• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 8:17 AM, eddly said:

Perhaps the next response we see is the complete removal of this message board.

I know, tacky to quote yourself, but I predict before the end of this weekend, every thread on the front page of general will be about c2e2 etc. 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:17 AM, eddly said:

Perhaps the next response we see is the complete removal of this message board.

This would be a very bad look for them. Just look like you’re trying to suppress public opinion on the matter. Oh and you’d be unsuccessful in doing so since the conversation would just continue on other social media platforms. The most likely outcome is no further statements or actions from CGC. They already said they stand by it, then doubled down, they’re not going to back off and no reason to triple down with another message or action like deleting the boards. 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:53 AM, MrBedrock said:

:signfunny:

Richie, maybe you and some of the other large retailers who are also Overstreet advisors and CGC member dealers could write an open letter to CGC with everyone's name on it.  That would be hard to ignore.  

There was, perhaps, some CGC wiggle room on giving these comics high grades and universal cases if Infinite Black (apparently a real comic book publisher) was listed as the publisher. Then they could say IB published this comic with an acetate cover, that is the cover to grade, and everything else is "pages". However, CGC could not do that as the actual comic is UF 4.

With Marvel listed as the publisher on the CGC case, but having a large, noticeable item attached post-production by another company, there are 2 options in grading: 1) A universal label but graded as if the piece is not there (but the staple holes still are) or 2). A Green label.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:01 AM, Atomic Ponkie said:

Is anybody going to Boston Fan Expo today? I'm very curious to see someone record the lines, books, etc of Black Flag. You never know if anything interesting will happen. 

You just know there will be more than one person recording this.  I am just waiting for it all to go down so we can watch.  If someone finds a live stream, post it here please.  

On 8/12/2022 at 8:03 AM, october said:

They would manage. CGC ceased caring about vintage comic dealers years ago. Their money train is fed by the legions of people submitting moderns in quantity, helped along by hybebeasts and "influencers" (that word makes me throw up in my mouth a little). 

Someone on a card forum said that nearly HALF of PSA's basketball subs are from cards made in the last two years. It would not shock me if comics had similar numbers. 

I'm sure they could "manage," but if a significant portion of the member dealers/Overstreet advisors are all on the same page and against what you did, you can't really ignore that without running a non-zero risk that the market as a whole turns against your brand.  

On 8/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, october said:

They would manage. CGC ceased caring about vintage comic dealers years ago. Their money train is fed by the legions of people submitting moderns in quantity, helped along by hybebeasts and "influencers" (that word makes me throw up in my mouth a little). 

Someone on a card forum said that nearly HALF of PSA's basketball subs are from cards made in the last two years. It would not shock me if comics had similar numbers. 

@valiantman ?

-bc

On 8/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, october said:

I forget where it was mentioned, but CGC receives 30,000-40,000 new submissions every WEEK.  Their money train is absolutely 90% new modern subs

On 8/12/2022 at 8:06 AM, Nic8612 said:

I forget where it was mentioned, but CGC receives 30,000-40,000 new submissions every WEEK.  Their money train is absolutely 90% new modern subs

That's why they should be worried the most about this scandal.  If the community thinks that they are selling 10s and 9.9s, that's a horrible thing for the trust in their brand.  As I'm sure everyone has noticed, this story isn't limited to this forum.  It's literally everywhere.  Every site where comics are discussed, almost every YouTuber/Instagrammer/WhatNotter, they're all talking about this and the general tone everywhere I've seen it discussed is outrage and scorn.  

On 8/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, Gonzimodo said:

I just want to reiterate how ridiculous (and somewhat insulting) it is that the American flag is drawn incorrectly (white stripes on edges instead of red) on the back and that the folded flag on the acetate is drawn incorrectly, with the stripes peeking out from the folds.  I really didn't expect such amateurish work from Clayton Crain if he's really the one responsible for that.  Everything about this book is a clown show.  I can't wait to see what today brings. :popcorn:

Comic says Marvel on it, this is Marvel's incompetence as well.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:48 AM, Prince Namor said:

It’s pretty scary to think that at a certain point we may have to look back and say Danny Dupcake was just ‘ahead of his time.’

🫤

Thats sarcasm of course, but…

LOL. I was thinking the same thing last night while reading through this cess pool.