• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Universe live movies, TV, animation, gaming roadmap
4 4

286 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2023 at 7:49 PM, AGGIEZ said:
On 1/31/2023 at 11:37 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

So, Shazam sticks around, but the Superman he directly interacted with doesn't?

Gotta feed the cancel culture…

Don't worry. If the next movie does not do better than the first (which is a very low bar) then Shazam will be toast as well.

IMO the biggest problem - aside from my personal feelings about all of the 'reboot' BS - is that they're combining Theatrical with Streaming, Animated, etc. They're making Phase Bore mistakes from the get-go.

To me, that would be the equivalent of a new grading company starting off with all of Comics, Trading Cards, and Video Games, without having even 1 of them completely sorted out.

Tony Stark Not A Great Plan GIF - Tony Stark Not A Great Plan No - Discover  & Share GIFs

As a casual DC fan, this isn't exactly renewing my faith that they can right the ship. I find the announcements pretty underwhelming.

I think the only thing I am really looking forward to is Swamp Thing with hopes it leads to JL Dark.

I also don't know why they could not have done a "soft reboot" and kept all the main players, just improved the stories and direction and added new characters to the mix like GL and Martian Manhunter.

After finally watching the video, I have faith that the creators of this "new" universe will approach the stories with a genuine love of the characters and a focus on storytelling. 

He did make a loser like Peacemaker enjoyable, after all.

Gunn at least conveys a passion for these characters that I hope will be evident when we watch these projects unfold.

And, who cares about the plan? If we get a couple great movies out of this then I am excited.

On 2/1/2023 at 7:26 AM, johnenock said:

After finally watching the video, I have faith that the creators of this "new" universe will approach the stories with a genuine love of the characters and a focus on storytelling. 

He did make a loser like Peacemaker enjoyable, after all.

Gunn at least conveys a passion for these characters that I hope will be evident when we watch these projects unfold.

And, who cares about the plan? If we get a couple great movies out of this then I am excited.

Geoff Johns took the same approach of genuine love of the characters and a focus on storytelling, but it did not translate from comics to the screen. I think Gunn may be stretched too thin with this - he should not be involved in writing or directing, but just oversee the entire thing like Feige. Is he really going to have the time to do that while being focused on his individual project(s)?

I just want a couple good flicks that have DC characters. Who cares if there are duds here and there? No one at Marvel does. They have plenty of bad ones. DC makes plenty of bad ones. I can count on two hands the amount of good movies(meaning movies I enjoyed) featuring super-heroes whether it be Marvel or DC.

Though you are probably right about being stretched too thin. A lot of writing, directing and then being in charge of oversight might be a bit much.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:23 AM, kimik said:

Don't worry. If the next movie does not do better than the first (which is a very low bar) then Shazam will be toast as well.

I agree 100%.  Shazam 2 does well, he stays.  Flops, then bye bye.  I think the same could be said for all 4 DC movies slated in 2023.    Is Ezra a weirdo? Sure. But if he could bring in a billion at the box office, he will become miraculously rehabilitated and go on a talk show sympathy tour.    In the words of Puff Daddy, "Its all about the Benjamins". 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:34 AM, eastriver400 said:

I agree 100%.  Shazam 2 does well, he stays.  Flops, then bye bye.  I think the same could be said for all 4 DC movies slated in 2023.    Is Ezra a weirdo? Sure. But if he could bring in a billion at the box office, he will become miraculously rehabilitated and go on a talk show sympathy tour.    In the words of Puff Daddy, "Its all about the Benjamins". 

Definitely

Heavy Showers GIF - Make It Rain P Diddy Diddy GIFs

Edited by kimik

DC Studios' heads have confirmed that The Flash's director will be returning for more projects with the company. James Gunn and Peter Safran revealed the beginning of the slate for their tenure yesterday. While being asked about The Flash as a mechanism to bring about the reboot from the DCEU, they mentioned the efforts of Andy and Barbara Muschietti. Safran argued that the universe would have been in motion without that maneuvering. "We had input on it for sure, but there's nothing we had to do in order to set up our universe," he explained. 

The director and producer duo have been at work on this movie for a while now. Initial whispers say that Ezra Miller's turn as The Scarlet Speedster actually works beautifully. But, until audiences see the full product, the optimism is just that. Still, Gunn and Safran must be pretty impressed by whatever's on film to bring the team aboard their new venture with Warner Bros. Discovery.  

Gunn added, "What we did, we're very close with Andy and Barbara, the director and producer. And he's one of the guys that he's going to be doing some more stuff for us. And he's just done something really spectacular with that movie."

Question - where is Aquaman in this lineup?

Jason Momoa was trending on Twitter at some point last week stating that he had a new surprise coming from DC - it was ambiguous whether he was referring to further Aquaman work or hinting at Lobo.

Did I miss him in this lineup?

Reading a lot of these responses make sense. 
It feels like there’s a hopeful, caution… to any of this. 

I feel, like they are taking the Marvel approach again.

Some others have already mentioned this and I like their perspective. 

Let’s focus on 1 good thing, and maybe the next, and make that a good thing, and the next. 

I agree that creating some sort of narrative around it all is vital, but by sharing that with people, you’re either inviting negativity, scepticism, or flat out disinterest. 

I appreciate what Gunn is trying to do. I think what he should have done instead is just: Do, whatever it is they are doing, and move forward. Stop informing everyone of everything 4 years in advance. It doesn’t help when you’ve had a broken track record. No one is going to come at this with high hopes. 

Marvel gets away with it because they’ve solidified a base camp, where, generally speaking, people don’t concern themselves whether something will be good or not, but rather how good it will be in comparison…

DC has yet to earn that thoroughbred.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:51 PM, kimik said:

I agree for the most part. From my greedy capitalist perspective, the Creature Commados (WWT #93 should pop) announcement and Brave & the Bold focusing on Damian Wayne (Batman #655 should see some life) are fantastic news. In any case, nothing that will get the fans excited. If they had killed the Reeves Bat-verse I would have been more impressed. That locks them into mopey emo Batman for another couple of films.

Still rather odd that no one's bought the comics where the individual members first appear, as that roster was confirmed by DC lol

On 2/1/2023 at 8:03 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Question - where is Aquaman in this lineup?

Jason Momoa was trending on Twitter at some point last week stating that he had a new surprise coming from DC - it was ambiguous whether he was referring to further Aquaman work or hinting at Lobo.

Did I miss him in this lineup?

Gunn: "I think that we’ve gotten lucky with the next four movies, frankly, because we have Shazam, which leads into Flash, which resets everything, which then goes into Blue Beetle, which is totally disconnected. He can totally be a part of the DCU, [and that] goes into Aquaman, which leads into Superman, our first big project."

On 2/2/2023 at 8:41 AM, Bart Allen said:

Still rather odd that no one's bought the comics where the individual members first appear, as that roster was confirmed by DC lol

Gunn: "I think that we’ve gotten lucky with the next four movies, frankly, because we have Shazam, which leads into Flash, which resets everything, which then goes into Blue Beetle, which is totally disconnected. He can totally be a part of the DCU, [and that] goes into Aquaman, which leads into Superman, our first big project."

Yeah - that doesn't say anything, since Aquaman 2 is (or nearly) finished - and set to debut this Christmas.

From what I've read, they're (officially, at least) holding off on any decision on a third film until they see how this one performs.

So yeah...no more mention on how Momoa or Aquaman fit into the post 2024 DC than that of Ezra Miller or The Flash.