• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2023 at 6:20 PM, mstrange said:

If this is the collection that was stored in a barn.  They look to be in nice shape. hm

Looks like CGC is giving the collection a special note on the label. 

BOBBY BLUE COLLECTION

And though it very much seemed like these were going to be sold on IG, I believe they are all going to Comic Connect.

On 6/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, tth2 said:

What grade, though?  Mulch-quality GA books, I can believe are still out there.  High grade, not so much.

Hold on, that's proprietary!  "Mulch" is one of the official Bookery grades here in the shop (especially for the last collection I picked up... :p).

On 6/25/2023 at 9:17 AM, Bookery said:

Hold on, that's proprietary!  "Mulch" is one of the official Bookery grades here in the shop (especially for the last collection I picked up... :p).

Dr. Skull on eBay invented POS- and Near Lint at least 20 years ago...where would "mulch" fit in with those two? I like to keep a list of appropriate grading terms;)

On 6/25/2023 at 10:15 PM, skypinkblu said:

Dr. Skull on eBay invented POS- and Near Lint at least 20 years ago...where would "mulch" fit in with those two? I like to keep a list of appropriate grading terms;)

"Near Lint"! :roflmao:

"Mulch" = anything that's less than NM.

Edited by tth2

On 6/25/2023 at 12:57 PM, action1kid said:

Let me understand. These books were discovered already in CGC cases????

2 different collections currently being discussed:

1. Fantast collection

2. Instagram Golden Age collection (only a small % of recent posts); most/all (?) sent to CGC and coming back with a BOBBY BLUE (wtf?) label note. (If that doesn't show money talks with CGC...)

On 6/25/2023 at 10:57 AM, action1kid said:

These books were discovered already in CGC cases????

Harley was already displaying about 5 boxes of raw Fantast ASM and other nice diverse comics at Heroes Con, and WA Summer con in Puyallup, WA, USA.

On 6/26/2023 at 8:37 AM, aardvark88 said:

Harley was already displaying about 5 boxes of raw Fantast ASM and other nice diverse comics at Heroes Con, and WA Summer con in Puyallup, WA, USA.

I bought a handful of raw post code Atlas horror from him at WonderCon in April. They were not noted. When I was paying he asked me if I wanted the “certificates”. I said sure. Was kind of suprised they were from the “Fantast collection”…

On 6/26/2023 at 10:08 AM, manetteska said:

1. Fantast collection

2. Instagram Golden Age collection (only a small % of recent posts); most/all (?) sent to CGC and coming back with a BOBBY BLUE (wtf?) label note. (If that doesn't show money talks with CGC...)

2. Adding to the Bobby Blue Collection - Most or all of these are on their way to ComicConnect so that’s where we can expect them to surface. I asked them  about a book when I first saw the post with a Dynamic Comics 8.

On 6/26/2023 at 1:15 PM, C. Spaulding said:
On 6/26/2023 at 9:08 AM, manetteska said:

1. Fantast collection

2. Adding to the Bobby Blue Collection - Most or all of these are on their way to ComicConnect so that’s where we can expect them to surface. I asked them  about a book when I first saw the post with a Dynamic Comics 8.

Yeah, I saw the posts on the collection pretty early and inquired about a couple books. Eventually they said almost everything is getting graded, and most (?) going to CC.

Probably wouldn't have been able to afford them raw and via direct sale anyway.

On 6/26/2023 at 2:08 PM, manetteska said:

Nice Strange Tales #28 just shown. Sheesh.

The 40's stuff looks to range from totally beat to midgrade, the pre-code look much nicer. That double cover JIM 1 is pretty killer. 

On 6/26/2023 at 1:15 PM, C. Spaulding said:

I asked them  about a book when I first saw the post with a Dynamic Comics 8.

Didn't see the Dynamic 8. Was it lower grade? Such a tough issue (unless you are Comic Jack).

On 6/26/2023 at 3:24 PM, october said:

Didn't see the Dynamic 8. Was it lower grade? Such a tough issue (unless you are Comic Jack).

It looked pretty nice (FN or better if my memory is correct). There is/was a video where they were at a hotel taking the books to FL and flipping through them in the hotel room.

On 6/26/2023 at 1:23 PM, october said:

The 40's stuff looks to range from totally beat to midgrade, the pre-code look much nicer. That double cover JIM 1 is pretty killer. 

Looks like a lovely collection, spines look pretty toasty though.  I'll be curious to see what the PQ is on a lot of the books and what the inner/back covers look like. 

On 6/11/2023 at 4:17 AM, Ryan. said:

I'm thinking of the 300k book collection that Jeff the Golden Age Guru bought.

I know of a collection of 300k books that sold roughly last year in the Northwest, it had a safe where there was a wonder woman 1, sensation comics 1, golden age Sub-mariners, Detective comics started at around the issue 30s and went up, Captain America's, All stars, single numbered batman's and up ECT.

The silver age were in piles in the bookcase, Spidey 1 up, Fantastic four 1 up, X-Men 1 up, Avengers 1 up ECT.

There was so many comics one had to walk a path throughout the home. 

The garage had a stack of comic boxes 6 ft high and about 10ft square.

There were boxes where the collector had bought comics from comic stores and have never been opened.

He also collected records and there were 1000s of vinyl records from the 60s - 80s. Most never played and still in unopened plastic.

The family wanted to sell all the comics all at once and have to comics moved out of the house as quickly as possible.

They decided on a silent auction where three bidders put in a bid.

Instead of taking the highest bid they'd extend deadlines and go back to the bidders saying you've been outbid, do you want to up it. There was a minimum percentage you had to bid up. So after the first few bump ups my mate stopped bidding.

So we are talking multiples of 6 figures here, I'd better not say what this collection roughly sold for.

My mate at the time organized a vintage record store to buy the records and didn't even get a thank you from the family.

I still think there are collections like these out there.

I know of a older gentleman who walks into a comic book store with shopping bag of 15 to 20 bronze age comics.

Yeah I know it's bronze age, the interesting thing is when he was in his 20s he worked in a distributor business and the staff were allowed to buy comics, magazines and books at cost. This was before they were shipped out to the news stands.

So he would buy a book here, 3 books there, 5 - 10 - 20 - 50 -100 comics of a single issue at a time. The shopping bag he brought in had 7 copies of Green Lantern 87 1st John Stewart, 6 copies of Strange tales 169, 5 copies of Swamp Thing 3. He never read them, he just bought them and took them home and put them in a box for 50 years.

Here's a copy of Swamp Thing 3.

Screenshot_20230626-153616.thumb.png.c68e415322a5a103917cd2c9addea2d7.png

As I said there's a chance of OO collections for silver and bronze.

As for Golden age it's going to be collections put together after they were released.

Edited by southern cross
Sorry for the novel