• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA Collecting Goals for 2023
1 1

57 posts in this topic

1. To grow the good by  Continuing to purchase one or two significant covers.

2.  Had a great opportunity to pick up a MCSPIDEY cover in 2022, but a friend really wanted it and asked me to stay in the sidelines to avoid a bidding war. And so I did, reluctantly, and unfortunately for the seller, it would have sold for at least $100K more.  Afterwards, I realized a McSpidey cover is the final missing piece in my collection, and had I bid and won, I would be done with collecting OA today.  Truly, my biggest regret in my 22 years of collecting nerdy ink on paper.  This goal would supersede goal #1

3. Sell more pages in a continued effort to build a war chest for items 1 and 2 and whittle down my collection to 4 portfolios

4. Not really a collecting goal, but I’d like to resume hosting OA get -togethers at my house with a bunch of local collectors.  It’s always fun to look at artwork by artists/titles you don’t collect, and the accompanying stories that coincide with purchases/trades thereof.  There’s some incredible OA collections in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and I’m looking forward to seeing all of the new additions post-COVID

My first 2023 goal is to frame batman_fan's Marmadukes. :shy:

Once that's done, I'd love to do the following:

1. A Marvel Two-In-One Cover from the mid-to-late 1970's

2. Champions #12 page 1 splash (Byrne/Layton)

3. Perez FF or Avengers splash (any type) from the mid-to-late 1970's

Nostalgia is a beeyatch! (:

Dan

My collecting has gone through phases. When I started it was largely Simon and Kirby, their own art and art made by other artists who worked for them. Then I largely collected art from some favorite artists who started in the 90's. Finally I went to collecting modern artists. Early in 2022 for various reasons I stopped collecting. But at NYCC I did picked up a couple pieces. Further I had built up a war chest just in case something really important for me came up.  Well that happened in the last Heritage auction. For 2023 I will build up my currently depleted war chest in case some other must have piece comes up. Not so much a goal, but a plan of action.

Edited by hmendryk

On 12/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, Drummy said:

My first 2023 goal is to frame batman_fan's Marmadukes. :shy:

Once that's done, I'd love to do the following:

1. A Marvel Two-In-One Cover from the mid-to-late 1970's

2. Champions #12 page 1 splash (Byrne/Layton)

3. Perez FF or Avengers splash (any type) from the mid-to-late 1970's

Nostalgia is a beeyatch! (:

Dan

Thanks !

Here is the mat information :baiting:

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 5.59.56 PM.png

None of what I bought this year was a goal at the start of 2022. It scared me to death when, in the first few days of January, a friend texted me to say that the Michael Golden Star Wars #38 page was up for sale. I wanted it, but had never believed I'd have a chance to own a page from that issue -- and I sure didn't think I'd be able to afford it.

I also never thought I'd be able to buy the Ghost Rider #28 cover that I got a couple months later.

Another friend told me tonight he's focusing on quality over quantity this year.

Me, I'm just buying what I can.

1. Hoping to get a few more Ron Frenz Thor pieces this year.

Those were some of my favorite books as a kid. I was lucky enough when I started OA to get about 5 pages from Kress at Catskill Comics while most of the stuff was still under $500, but now a lot of the available stuff has tripled in price or more.

After a positively monk-like 2020 (6 buys vs. 15 sales) and 2021 (5 buys vs. 1 sale), the pendulum definitely swung the other way for me in 2022 (94 buys and still rising vs. 2 sales this year).

In 2023, I definitely need/plan to be more focused. I don't regret buying all the pieces I did in 2022, as I had probably sold/traded too many pieces over the past 5 years and definitely enjoyed/appreciated being able to re-expand the breadth of my collection this year. And, while I'm not going to stop buying smaller, fun pieces, I will definitely buy less of them in 2023 and save my dry powder for the roughly dozen or so bigger and more meaningful things on my list that I would like to opportunistically add (should any of them become available next year at a price I can live with).