• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2023 at 6:40 PM, southern cross said:

I know of a collection of 300k books that sold roughly last year in the Northwest, it had a safe where there was a wonder woman 1, sensation comics 1, golden age Sub-mariners, Detective comics started at around the issue 30s and went up, Captain America's, All stars, single numbered batman's and up ECT.

The silver age were in piles in the bookcase, Spidey 1 up, Fantastic four 1 up, X-Men 1 up, Avengers 1 up ECT.

There was so many comics one had to walk a path throughout the home. 

The garage had a stack of comic boxes 6 ft high and about 10ft square.

There were boxes where the collector had bought comics from comic stores and have never been opened.

He also collected records and there were 1000s of vinyl records from the 60s - 80s. Most never played and still in unopened plastic.

The family wanted to sell all the comics all at once and have to comics moved out of the house as quickly as possible.

They decided on a silent auction where three bidders put in a bid.

Instead of taking the highest bid they'd extend deadlines and go back to the bidders saying you've been outbid, do you want to up it. There was a minimum percentage you had to bid up. So after the first few bump ups my mate stopped bidding.

So we are talking multiples of 6 figures here, I'd better not say what this collection roughly sold for.

My mate at the time organized a vintage record store to buy the records and didn't even get a thank you from the family.

I still think there are collections like these out there.

I know of a older gentleman who walks into a comic book store with shopping bag of 15 to 20 bronze age comics.

Yeah I know it's bronze age, the interesting thing is when he was in his 20s he worked in a distributor business and the staff were allowed to buy comics, magazines and books at cost. This was before they were shipped out to the news stands.

So he would buy a book here, 3 books there, 5 - 10 - 20 - 50 -100 comics of a single issue at a time. The shopping bag he brought in had 7 copies of Green Lantern 87 1st John Stewart, 6 copies of Strange tales 169, 5 copies of Swamp Thing 3. He never read them, he just bought them and took them home and put them in a box for 50 years.

Here's a copy of Swamp Thing 3.

Screenshot_20230626-153616.thumb.png.c68e415322a5a103917cd2c9addea2d7.png

As I said there's a chance of OO collections for silver and bronze.

As for Golden age it's going to be collections put together after they were released.

Sounds like the same collection. 

On 6/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, Ryan. said:

Sounds like the same collection. 

There were three bidders and it was supposed to be a silent bid.

First bidder dropped out as his bid was 80k. I just think it was ordinary that the family extended the bidding period for way too long and kept going to the last two bidders to bid against each other. And take the families their word that was the bid from the previous bidder :whatthe:

Edited by southern cross
Edit

On 6/27/2023 at 8:56 AM, southern cross said:

There were three bidders and it was supposed to be a silent bid.

First bidder dropped out as his bid was 80k. I just think it was ordinary that the family extended the bidding period for way too long and kept going to the last two bidders to bid against each other. And take the families their word that was the bid from the previous bidder :whatthe:

They caught on real quick.

On 6/27/2023 at 10:14 AM, Dark Knight said:

Easily a $500k collection min. if not more depending on condition of the key books.

Probably way more.  But the question of who can come up with the most amount of cash at once, wins.   That aspect really determined the initial price paid over the actual full realisable value of the collection.   The the slow game would have paid out 4 fold.

On 6/26/2023 at 5:21 PM, Microchip said:

Probably way more.  But the question of who can come up with the most amount of cash at once, wins.   That aspect really determined the initial price paid over the actual full realisable value of the collection.   The the slow game would have paid out 4 fold.

I bet GoldenAgeGuru and ComicTom bought it for a great price if it were only 3 parties who were doing the bidding.  If this was auctioned off publicly with Heritage or CC, the owners would've gotten more for the collection.

On 6/27/2023 at 6:40 AM, southern cross said:

As I said there's a chance of OO collections for silver and bronze.

There's no question that there are OO SA and BA collections out there.  The questions that would determine whether a SA collection stands out are:

1.  Are there major keys, and if so, in NM?

2.  Are there pre-1964 books, and if so, in NM?

3.  Are there DCs?

For the vast majority of SA collections, the answers are no, no and no.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:32 AM, southern cross said:

I think this collection sold for approx $340k

Dang what a steal based on the small amount of books that were mentioned.  I figured at least $500k, anything less would be a bargain! I don't think they would be able to fork over/ offer a million $ for the collection.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:26 PM, Dark Knight said:

Dang what a steal based on the small amount of books that were mentioned.  I figured at least $500k, anything less would be a bargain! I don't think they would be able to fork over/ offer a million $ for the collection.

Yeah

I would of loved to see the collection.

Someone who did see it mentioned to me that one of the piles had a giant size X-Men 1 on the top of one of the stacks and that was a drek book compared to what he had seen. Then again having all those comics in a residential home plus a big vinyl record collection and only paths that one can walk along, I'm kind of glad I didn't see it.

On 6/26/2023 at 3:24 PM, october said:

Didn't see the Dynamic 8. Was it lower grade? Such a tough issue (unless you are Comic Jack).

The image is up on CC the first copy to come to market higher than a 3.0.I would love to see higher copies come out of the closets to see the real value of this book (thumbsu I will watching this auction closely some real tough books coming to market.With all the great books Jon Berk did all he could  to only find was a low grade copy and Nic Cage didn't have a copy with all his money but he did have a nice Punch 9 and 12.

Edited by comicjack

Almost all the books from the "Bobby Blue" collection have tanning covers wonder how significant the tanning is?  You can see some of it on some of the front and back covers on the scans I've seen.  Wonder how they were stored.

Edited by mstrange

On 7/2/2023 at 11:26 AM, mstrange said:

Almost all the books from the "Bobby Blue" collection have tanning covers wonder how significant the tanning is?  You can see some of it on some of the front and back covers on the scans I've seen.  Wonder how they were stored.

Not sure where in the house the books were stored but the original owner placed several books (maybe around 6-8) inside a bag and each bag stacked inside several boxes that kinda looks like those printer paper box with the lid.

Most of the books if not all have gone through the pressing, dry cleaning, etc. process.

Edited by Dark Knight

On 6/10/2023 at 5:03 AM, Ryan. said:

I don't know. I'm aware of at least one other new collection coming to market soon that CGC is slapping pedigree labels on. Or at least a custom label, anyway. CGC is working all the angles to stick its brand wherever it can.

Probably more correctly, CGC is working ALL the angles to rake in as much money as possible. :devil:

On 7/2/2023 at 5:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Probably more correctly, CGC is working ALL the angles to rake in as much money as possible. :devil:

:flipbait::banana:

On 7/2/2023 at 2:26 PM, mstrange said:

Still going to get some action you can count on it from CC  :bigsmile: