sell multiple books to flippers and when it comes to actually comic collectors they limit what they buy and Jack up the price!

CGC will grade after market altered books with dubious grading skills!

Influencers with social platforms that enjoy a following and income stream from ads possibly? Disappear from social media when they are connected to a scandal!

Got it 👍

On 8/11/2022 at 3:55 PM, Dr. Balls said:

So if you’re buying a variant for $500 (for example) do you look at the scarcity/availability of it? Does that factor in when you buy a book you think will gain value down the line? Or are you looking at things like cover art, hype, collector excitement, etc. (I’m not trying to trap you into an explanation - I’m just curious)

I remembered I also spent $500 on a platinum Spiderman 1 that was for my PC.  So Reason A, also.  

To answer your question, there was no thought behind it except if I was able to sell it quickly or not.  I mean, it has to fall into the collector excitement/collectability category.  I also am almost never holding variants long term (unless I bought them for myself) because I don't want to be holding the bag if it drops.  Keep in mind I've spent that much maybe 3 times ever?  Mostly, I'm a $1/$5 bin bandit.  

EDIT: But someone who actually buys and collects variants will obviously be a better data point.  The point of even posting was that people buy variants for lots of reasons.  I think it's nuts to spend $500 on something like this but to someone who doesn't collect comics, they'd think you were crazy for spending $500 on any book.  

Edited by Beastfeast

The only thing I've learned, is, where are all the Variant chasers left holding the bag?

Surely there was a loss on some variants somewhere? I'm not sure that I'm seeing any real fallout other than the slabbing process....

idk, this would be the time to speak up if variants really are a trap and money is being lost?. I guess not 

This is one variant among many? :flipbait: The only complaint is some "missing out on obtaining their copy?" and that it might not should have been blue label?

C'mon, are the comics really making $ hand over fist and this is the only detriment of a blue label?

sounds like everyone is silently happy? and just moving on to the next? so this will all blow over? as has been done for a long time?

Go To Winchester Grab A Pint GIF - Go To Winchester Grab A Pint And Wait  For This To All Blow Over - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/11/2022 at 3:56 PM, Red84 said:

I predict that CGC will announce that they will no longer grade these books due to Marvel's statement that they were unauthorized.

CGC never graded these books in the first place. They encapsulated them with the grade that BF paid for.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:37 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I’m not going to get any real answers, am I?

lol

It's too bad none of these influencers frequent the boards so you could ask them that question, they're such huge fans of this variant that they picked up 125 copies! Probably so they can read one and keep the other copy mint? Oh, wait, I nearly forgot, nerdy_girl has mentioned many times on Instagram that she never reads comics.

INFLUENCERS.thumb.jpg.89aef8445f1cb3acabb32c6131a73d4d.jpg

On 8/11/2022 at 1:11 PM, Black_Adam said:

It's too bad none of these influencers frequent the boards so you could ask them that question, they're such huge fans of this variant that they picked up 125 copies! Probably so they can read one and keep the other copy mint? Oh, wait, I nearly forgot, nerdy_girl has mentioned many times on Instagram that she never reads comics.

INFLUENCERS.thumb.jpg.89aef8445f1cb3acabb32c6131a73d4d.jpg

That's what she said. 

@kav

On 8/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The only thing I've learned, is, where are all the Variant chasers left holding the bag?

Surely there was a loss on some variants somewhere? I'm not sure that I'm seeing any real fallout other than the slabbing process....

idk, this would be the time to speak up if variants really are a trap and money is being lost?. I guess not 

This is one variant among many? :flipbait: The only complaint is some "missing out on obtaining their copy?" and that it might not should have been blue label?

C'mon, are the comics really making $ hand over fist and this is the only detriment of a blue label?

sounds like everyone is silently happy? and just moving on to the next? so this will all blow over? as has been done for a long time?

Go To Winchester Grab A Pint GIF - Go To Winchester Grab A Pint And Wait  For This To All Blow Over - Discover & Share GIFs

I'm not saying that's good or bad, remains to be seen.

If each variant is limited enough to where the variants left holding the bag is small enough to not have a voice, it'll just keep going infinitum.

Was just double checking and sounds like the blue label is the only issue. I don't collect acetate covers so why does the layperson care? Other than shouting credibility and trust is a gray area at the top of their lungs. When in reality they're perfectly fine with this non issue that won't happen again 😂 this is me explaining if I have this right. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/11/2022 at 4:13 PM, Black_Adam said:

Hopefully there will be a boycott of their booth in Boston.

What about CGC they can't get out of this scott free, as far as I'm concerned they're just as guilty here as BF or worse. They clearly were paid for grades which makes all my slabs grades a joke.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, billsid said:

What about CGC they can't get out of this scott free, as far as I'm concerned they're just as guilty here as BF or worse. They clearly were paid for grades which makes all my slabs grades a joke.

I'm thinking that if CGC has such a hard-on for the Benjamins that they'll give grades for cash, should I be worried that I didn't pay for Fast Track?

On 8/11/2022 at 4:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't collect acetate covers so why does the layperson care? Other than shouting credibility and trust is a gray area at the top of their lungs. When in reality they're perfectly fine with this non issue that won't happen again

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying this is a non issue?

On 8/11/2022 at 2:26 PM, kav said:

Its tulip bulb speculation.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:36 PM, Dr. Balls said:

:facepalm:
Good lord, every response from every person and every company in the world sounds like this.

This is what the world has become. Endless non-committing inoffensive arsecovering answers to the most basic of questions ABOUT ANYTHING AT ALL.

C677D7DD-84D2-48E5-8526-79AB58AA1D3E.gif.bc0f63985e147a92abba67f9ae4c9b47.gif

On 8/11/2022 at 2:37 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I’m not going to get any real answers, am I?

lol

On 8/11/2022 at 2:38 PM, kav said:

it is a real answer-people are buying this book because they expect it to rise in value as it has been doing.

20220811_135526.gif.aabadec342c2236f908f25c8e66fbda4.gif

On 8/11/2022 at 12:56 PM, Red84 said:

I predict that CGC will announce that they will no longer grade these books due to Marvel's statement that they were unauthorized. The number of books is miniscule. The potential profit from grading these books is just as small. The pros are completely outweighed by the cons. It's really a no brainer.

This is 100% what they should do, and they should pull the existing graded books from the census and invalidate the serial numbers on those gift grades.  :applause:

Honestly though, if they just do this, then after the next shiny object floats by, people won't be talking about this any more.