• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

825 posts in this topic

SPAWN 91 - CGC 9.8 

First issue of the 21st Century. 

This is around the time when popular interest in the series began to wane. Too bad, because things get even darker and the art gets so much cooler. 

EDITED - SPAWN 91 .jpg

On 2/24/2023 at 8:05 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 60 - CGC 9.8 

The only good clown is a dead clown? 

EDITED Spawn 60 F.jpg

For you with a few grand lying around....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/greg-capullo-todd-mcfarlane-and-chance-wolf-spawn-60-cover-clown-original-art-image-1997-/a/7339-93031.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=258|0

27668822%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

There's another piece of Spawn OA up in the next 24 hours as well.

Yeah. It's really too bad that I'm currently buying a new house! :cry:

SPAWN 93 - CGC 9.8 

I really dig this one. Nice colors and composition. 

EDITED - spawn 93.jpg

On 3/30/2023 at 9:35 PM, maraxusofkeld said:

How do Spawn fans feel about Capullo’s art? I like his as much as Todd’s and in some instances more so.

They are both wildly talented IMO, so it's a matter of taste. I think that Todd is more capable of producing iconic images. Capullo is better at capturing the right atmosphere. He had a long run on the series, so his artwork became synonymous with the character as Todd went on to focus on other pursuits. 

Todd paved the way, but Capullo, for many, is THE quintessential Spawn artist. Fans of either artist have a strong argument. 

I think it's also important to note the teamwork between the two of them. Together, they were incredible. 

There are LOTS of fantastic artists on the series, however. One of my favorite runs, art-wise, was created by Philip Tan. I'm also a huge fan of Kudranski. 

On 4/1/2023 at 9:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well after seeing a batarang for so long, I guess that's understandable lol

As we've seen,  millions and millions of bats have appeared on the cover of Spawn

I wonder if they ever created a set of wooden block "bat stamps" to save themselves some time? 

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 98 - CGC 9.8 

I think things really began to get a lot cooler when Danny Miki came along as an inker. I loved his work on the series. Take a look at this gargoyle! Sick! 

In general, I think the series begins to get a bit darker as it moves towards the 100s. Pretty fitting, considering the times. 

EDITED - Spawn 98.jpg

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 100 (MCFARLANE VARIANT) - CGC 9.8 

Are we already at 100? 

We enter the "variant game" with this ish. 

There will be several. I will post one a day. Half of them are signed. I was going to get this one signed, but I guess I never got around to it. 

EDITED - Spawn 100.jpg