• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2023 at 5:49 PM, manetteska said:
On 6/11/2023 at 4:17 AM, Ryan. said:

I'm thinking of the 300k book collection that Jeff the Golden Age Guru bought.

If that’s the one on IG 99% of the books aren’t worth slabbing, right?

On 6/12/2023 at 3:38 AM, Ryan. said:

I haven't followed too closely but I would assume a collection that size is mostly junk. I just know Jeff mentioned that he worked out something with CGC to get custom labeling, at least for the good stuff. 

I would also tend to agree with your POV here and find it rather surprsing that CGC would give this type of collection a special label, but then again, money always talk.  (shrug)

Like I've always said, in today's comic book ,marketplace, it is so much easier to sell one $10,000 comic book, as opposed to trying to sell a thousand $10 comic books.  (thumbsu

Almost makes me wonder what kind of dastardly deeds the Golden Age Guru must have done in his life to date to deserve being buried under 300K of drek books.  :fear::sick:

On 6/26/2023 at 7:08 AM, manetteska said:
On 6/25/2023 at 10:57 AM, action1kid said:

Let me understand. These books were discovered already in CGC cases????

2 different collections currently being discussed:

1. Fantast collection

2. Instagram Golden Age collection (only a small % of recent posts); most/all (?) sent to CGC and coming back with a BOBBY BLUE (wtf?) label note. (If that doesn't show money talks with CGC...)

Between all of the mixed messages which I am reading here, it sounds like much more than 2 different collections are being discussed here.  :ohnoez:

Some boardies here are talking albout a 300K collection of books including some GA , with some saying that it sold for only $340K.  This makes absolutely no sense at all as that works out to only $1.13 per issue, and if that was the case, you would see Heritage and CC all over the collection even if it included some Modern day drek along with the GA DC's, Timely's like All-Select 1, Cap 3, and PCH books.  :screwy:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/25/2023 at 5:14 AM, manetteska said:

Looks like CGC is giving the collection a special note on the label. 

BOBBY BLUE COLLECTION

And though it very much seemed like these were going to be sold on IG, I believe they are all going to Comic Connect.

A bit surprised that CGC would be giving this collection a special label notation since it's all going to CC for auction.  :whatthe:

Now, if it was going to Heritage, then I would not be as suprised.  Not sure, but maybe the submittor will end up getting some punishment grading for going with CC instead of being rewarded with some Promise quality grading if they had gone with Heritage for the auctioning of their books here.  :devil:

On 6/26/2023 at 12:24 PM, october said:
On 6/26/2023 at 11:15 AM, C. Spaulding said:

I asked them  about a book when I first saw the post with a Dynamic Comics 8.

Didn't see the Dynamic 8. Was it lower grade? Such a tough issue (unless you are Comic Jack).

On 6/26/2023 at 12:31 PM, C. Spaulding said:

It looked pretty nice (FN or better if my memory is correct). There is/was a video where they were at a hotel taking the books to FL and flipping through them in the hotel room.

Found it on the CC website with "Upcoming Auction Dates TBD" and really no surprise, looks nicer than its assigned CGC 4.5 grade:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1006340

dyn1.238.jpg

Grader Notes
tears & pieces out spine
moderate cover tanning

Doesn't look like much on the Graders Notes and if I remember correctly, didn't we see Promise books with mouse chews going right through the enitre book still get grades up into the 8's.  :facepalm:

On 7/3/2023 at 11:52 AM, lou_fine said:

Between all of the mixed messages which I am reading here, it sounds like much more than 2 different collections are being discussed here.  :ohnoez:

Some boardies here are talking albout a 300K collection of books including some GA , with some saying that it sold for only $340K.  This makes absolutely no sense at all as that works out to only $1.13 per issue, and if that was the case, you would see Heritage and CC all over the collection even if it included some Modern day drek along with the GA DC's, Timely's like All-Select 1, Cap 3, and PCH books.  :screwy:  :takeit:

There are at least 4 major pedigree quality OO collections going through CGC right now.  At least that's what CGC tells me.  But I could be wrong because Mitch said there weren't any more out there. And I don't think that includes the 300k collection.  

You can look on Heritage and see some really nice PCH coming up from a collection labeled the "Feedstore collection", which I assume is one of them.  

On 7/3/2023 at 2:40 PM, buttock said:

There are at least 4 major pedigree quality OO collections going through CGC right now.  At least that's what CGC tells me.  But I could be wrong because Mitch said there weren't any more out there. And I don't think that includes the 300k collection.  

You can look on Heritage and see some really nice PCH coming up from a collection labeled the "Feedstore collection", which I assume is one of them.  

I wonder if that Feedstore collection was the same one posted on Reddit. It had nice Phantom Lady issues in it.

On 7/3/2023 at 4:03 PM, october said:

I wonder if that Feedstore collection was the same one posted on Reddit. It had nice Phantom Lady issues in it.

Yes, just checked and it certainly does look like it has some nice PL issues in their for their next Signature Auction in August, including these two:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/phantom-lady-17-fox-1948-cgc-fn-vf-70-pink-pages/p/7341-98002.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Phantom Lady #17 (Fox, 1948) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Pink pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/phantom-lady-23-fox-1949-cgc-fn-65-white-pages/p/7341-98003.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Phantom Lady #23 (Fox, 1949) CGC FN+ 6.5 White pages.

Sadly, with the prices these two copies would be going for, definitely out of my price range here since my pockets simply aren't deep enough.  :(

Not surprisingly and probably because I have one of these in my personal collection, not so much loving for this formerly classic GGA book:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/torchy-5-quality-1950-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7339-94189.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Torchy #5 (Quality, 1950) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white...

Especially since it seems to barely be able to fetch condition guide value in a market that's supposedly red hot when it comes to GGA books and you really can't get more GGA than this once much in-demand classic Bill Ward GGA cover book plus all of the interior sexy lingerie panels to boot.  :takeit:

On 7/4/2023 at 7:03 AM, october said:

Eh, I got excited when I read about PLs being in the next auction, but when I looked at the preview they were all low grade copies.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:51 AM, tth2 said:
On 7/3/2023 at 4:03 PM, october said:

Eh, I got excited when I read about PLs being in the next auction, but when I looked at the preview they were all low grade copies.

Yes, have you contacted your best buds at Heritage to let them know that if they continue to offer these bottom feeding mulch-grade GA books, you and the rest of your fellow deep pocketed bidders will no longer bother to even check out their auction offerings going forward?  :p  lol

I don’t think Heritage would give a i$&@? If Comic collectors walked. It’s the New comic “ investor “ they are interested in. The young Silicon Valley millionaires & higher that have driven these key books to the moon!

They are the new focus.

Edited by action1kid
Mistake

On 7/4/2023 at 10:08 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, have you contacted your best buds at Heritage to let them know that if they continue to offer these bottom feeding mulch-grade GA books, you and the rest of your fellow deep pocketed bidders will no longer bother to even check out their auction offerings going forward?  :p  lol

Nah, I understand the importance of throwing crumbs to the little people every now and then.

On 7/4/2023 at 10:17 PM, action1kid said:

I don’t think Heritage would give a i$&@? If Comic collectors walked. It’s the New comic “ investor “ they are interested in. The young Silicon Valley millionaires & higher that have driven these key books to the moon!

They are the new focus.

Seriously, it's 2023.  Those guys came in during 2021 and 2022, got burned as new money always does in this hobby, and have already beat a hasty retreat. 

Edited by tth2