• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All things Russ Heath
4 4

229 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, rjpb said:

While #12 is definitely the best CC cover, #10 might be the toughest to find in better than low grade. Not that the census is always the best measure for books like these, as so few get slabbed, but there are only 4 #10's in the census, and only two better than 4.0

10 is unreasonably difficult to find in decent shape, and the reds are unstable, making many copies unattractive.  But I would say 19 is at least as good as 12.    

On 12/30/2022 at 8:53 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I only have one Russ Heath cover. It's OK, but looking through this thread, I can say without reservation that his war covers were better. I guess that's where he eventually found his groove.

2007181351231.jpg

Apart from the inking on the face of the main character, there was very little Russ Heath left after Burgos got ahold of it.  There's a good chance Tony Di Preta was involved as well.

On 1/15/2023 at 8:38 PM, buttock said:

Some of these covers are more horrific than most PCH covers.  This is Jan/Feb/Mar 54 since I can't seem to do a good job of keeping up with posting these.  What an amazing 3 month run.  

Bunch of my favorites right here!  :applause:

Heath also did "Trail of the Purple Sage" for issue 2.

For you "micro-pedigree" buffs, note this is the companion issue to issue 1. I wonder if Mary was impressed by Lawrence's comic book gifts. Maybe so, since they survived to this day.

1RangelandLove2a.thumb.jpg.e1bba6efee768427bbca7eee2c17a715.jpg

Also have another copy in better condition, but I didn't want to break up Lawrence and Mary's set.

1RangelandLove2b.thumb.jpg.3a4a7849b16794cd057c4d093752f292.jpg

On 1/19/2023 at 2:35 PM, BOOT said:

Heath also did "Trail of the Purple Sage" for issue 2.

For you "micro-pedigree" buffs, note this is the companion issue to issue 1. I wonder if Mary was impressed by Lawrence's comic book gifts. Maybe so, since they survived to this day.

1RangelandLove2a.thumb.jpg.e1bba6efee768427bbca7eee2c17a715.jpg

Also have another copy in better condition, but I didn't want to break up Lawrence and Mary's set.

1RangelandLove2b.thumb.jpg.3a4a7849b16794cd057c4d093752f292.jpg

My response is probably best put in the "Tracking down the Original Owner" thread, but since you asked... it looks like she was.  The two ended up being married.  They had a son who was born about a year after these issues went on sale, and he just passed away last year.  Another son passed away when he was only 12 back in 1967.
The two were married July 7, 1950.
Looks like Mary passed away April 4, 2009 and Lawrence passed away May 10, 2007.

Edited by Telegan