• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influencers Strike Again! Peach Momoko Overwhelmed at NYCC
5 5

113 posts in this topic

Here's Rich Johnston's minimal summary:

Peach Momoko - Too Popular For New York Comic Con? (bleedingcool.com)

Additionally, from what I'm hearing:

-The crowd was comprised heavily of WhatNot sellers and other social media-centric vendors

-Some fans were wilin' out both in line and directly to Peach herself, creating security concerns

-Peach eventually had enough and cut the signing short

-She has no plans to return to a convention here possibly ever again*

:popcorn:

*Update: this appears to not be the case, as she mentioned on her Facebook page that she will still attend conventions in North America again albeit with some new rules and restrictions in place

Edited by Ryan.

No Surprise given the types who comprised the line. Sadly their ilk is far too representative of the hobby as a whole.

It is amazing how many Reed-POP permits in ahead of the 10am show opening. Its high time they do something to actually govern Exhibitors, Exhibitor "helpers", alleged Press, Sellers, Artists "helpers",  the way they do attendees. 

Its reached the point where anyone assisting in carrying a box before 10am for the factions I mentioned above is permitted early entry.  

One day I'll write up the 2022 sleazy greediness I saw at display (front of the counter not CGC folks) just in the 7-10 minutes I spent on the submission line at CGC.

P.S. I've never heard of  "Peach Momoko" but i'm out of touch with pretty much everything post copper age. Sounds like a great name for a cocktail.

Edited by MAR1979

I think I know what an “Influencer” is. I fail to understand what an influencer does to ruin the experience of the young woman signing for free. If someone would link to an influencer doing this I would appreciate it

On 10/11/2022 at 2:28 PM, NoMan said:

I think I know what an “Influencer” is. I fail to understand what an influencer does to ruin the experience of the young woman signing for free. If someone would link to an influencer doing this I would appreciate it

I think theoretically, most normal signings go like this:

I bring my book or picture, lay it in front of the guest and say, "I love your work", and the guest signs and the line moves.  Possibly, the customer might take a picture of the guest signing.  Every so often, someone (if the line is fairly short or they paid extra or its a child) will ask to take a picture with the guest, and the guest may or may not comply with that guest.

With influencers, they might be trying to video the entire thing, talking loudly or making a video in front of the signer, or wearing a stupid costume, or doing a stupid stunt that may involve props or loud noises, or require extra room, and might take active participation from the guest.  Not to mention getting multiple signatures.  So they waste a lot of time and it feels like the influencer monetizing the situation more than the creator signing something for true fans.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:54 PM, revat said:

I think theoretically, most normal signings go like this:

I bring my book or picture, lay it in front of the guest and say, "I love your work", and the guest signs and the line moves.  Possibly, the customer might take a picture of the guest signing.  Every so often, someone (if the line is fairly short or they paid extra or its a child) will ask to take a picture with the guest, and the guest may or may not comply with that guest.

With influencers, they might be trying to video the entire thing, talking loudly or making a video in front of the signer, or wearing a stupid costume, or doing a stupid stunt that may involve props or loud noises, or require extra room, and might take active participation from the guest.  Not to mention getting multiple signatures.  So they waste a lot of time and it feels like the influencer monetizing the situation more than the creator signing something for true fans.

Thank you. I’d still like a link to this idiotic behavior to see it in action if anyone has one. 

my guess is this will all come crashing to the ground one day and all that will be left is us crazy about the story and art. I don’t think this hobby (world) is in a healthy spot. 

On 10/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, atomised said:

I've heard about WhatNot but I'm not on the platform.  Out of curiosity, why is it garbage as people have pointed out here?

I thought the platform itself, or the concept anyway, was just fine. And then it immediately got overrun by the most annoying "this is fire" people on the planet. And now it seems like all of comic hyping has found a central hub there.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, warden5523 said:

I thought the platform itself, or the concept anyway, was just fine. And then it immediately got overrun by the most annoying "this is fire" people on the planet. And now it seems like all of comic hyping has found a central hub there.

It's the ICP version of comic collecting. That was my impression after watching auctions for about an hour on there. But, it fills some sort of need for buying out there. The comic book hype machine is running at full bore - this old man of 49 years can't - and probably doesn't want to - keep up with it. 

On 10/11/2022 at 4:18 PM, atomised said:

I've heard about WhatNot but I'm not on the platform.  Out of curiosity, why is it garbage as people have pointed out here?

I think of it as the LuLaRoe of the comic collector community. A gang of sellers competing with each other in a race that never ends.

Saw it first hand on Friday and it was the case the entire show. Peach is a professional and handled it well. This incident are the same issues with the industry and sketches/remarks. People want to take advantage of a popular artist and get extra money in their pocket.

Edited by Greengiant