• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 12:53 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wait.  Is CGC not grading the acetate?  I assumed they were grading these the same way they graded the invisible comics which were just acetate.

Or are they supposed to be ignoring the acetate cover and grading the book underneath?

They should be doing both - as they 'stand by what they grade' surely?

Edited by Beige

On 8/11/2022 at 10:59 PM, Buzzetta said:

Any good or should I put my 9.8 up for sale in the forum or comiclink? 

I have liked it so far, but I am only 3 episodes into it.  I sold my 4x signed 9.8 a year ago.  Probably a mistake on my part.

Come on CGC, still no statement walking back your previous statement? As is you've created a green light for companies to go against Marvel's rules and make their own variants, or suffer in the marketplace now. That's hardly fair nor right. 

On 8/11/2022 at 8:28 PM, Lazyboy said:

Apparently you need more of the reasons. Okay

The original was polybagged. This can cause grading issues.

The original was mostly widely distributed, not kept together by a single, original buyer (retailer).

The original was barely submitted at first. Just over 100 copies in the first 2+ years. It was nothing very special, nor was it treated as such.

None of this invalidates concerns about the grades for the acetate-covered crap, but there is no comparison to be made.

I believe he's talking about the original retailer facsimile Crain cover before the acetate was added?

Where are we here? I didn’t do last night’s homework and skipped ahead 15 pages in this thread. 

I see Black Flag has no major social media push of its Boston etate books. This could mean nothing or that they were given a stern talking to and finger wagging by Marvel. 

On 8/12/2022 at 12:15 AM, DrunkWooky said:

Where are we here? I didn’t do last night’s homework and skipped ahead 15 pages in this thread. 

I see Black Flag has no major social media push of its Boston etate books. This could mean nothing or that they were given a stern talking to and finger wagging by Marvel. 

Just waiting for the live feed....

F58CCB0D-AF29-4AB1-921E-58EF7966F74B.thumb.jpeg.7629265b2577e4d9b565b1e246d6feb3.jpeg

On 8/11/2022 at 10:09 PM, FFB said:

This drama is better than a lot of what's on TV. 

So, one of my favorite pass times is watching corporate train wrecks. 

There’s a Transformers message bird where Megalopolis Toys’ downfall was chronicled. 

There was the U.S. Marshal’s auction of the Gonk Droid Vintage Star Wars focus collector’s collection after it came to light he was embezzling his day job investors’ accounts to pay for his hundreds of Gonk Droids. 

Oh and who can forget the slow burn that is the current Heritage Auction/Wata games situation?

I was trying to explain to one of my coworkers today how I wasn’t going to watch TV tonight, just catch up on acetategate  

On 8/12/2022 at 12:15 AM, DrunkWooky said:

I think you want to read this post.  Pretty much the only new news in the last 15 pages :wink:

On 8/11/2022 at 6:29 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I don’t buy it. Danielle and I have talked comics for hours at nycc. There’s no way she doesn’t read them. Maybe she doesn’t read moderns (I know plenty of people who don’t) but she’s read the classics.

I have never met her I just follow her on Instagram. I know she has made that statement before about not reading comics in her posts. It's the kind of comment that's hard to forget when you're a comic fan. But she has like one billion instagram posts so I'm not even going to try chasing down where I saw it. Ask her the next time you see her at NYCC or maybe someone else can. I know she and her husband have a lot of friends here on the boards.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:33 PM, Buzzetta said:

Apples and Oranges... 

If you do something similar in the comic book world they just disbar you and you get to create your own auction site. 

I Understood That Reference | Know Your Meme

On 8/11/2022 at 9:18 PM, DrunkWooky said:

There was the U.S. Marshal’s auction of the Gonk Droid Vintage Star Wars focus collector’s collection after it came to light he was embezzling his day job investors’ accounts to pay for his hundreds of Gonk Droids. 

Tell me more, this is the greatest thing I’ve ever read on the interwebs.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:18 PM, DrunkWooky said:

So, one of my favorite pass times is watching corporate train wrecks. 

There’s a Transformers message bird where Megalopolis Toys’ downfall was chronicled. 

Oh and who can forget the slow burn that is the current Heritage Auction/Wata games situation?

I was trying to explain to one of my coworkers today how I wasn’t going to watch TV tonight, just catch up on acetategate  

Screenshot 2022-08-11 9.38.10 PM.png

On 8/11/2022 at 6:46 PM, Troy Division said:

CGC is not responding because they feel it will 'blow over' just like their [past tense noun / verb] up handling of the 'invisible' comics for Bad Idea.
They are probably figuring out a way to place blame on Black Flag versus accepting they [past tense noun / verb] up one their main duties.  Again.

If I had to guess, it's probably more that they realize that they shouldn't have graded these, especially with a universal label, but they need to protect the integrity of their brand, so they're trying to craft a response that does that, but would also be more acceptable to the community than the false starts they offered up earlier in the thread.