• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

Wow, talk about opening up all the inner workings of what's going on.  WhatNot paying vendors to sell there?

image.thumb.png.f8f1bfa804bc6b5b30eb9b28608c8d06.png

On 8/11/2022 at 5:20 PM, Troy Division said:

Has anyone posted this yet?
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/who-are-infinite-black-of-the-black-flag-comics-acetate-covers/

Quote from the article -
But who are Infinite Black who are named on the cover?
What's their deal? 
Infinite Black Publishing is a comic book publisher

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn!!!!!

On 8/11/2022 at 7:09 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

If you want to force Marvel’s hand, as someone noted, just get a viral tweet going that they are displaying an incorrectly folded flag on “their variant cover.”  It’s a disgrace to our veterans!

I think taking this to Twitter would definitely get Marvels attention.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:16 PM, Domo Arigato said:

As long as it's a CGC 0.5 copy.

Apparently, the CGC 10's are common as dirt.

10's are not THAT common... only 10% are 10's!

I really hope there's a big line tomorrow, and then someone pushes their way to the front just as the booth opens. No, it's not a self-important narcissistic 'iNfLuEnCeR', it's Marvel's lawyer slapping them with an immediate Cease And Desist. 

On 8/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, TTony said:

image.thumb.png.f8f1bfa804bc6b5b30eb9b28608c8d06.png

$500/month seems pretty low but maybe some WhatNot sellers get even more(and some of course nothing). Anyways this makes that "reason" of selling con-variants to cover some of the cost of going there not valid because these WhatNot influencer sellers are getting their expenses to go there covered by WhatNot. 

On 8/12/2022 at 12:50 AM, ExNihilo said:
On 8/12/2022 at 12:46 AM, Every Day A Story said:

In terms of Black Flag, everyone should vote with their feet and not entertain these Frankenbooks. 

I'd prefer if people voted with their hands and mouth by pointing and laughing as they walked past the Black Flag booth.

+1 

The whole crowd should look like this guy.

boo-boo-this-man.gif.31d9bf9059dc6d261cb3ca10567bea11.gif

so, let me ask a perfectly innocent question about grading. If the original book was not inclined to grade so highly, leading to speculation that the was a pay for grade thing: because an acetate cover was added to the book, and then graded, is the acetate cover now the cover that's graded, and the original cover is not subject to the same grading criteria because now it's considered part of the interior? Is this the real CGC-hack to get a blue label? An acetate cover of course can get a higher grade because it's not paper. (shrug)

On 8/11/2022 at 9:57 PM, ExNihilo said:

So who's going to Fan Expo Boston tomorrow?

If anyone finds a YT live, please link here.  

On 8/11/2022 at 10:36 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

I went to the store, returned and missed forty posts. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Youtube influencers selling kinda funny shirt. 30 dollars.

Screenshot_20220812-013421_Instagram.jpg

Who else wants multiple copies of the same book besides a reseller, flipper or influencer?  Maybe a hoarder?  

On 8/11/2022 at 11:04 PM, Cat said:

I really hope there's a big line tomorrow, and then someone pushes their way to the front just as the booth opens. No, it's not a self-important narcissistic 'iNfLuEnCeR', it's Marvel's lawyer slapping them with an immediate Cease And Desist. 

I would chip in to a gofundme if someone would cut the line and get it on video

On 8/11/2022 at 11:22 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

+1 

The whole crowd should look like this guy.

boo-boo-this-man.gif.31d9bf9059dc6d261cb3ca10567bea11.gif

Yes!  Nothing gets things going like a crowd of protesters.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:39 PM, kav said:

Dang I tried talking about this with some friends at the coffeeshop but everyone just started edging away from me-

Man if I brought this up to family and friends, it'll end up with them asking me why I'm still in this hobby. I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:37 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

so, let me ask a perfectly innocent question about grading. If the original book was not inclined to grade so highly, leading to speculation that the was a pay for grade thing: because an acetate cover was added to the book, and then graded, is the acetate cover now the cover that's graded, and the original cover is not subject to the same grading criteria because now it's considered part of the interior? Is this the real CGC-hack to get a blue label? An acetate cover of course can get a higher grade because it's not paper. (shrug)

Even if true, the odds of three times in a row (and the first three times doing this) getting one 10.0, three 9.9's and the rest 9.8's is impossible.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:46 PM, Every Day A Story said:

Can't believe this mess and that CGC, Clayton Crain have taken a stance on this and both alongside those said influencers have all lost my respect. 

This C2E2 book isn't a variant, it's a bootleg/unofficial item! The Stray Dogs example CGC used to justify their actions here was an official product. CGC should recall the grades and books.

In terms of Black Flag, everyone should vote with their feet and not entertain these Frankenbooks. 

As this grows and grows I have gone from giving Clayton crain benefit ofthe doubt to realising he is likely just as complicit with what went down 

After that latest  bleeding cool story seems like plan was a mass publicity stunt and book drive for their own new self published works, using their left over marvel stock as the  vehicle for said publicity and quick highly speculative buck. 

Why oh why did CGC board that train when all can see the tracks  lead off a cliff 

Edited by MGH

On 8/11/2022 at 11:52 PM, MGH said:

As this grows and grows I have gone from giving Clayton crain benefit ofthe doubt to realising he is likely just as complicit with what went down 

After that latest  bleeding cool story seems like plan was a mass publicity stunt and book drive for their own new self published works, using their left over marvel stock as the  vehicle for said publicity and quick highly speculative buck. 

Why oh why did CGC board that train when all can see the tracks  lead off a cliff 

Clayton canceling his C2E2 appearance and now his Boston appearance is not a good look, even if he has a legitimate reason.

On 8/12/2022 at 2:06 AM, ExNihilo said:

Clayton canceling his C2E2 appearance and now his Boston appearance is not a good look, even if he has a legitimate reason.

:gossip: he probably actually has a paid PR rep who is telling him not to appear. 

Unlike Black Flag who does their own shameless self promotion..

On 8/12/2022 at 2:22 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm sure they have, it's more a case of what they do about it.

Companies pay their leaders a healthy wage as the buck ultimately stops with them and it is their responsibility to take the rough with the smooth. A lot of people are tagging CGC Mike for an update but he wouldn't have had anything to do with this and likely has his hands tied. So we're piling the pressure on the wrong people. 

If we feel strongly enough about the very serious accusations that are being made here and elsewhere, we should put pressure on those at the top. The last time I looked, Matt Nelson was President of CGC. It's his responsibility to respond to this, if so, not employees like Mike who are being put in an impossible position. 

Let's all write to Matt. He's the President of CGC. He should answer to the accusation of grade selling.

Very good point.

@Matt Nelson