• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 2:28 PM, buttock said:

Can someone clarify something for me?  Whatnot appears to be like ebay only with live sales?  

Yup. Another way to think about it is like Instagram Live Video sales, except with a built in payment system. You have to apply and be "approved" to sell. 

On 8/15/2022 at 2:31 PM, DrunkWooky said:

Yup. Another way to think about it is like Instagram Live Video sales, except with a built in payment system. You have to apply and be "approved" to sell. 

Dear God.  And people do this voluntarily?  That sounds like torture.  

On 8/15/2022 at 3:38 PM, buttock said:

If its anything like live Facebook sales, which is what I get a picture of but I dont use the app, a lot  and I mean nearly every LCS during this period has started using live Facebook sale, now one LCS has started on whatnot. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/15/2022 at 2:38 PM, buttock said:

Yes. Instead of wanting a Meet the Skrulls #1, going to ebay, finding one, and buying it within 10 minutes, you tune in to one of many sellers going live at different times throughout the days and weeks, watch for hours on end, then click "bid" versus however many others are watching and pay probably 200%-500% what you should be paying in order to "win." 

I watched and bought some things a few times, but I honestly couldn't imagine paying attention for as long as people are selling. As a curiosity, just tuning in randomly to see what was being offered, It was kinda interesting. If you're looking for one thing in particular, though, it's not ideal. 

On 8/15/2022 at 3:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If its anything like live Facebook sales, which is what I get a picture of but I dont use the app, a lot  and I mean nearly every LCS during this period has started using live Facebook sale, now one LCS has started on whatnot. 

So it may be what people are used to, by now, is my point, what's another app lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, DrunkWooky said:

Yes. Instead of wanting a Meet the Skrulls #1, going to ebay, finding one, and buying it within 10 minutes, you tune in to one of many sellers going live at different times throughout the days and weeks, watch for hours on end, then click "bid" versus however many others are watching and pay probably 200%-500% what you should be paying in order to "win." 

I watched and bought some things a few times, but I honestly couldn't imagine paying attention for as long as people are selling. As a curiosity, just tuning in randomly to see what was being offered, It was kinda interesting. If you're looking for one thing in particular, though, it's not ideal. 

Oh wow I didnt know the "bid" portion  :(

That sucks, so it can be bid up? With an established starting point?

On 8/15/2022 at 2:42 PM, DR.X said:

For the stock 4 speed muncie, or the rock crusher? :foryou:

Muncie. The stock aluminum bellhousings for that year are coveted by the Corvette guys (I was building a '70 Camaro) and after about 6 months of getting ridiculed on the Chevy chatboards for even bothering to ask about one, I managed to find a cracked one on Ebay that was repaired/welded. To which I was further told that it was worthless because it was cracked. (tsk) Tough crowd, those guys.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/15/2022 at 3:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

On 8/15/2022 at 3:46 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So it may be what people are used to, by now, is my point, what's another app lol

Comparatively all live Facebook feeds were just a bin with a claim on each book, but an auction style live feed sounds horrible. Especially if it means one book up for sale lasts longer until they get to the next. With all the Drek for sale, it's hard to sit and wait for something interesting  :sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/15/2022 at 1:44 PM, DrunkWooky said:

Any of the FB comic-sellers I've seen were BINs.

But I get the distinct impression that a lot of the "buyers" on these FB live comicbook seller accounts are OTHER sellers from other FB live accounts all hocking up each other's garbage like a bunch of shills in a 3-card street Monte game hoping to corral in a couple marks to buy their over-priced crap. Seriously. 

And the sellers invariably just flash the cover of the book still in bag and board real quick to the camera for like 0.5 seconds on the screen, say it's in "really good shape" and the shills jump on it immediately for stupid-money and so if you're a real buyer (i.e. a "mark") who's really interested in a book shown waaaaaaay in the back of their FB wall, you gotta jump on it as soon as they pull it out. 

I know for a fact you can trace a few of the buyers right back to having their OWN FB-live comic selling accounts. 

I hate those selling platforms with a vengeance. 

Edited by jcjames

On 8/15/2022 at 2:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh wow I didnt know the "bid" portion  :(

That sucks, so it can be bid up? With an established starting point?

Yeah. When a bid is made, usually, it adds another 10 seconds to the clock. So, that definitely compounds the inflated prices. So, if you bid with 1 second left, 10 seconds are added and other  buyers have 10 seconds to outbid you. 

There's a buy it now feature, but it is on a separate screen during the live feed and not as frequently used. Some people just let their live feed sit there with nothing going on for hours on end with buy it now listings available. I've heard those tactics are not terribly successful. 

If you have a bunch of sub-$10 back issues, it kind of begs the question why you don't just list them on ebay and wait however long it takes for a buyer to come along rather than tie up all your store's bandwidth with a live feed. 

It works for some things. If a book that was dollar bin last week spikes up to $50-100 because of this week's streaming episode, sure go live and auction it. As a seller, you'll do great provided you have a big enough following that you don't just get one guy low-ball bidding you. But for low dollar filler issues, what are we doing here?