• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 5:32 PM, Marbleman3 said:

You have a company touting that it’s blue label slabs stand for one thing and customers and others rely on that to spend a significant amount of money for that label. If truly created in the way being reported, these blue slab acetates would be bootlegs produced PURPOSELY to deceive. There is no other way to describe it. None.

+💯% CGC need to address this

On 8/12/2022 at 2:37 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

so, let me ask a perfectly innocent question about grading. If the original book was not inclined to grade so highly, leading to speculation that the was a pay for grade thing: because an acetate cover was added to the book, and then graded, is the acetate cover now the cover that's graded, and the original cover is not subject to the same grading criteria because now it's considered part of the interior? Is this the real CGC-hack to get a blue label? An acetate cover of course can get a higher grade because it's not paper. (shrug)

They grade the outmost cover only. That’s been said several times in this thread. Look at the typical grade for those blank variant sketch covers. They almost exclusively get 9.8s. Nobody is comparing a blank ASM850 to the regular cover and asking why the grades skew higher. There is no conspiracy beyond a thick card stock cover is harder to ding up than your usual flimsy paper cover. Same with this Flag “variant.”

So yeah you could publish a book with a acetate overlay over a card stock image over a “cover” printed on tracing paper (using 6 staples) and by their standards & criteria get all 9.8s or better since the top layer would be bulletproof.

On 8/12/2022 at 2:22 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Let's all write to Matt. He's the President of CGC. He should answer to the accusations being made here.

Yes

On 8/12/2022 at 2:22 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Let's all write to Matt. He's the President of CGC. He should answer to the accusations being made here.

Yes

On 8/12/2022 at 6:20 AM, jsilverjanet said:

The saddest part of all 3 threads regarding these issues is that the concerns aren’t easy to quantify behind all the posts 

they are easily dismissed as “it’s just a few making all the noise”

‘probably being said “it’s those same trouble makers etc”

Ask Matt about this too.

On 8/12/2022 at 4:20 AM, jsilverjanet said:

The saddest part of all 3 threads regarding these issues is that the concerns aren’t easy to quantify behind all the posts 

they are easily dismissed as “it’s just a few making all the noise”

‘probably being said “it’s those same trouble makers etc”

What we need is a poll for them to truly understand the number of people who have an issue with what CGC has done

If you want to dismiss it, as in you work for CGC and you want to sweep it under the rug, you’ll find a way to dismiss it regardless with or without a poll. But if you actually look thru the posts there’s a lot of people voicing concerns - everyone from regular boardies to longtime lurkers creating accounts just for this to longtime boardies who rarely post these days. Not to mention this isn’t the only place this is getting talked about, it’s all over YT and other social media being discussed. It seems fairly obvious this isn’t just a few “usual trouble makers” type of situation to me. 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:57 AM, MrBedrock said:

Ask Matt about this too.

I tagged him in the Iceman thread. Those who keep tagging other employees here is pointless. 

they should only tag @mnelsonCGC

On 8/12/2022 at 9:07 AM, s-dali said:

Does anyone else think that Clayton Crain's days of being an artist for Marvel are over?

For all we know he ran it by Marvel before doing it. We will see I guess. 

On 8/11/2022 at 6:18 PM, MrBedrock said:

Whatever Marvel and Black Flag do really doesn't interest me or affect my business much. I would never choose to carry those types of bootlegs or variants to offer for sale to my customers. The way that CGC chose to grade them does affect customer confidence in their product and I do carry CGC graded books, so confidence in their product does affect my business.  The only response I want to hear is CGC saying that they made a mistake and retracting their position on grading and validating those unauthorized books.

On the day of this upcoming show where it's been threatened (I can't think of another word) more of these and other garage-made variants of variants are going on sale, and in the wake of these 100+ pages on the subject, this bears remembering and repeating.