• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New custom Marvel labels are now available
9 9

170 posts in this topic

the new labels are bad.

Also that Venom label sucks. Bring back the Deadpool 9.9 please or Carnage one they use to have. Not sure why they would vault some of these labels like they are Disney in the 90s with VHS movies. 

Its $5 per book getting people to pay an extra $5 for every book seems like the way to go.

Posted (edited)

The only encouraging thing about this release is the statement that accompanied it, when it states, "This release marks the first in a series of Marvel labels slated throughout the year."

I'll ignore the fact that the year is already halfway over... (and presume they mean over the next 12 months).  The word "series" intrigues me, though.  That's gotta be at least 3 (maybe 4).  That would mean we should expect a new drop of additional labels every 3 or 4 months over the next 12 months if I'm reading into this correctly.

And if they've been listening to our suggestions:  Punisher, Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, Sub-Mariner, Star Wars, Thanos, Dazzler, Psylocke, Green Goblin, Sabertooth (and countless others)... all have never been featured on a label.  Let's fix that.

Also Captain America, Iron Man and Hulk should be treated like Wolverine and Spider-Man are (i.e. ALWAYS available in one form or another)!

Edited by WOLVERINE335

lol… okaaaay, you got us!

funny joke. You win!

:wavingwhiteflag:

We all had a laugh, now, can you please release the real new custom labels?

There is just no way these are them. 

Not unless you are deliberately trying to kill the program, or you have a spy among your ranks trying to sabotage your operation. 

Because these cannot be the products we have all been tirelessly waiting for. 

#releasetherealcustomlabels

Hey everyone.  I thought my fellow "custom label" aficionados might appreciate this.  I was watching some books on a ComicLink auction, they had a couple of Spidey 238s newsstand books both graded 9.4 with White pages.  The only difference was that one had a custom Hobgoblin label.

So controlling for basically all other factors:  they had the same visibility, both auctions ended the same night, at basically the same time (1 minute apart), both books have the same grade, same page color, neither has any particularly noticeable blemishes, etc.  So it's about as fair of a 'head to head' as you could ask for.  The result?

The ASM 238 in a standard holder sold for $375.  The ASM 238 in a custom holder sold for $505!

That's a very significant difference.

So beyond personal preference and overall "eye appeal"... from what I've observed in this (and other instances) is that the custom label almost always sells for more.  In this case, the extra $5 spent on the custom label got the owner an extra $125 on the resale!

What's everyone else experiencing and observing?  Are you also seeing custom labels bring in higher resale prices?

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 11.08.22 PM.png

Edited by WOLVERINE335

On 6/27/2024 at 10:24 AM, WOLVERINE335 said:

Hey everyone.  I thought my fellow "custom label" aficionados might appreciate this.  I was watching some books on a ComicLink auction, they had a couple of Spidey 238s newsstand books both graded 9.4 with White pages.  The only difference was that one had a custom Hobgoblin label.

So controlling for basically all other factors:  they had the same visibility, both auctions ended the same night, at basically the same time (1 minute apart), both books have the same grade, same page color, neither has any particularly noticeable blemishes, etc.  So it's about as fair of a 'head to head' as you could ask for.  The result?

The ASM 238 in a standard holder sold for $375.  The ASM 238 in a custom holder sold for $505!

That's a very significant difference.

So beyond personal preference and overall "eye appeal"... from what I've observed in this (and other instances) is that the custom label almost always sells for more.  In this case, the extra $5 spent on the custom label got the owner an extra $125 on the resale!

What's everyone else experiencing and observing?  Are you also seeing custom labels bring in higher resale prices?

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 11.08.22 PM.png

These are not the same book my friend. Note the 75 cent original price on the bottom one and the 60 cent price on the top. The bottom is the Canadian Price Variant. $505 is actually quite low for the CPV in a 9.4, but nonetheless the auction value is more related to that than the custom label. 

Good eyes wiparker825!  I missed that.  So we can toss my head to head comparison out the window.  Although, I still stand by my anecdotal observations that -generally- custom labels bring higher prices.

As for the just released Deadpool and Wolverine labels... I agree with troydivision1.  The Deadpool is just okay, but it's odd that he wouldn't be holding NM98.  The Hulk 340 is iconic.  That's one I'd like to put on a few books!

On 7/28/2024 at 6:03 PM, WOLVERINE335 said:

Good eyes wiparker825!  I missed that.  So we can toss my head to head comparison out the window.  Although, I still stand by my anecdotal observations that -generally- custom labels bring higher prices.

As for the just released Deadpool and Wolverine labels... I agree with troydivision1.  The Deadpool is just okay, but it's odd that he wouldn't be holding NM98.  The Hulk 340 is iconic.  That's one I'd like to put on a few books!

Depends on who you ask here. Custom label fans will say they add value, and old-school label fans say they don't. Objectively, I think if a label/cover combination is in good taste, they do fetch more money, especially retired ones (the Avengers one is hard to come by paired with a good book).

Not related to labels, but I'm wondering if old slabs will eventually hit the higher price trend.

I personally would usually pay slightly more for the NEW slabs over the old.  The newer ones seem a bit more clear, and because they're newer, tend to have less scratches and dings, etc.

And for those that think the grading was tougher in the past, and want to buy old label books for a press and re-grade.  Tread carefully.  I bought some, sent them in, pressed/cleaned/re-graded... and they came back with the same grade.  Probably 15 books or so.  Turned out to be a complete waste of time/money.

... haha... the ONLY benefit was that they all came back in shiny new slabs with custom labels.  :-)