• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC- Explain how Black Flag unreleased books already have identical census and only 10s?
3 3

80 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 4:43 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I wonder if we aren't heading toward a market in which publishers submit hundreds or thousands of books for slabbing hot off the printing presses and then out to the market at a marked-up price.

In fairness we had that 20 years ago.  Wizard 9.5's anyone?

On 8/11/2022 at 1:11 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Leaving the issues behind about modification, or if it should be green or blue label, or marvel's involvement, or influencers or ANYTHING.  Straight up, the only thing to be discussed here is this.  How is it that UNRELEASED BOOKS already has graded copies, that those graded copies include 9.9's and a 10, and are the EXACT SAME DISTRIBUTION of grades.

To whit:

Deadpool Nerdy 30 #1 Acetate "99 Problems" comic to be released at Boston Fan Expo (which doesn't start until tomorrow) 10 submissions, all graded. 1 10, 3 9.9, 6 9.8.  Out of 1,015 submissions (not including the 10 of the 99 Problems Acetate) there are ZERO 10s and only 2 9.9s.  That's it.  So MAGICALLY this submission of 10 books just HAPPENED to have a 10 and more 9.9s than the entire submitted print line up to this point?  O and its on books that were ADMITTEDLY handled roughly to disassemble and reassemble and they are grading BETTER than books straight from the printer???

Ghost Rider #1 (2022) Zymotica Vs" Acetate Edition again to be released at Boston Fan Expo, 10 submissions... IDENTICAL OUTCOME.  1 10, 3 9.9's, 6 9.8s. Not counting those 10, 1,273 copies were submitted across the various first printing variants.  ZERO 10s and ZERO 9.9s.  How is it that Black Flag MAGICALLY gets 40% of their books to come back in unbelievable condition when not a single other person can crack the 9.9 let alone a 10.  

Heck even the Ultimate Fallout book that we're all talking about is suspect.  1 10, 5 9.9s and 4 9.8s out of 10 submitted.  However, not counting those 10 we have 3,218 Ultimate Fallout 4 Facsimile's  that have been submitted since 2021 when it was published.  3,218.  Not one copy, not one single one has graded higher than a 9.8.  0/3218.  FIVE!!!! of the 10 graded higher than 9.8 on the acetate edition?!  50% of their books are perfect?  AGAIN, on a book that was manhandled after it was printed.

No wait, let me guess...

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 3.40.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 3.51.49 PM.png

I wonder what kind of quote CGC gives you for a guarantee package deal of 1 10, 3 9.9's, 6 9.8s?

This is opening up a huge flood gate of other dealers doing the same thing to make some easy $.  Hey if you can get a CGC 9.9 or 10 from these kinds of books and sell for a few hundreds or thousands, why not... There's some sort of negotiation/inside job going on here that's for sure.

This is kinda like that huge fiasco regarding the custom labels and restored books, but on a grander scale.

Edited by Dark Knight

On 8/11/2022 at 1:43 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I wonder if we aren't heading toward a market in which publishers submit hundreds or thousands of books for slabbing hot off the printing presses and then out to the market at a marked-up price.

Why wouldn't they? I assume they are in it for the money and publishers have been following trends since the 1950s. Why piddle around with $4 covers when you can sell slabbed variants for 50X.  

On 8/11/2022 at 2:16 PM, Dark Knight said:

This is opening up a huge flood gate of other dealers doing the same thing to make some easy $.  Hey if you can get a CGC 9.9 or 10 from these kinds of books and sell for a few hundreds or thousands, why not... There's some sort of negotiation/inside job going on here that's for sure.

This is kinda like that huge fiasco regarding the custom labels and restored books, but on a grander scale.

images.jpg

On 8/11/2022 at 2:29 PM, Gaard said:

Remember when it was fun getting your comics graded? Those were the days. I had nothing but praise for CGC ... that hasn't happened in a long time.

CGC and their current competition all seem to be going sideways. Maybe this will open the door for a new player to emerge...

Waitaminnit! Didn't Steve Borock just partner up with a company that currently grades thousands of comics and is renowned for their tight grading!? :idea:

On 8/11/2022 at 5:42 PM, Black_Adam said:

CGC and their current competition all seem to be going sideways. Maybe this will open the door for a new player to emerge...

Waitaminnit! Didn't Steve Borock just partner up with a company that currently grades thousands of comics and is renowned for their tight grading!? :idea:

Mycomicshop doesn’t grade comics. There is no “guarantee”. Once it leaves their hands the grade is meaningless. But I do trust buying from them because if they sell you a VF+ that book is actually a vf+.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:28 PM, Iceman399 said:

If you get any answers here send them to explain how the new stapling covers works in my thread. I'll do the same if they answer me. 

I don’t think either of us should hold our breath.