• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live - anyone buying?
3 3

120 posts in this topic

There were a lot of really really expensive items, but the range of prices really was starting from the floor all the way up to those lofty heights. I only popped in for the last few hours to see what the fuss was about, hadn't gotten involved in previous ones because I didn't want to be tempted, as expected I had a couple of pickups in that short space of time *sigh*.

There's part of me that wishes that I had gotten in earlier but then that could have been lethal given that there was good a variety of pages all in one place. There were at least 4 things on my want list, with two of them reasonably priced.

Loved that Infinite Crisis DPS and in hindsight was glad that it was marked as sold :takeit:

On 11/14/2022 at 9:53 AM, Garry Ghoul said:

A CAF collector made a purchase request to one of mys pages and asked me to confirm he got it. I mailed him back and put the page as sold! Today as I sent him my info, he told me he moved to another purchase... Gentleman!

That's incredibly bad form on his part. Once you responded to him that deal was set. Some people just have no concept of how transactions are completed and how they create responsibilities for both parties. 

On 11/14/2022 at 11:06 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

That stinks… I would never do that, but one frustrating thing for those of us on a budget ,  the limbo you are in when before someone responds to your purchase request. Saturday morning I sent a request right at 11 am - it took the seller at least 2 hours to respond.. so I couldn’t make any other purchases before hearing back. Thankfully I got the piece. I wish there was a checkout or something so you know right away. 

Same - I put in two requests and it was quite a while before I heard back on either.  Thankfully neither consumed all my budget so it wouldn't have stopped me had I seen more I liked (I didn't), but waiting is not fun!  Oh and I got them both. Huzzah!

On 11/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

Same - I put in two requests and it was quite a while before I heard back on either.  Thankfully neither consumed all my budget so it wouldn't have stopped me had I seen more I liked (I didn't), but waiting is not fun!  Oh and I got them both. Huzzah!

Nice! I went in telling myself I wasn’t buying (I lie to myself regularly lol) - immediately found 2 pieces from my want list alert - both pieces would stretch what I could spend , picked one and didn’t hear back … and of course my second choice sold while I was waiting… thankfully  when I heard back I got  it , as I knew it would be hotly contested piece. 

On 11/14/2022 at 10:53 AM, Garry Ghoul said:

A CAF collector made a purchase request to one of mys pages and asked me to confirm he got it. I mailed him back and put the page as sold! Today as I sent him my info, he told me he moved to another purchase... Gentleman!

Ah, that seems about par for the course. Flakiness abounds in the comic art community.

On 11/14/2022 at 7:53 AM, Garry Ghoul said:

Sorry to hear.  I usually don't make the piece sold until I have payment (or it's a known user and he confirms it).  Heck, I don't even mark I on hold until it's pretty much sold.  At least that way I will still get emails if others are interested (I do tell the they are not first on the list if they email)

Malvin

On 11/14/2022 at 11:40 AM, malvin said:

Sorry to hear.  I usually don't make the piece sold until I have payment (or it's a known user and he confirms it).  Heck, I don't even mark I on hold until it's pretty much sold.  At least that way I will still get emails if others are interested (I do tell the they are not first on the list if they email)

Malvin

Same here 

On 11/14/2022 at 5:40 PM, malvin said:

Malvin

Thanks Malvin!  I agree! I should have marked it on hold.

I had no intention to buy something, but I found a nice Witchblade DPS from Randy Green for a reasonable price, to I got it for my „House of the Witchblade“ collection. 

The Darkchylde cover by Jim Lee was nice. Was sold at Heritage for $2.200 in 2016 and asking price was $12k, closing price was $10k. 

Edited by EXPhysiker

That was a really nice piece. All in all, I really enjoyed looking at all the fun pieces out there. 

Maybe Bill could add a queue system in the future so the person who inquired first knows, and those in second, third, etc positions feel more comfortable moving on. 

At one point, two other buddies and I had all gone for the same piece. None of us landed it, but it would be cool to know if any of us still had a legitimate shot or which of us was most likely if it were still available. I don’t know anything about the back end of programming and design so it’s just a thought. 

On 11/14/2022 at 10:53 AM, Garry Ghoul said:

Time to "out" whoever this was...

On 11/14/2022 at 11:14 AM, Xatari said:

That was a really nice piece. All in all, I really enjoyed looking at all the fun pieces out there. 

Maybe Bill could add a queue system in the future so the person who inquired first knows, and those in second, third, etc positions feel more comfortable moving on. 

At one point, two other buddies and I had all gone for the same piece. None of us landed it, but it would be cool to know if any of us still had a legitimate shot or which of us was most likely if it were still available. I don’t know anything about the back end of programming and design so it’s just a thought. 

I was really happy with a piece I bought.  It was probably more than many of you would think it was worth, but it was worth it to me because of the high prices on published stuff by this artist.

I would think it helps the seller to not have the number of who inquired first revealed, so the seller can decide if the top person is reliable or not.  Most likely most of the bidders will be legit, but sometimes they may not be as reliable as the guy who backed out on a bid.

Added two pages I have been looking for a solid page from the The Last Ronin (tmnt) and a New Mutants dps can’t wait to get them on the wall. Both sellers were great and we worked out deals for both love the event overall as it’s kinda hunting just like any good con. Some stuff pricey some stuff priced a little high and maybe if you wait till the end of the show you get the price you were comfortable with. I love the here is my price to get this off my wall approach as well I wish people would do that with some Tony Moore WD pages :) 

On 11/15/2022 at 12:04 AM, comix4fun said:
On 11/14/2022 at 11:53 PM, Garry Ghoul said:

That's incredibly bad form on his part. Once you responded to him that deal was set. Some people just have no concept of how transactions are completed and how they create responsibilities for both parties. 

Well, keeping his identity anonymous isn't going to deter future such behavior.

I really enjoy CAL - last few times I bought and sold quite a few pieces - better than most live cons - and way easier to know what art is at the show!

That said, I can certainly see why less experienced collectors may be safer at auctions for more expensive pieces - and as folks have said, the upcoming HA may have had some restraining effect.

I do feel dealers should tell the most-crazy aggressive consignors "No thanks" - it hurts dealers' reputations and the hobby

Happy Hunting!