• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2023 at 6:59 AM, tth2 said:

All of his biggest challenges came with really early pre-superhero issues and obscure titles that were probably never printed or purchased in large numbers.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:54 PM, Silver Surfer said:
On 7/6/2023 at 9:36 PM, tth2 said:

Weren't there a few other issues from obscure titles?  The name "Scribbly" comes to mind.

Anyways, what was notable to me at the time was that finding issues from the superhero titles was no challenge for him at all, except cost.

Buzz #70 or something that sounds like that?

Yep, that was apparently indeed the last book for Ian to track down here:  (thumbsu

Silver Age (1956-1969):Humor, Buzzy #70 (DC, 1956) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Light tan to off-white pages....

An rather obsure title with low demand and seemingly low supply with only 10 Universal copies graded to date so far.  (thumbsu

Personally, I thought it would have been one of the really early pre-hero DC books such as New Comics 2 with only single digit copies graded to date and all in extremely low grade or a book like New Fun 2 or Big Book of Fun which are not even graded by CGC due to their large size format.   From my collecting experience, books from the 1935/36 time period and before are simply so much tougher to track down as compared to books for the later 30's and early 40's.  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 7/6/2023 at 9:36 PM, tth2 said:

Weren't there a few other issues from obscure titles?  The name "Scribbly" comes to mind.

Anyways, what was notable to me at the time was that finding issues from the superhero titles was no challenge for him at all, except cost.

Talked to Ian this is what he said.

Yes it was 100% complete up to 2015

I would never have split it up My collection did not sell because it contained far too many restored comics

I had two copies of Buzzy 70

Buzzy 70 was also one of the last remaining books to be found in Christine F.'s complete DC collection (Girls' Love Stories 56 was actually the final book).

Joe Vereneault was instrumental in helping her complete the DC collection. I would ask Joe occasionally, to share with me a list of remaining books needed for the collection, in case I stumbled upon any in my journeys.

One day, while searching ebay, the Buzzy 70 surfaced and was in an auction format. I alerted Joe about it and was looking forward to seeing the results.

The auction went on, with nothing crazy happening until the final moments. The book hovered around $20 or $30 most of the auction time.

I remember watching the auction the last couple of hours and there was an ebay bidder whose name was "jimcorrigan" or "jimcorrigan1" (this was back in day when everyone could see bidder names on ebay auctions). Joe would place a small increment bid and then "jimcorrigan" would come back and raise the bid a few minutes later. This would go back and forth for the remainder of the auction.

I asked Joe if he knew who "jimcorrigan" was and his response was something along the lines of "Dumba**, Jim Corrigan was the Spectre!" DUH!

Needless to say, Joe's side placed an incredible high snipe bid at the last second and secured the Buzzy 70 for the collection! (don't remember the final auction price, but I think it was around $100 or so. Still high for a VG/VG+ Buzzy 70 then, but well worth it for the purpose!)

Edited by DanCooper

On 7/7/2023 at 10:39 PM, woowoo said:
On 7/7/2023 at 12:36 PM, tth2 said:

No, he had them all from our talks. The only book that was still up in the air was his Matt Nelson made Double Action 1 since than there was no copy that came up till later.

No, the last book he needed was definitely not Detective 3, NA 26 or Double Action 1.  

On 7/7/2023 at 11:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Yep, that was apparently indeed the last book for Ian to track down here:  (thumbsu

Silver Age (1956-1969):Humor, Buzzy #70 (DC, 1956) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Light tan to off-white pages....

Thanks.  I knew it was some obscure title that ended in a "y". (thumbsu

On 7/7/2023 at 8:33 PM, tth2 said:

No, the last book he needed was definitely not Detective 3, NA 26 or Double Action 1.  

When he bought my Detective 3, he told me Detective 3 and new Adventure 26 was the last 2 he needed to complete his collection, so I sold him my 3. I had a long talk with him today and a lot of things that I heard about what happened to his collection he said was not true. He did send me a picture of him with some books, but I had the picture already.

He said---There are some seriously rare comics behind me

image.jpeg.4655fcfe9fad9cacd5915977bc9eed9b.jpeg

I don't know what's true just going on what he said. July 29, 2004, when I sent him the Detective 3 he said all he had left was New Adventure 26 (shrug)

Edited by woowoo

On 7/8/2023 at 12:32 PM, woowoo said:

When he bought my Detective 3, he told me Detective 3 and new Adventure 26 was the last 2 he needed to complete his collection, so I sold him my 3. I had a long talk with him today and a lot of things that I heard about what happened to his collection he said was not true. He did send me a picture of him with some books, but I had the picture already.

He said---There are some seriously rare comics behind me

image.jpeg.4655fcfe9fad9cacd5915977bc9eed9b.jpeg

I don't know what's true just going on what he said. July 29, 2004, when I sent him the Detective 3 he said all he had left was New Adventure 26 (shrug)

I'm not doubting what you heard from him.  But it's not what he said himself in his thread on these boards.

On 7/8/2023 at 1:47 AM, tth2 said:

I'm not doubting what you heard from him.  But it's not what he said himself in his thread on these boards.

Was thinking maybe that book was so small that only Tec 3 and NA 26 was the hard ones to get. I would not be to be concerned about a Buzzy 70 just my thoughts. He messaged me at 3am today to tell me that he wishes the whole collection would be slabbed here is what he said that I never new.

They were all photographed and used in Paul Levitz's book

Open photo

That alone gives them a unique pedigree

On 7/8/2023 at 1:47 AM, tth2 said:

I messaged Ian if Buzzy 70 was the last copy he needed he said no NA 26 was the last one. here is what he said.

You are correct and he is wrong

I sold the comics six years before my stroke

Why do they hate me so much on the CGC Boards

On 7/8/2023 at 8:21 AM, woowoo said:

I messaged Ian if Buzzy 70 was the last copy he needed he said no NA 26 was the last one. here is what he said.

You are correct and he is wrong

I sold the comics six years before my stroke

Why do they hate me so much on the CGC Boards

Here is the thread he started to celebrate his acquisition of the final book (NA 26):

And for posterity's sake, here are the last 15 DCs he needed (quoting from his 2-27-04 post):

THE 16 [sic] DC COMICS I NEED TO COMPLETE THE FULL SET

NEW ADVENTURE COMICS - 17, 22, 26, 27

ALL FUNNY - 15

THE BIG BOOK OF FUN COMICS - 1

BUZZY - 34, 70

THE FLASH Original Series - 43

FUNNY STUFF - 37

GREEN LANTERN (Golden Age) - 30

HEART THROBS - 66

HERE'S HOWIE - 17

LEADING SCREEN - 68

SCRIBBLY - 6

Of these, NA 17, 26 and 27, and Big Book 1 are indeed hard to find.

Edited by RareHighGrade

On 7/8/2023 at 11:15 AM, RareHighGrade said:

And for posterity's sake, here are the last 15 DCs he needed (quoting from his 2-27-04 post):

ALL FUNNY - 15

BUZZY - 34, 70

FUNNY STUFF - 37

HEART THROBS - 66

HERE'S HOWIE - 17

LEADING SCREEN - 68

SCRIBBLY - 6

Thanks for the link. If I am correct, you have the Mile high 26? Ian sent me pictures of what he thinks are the rarest here they are.

Open photoOpen photoOpen photoOpen photo

On 7/10/2023 at 8:24 AM, batman_fan said:
On 7/4/2023 at 6:51 AM, tth2 said:

Eh, I got excited when I read about PLs being in the next auction, but when I looked at the preview they were all low grade copies.

Us bottom feeders gotta eat too

With recent prices on some of this stuff is there a level below bottom-feeder?

On 7/9/2023 at 4:15 AM, RareHighGrade said:

ALL FUNNY - 15

BUZZY - 34, 70

FUNNY STUFF - 37

HEART THROBS - 66

HERE'S HOWIE - 17

LEADING SCREEN - 68

SCRIBBLY - 6

@Ian_Levine wasn't there a bunch of random non-GA books that proved elusive.    I remember when I visited you with Harley, and Paul Gambacinni to see your collection in the early 2,000's, you said there was a short list of books still needed.   Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #12, etc.   

I know they were pretty much worthless books, but it was interesting, as it was all part of the story of the collection, so it was just as interesting to hear about the books as the big elusive GA titles.