• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2023 at 1:03 PM, comix4fun said:

Thank goodness that Zeck wasn't absent from art school the day that "Strategic Shadow Placement" was taught. 

339756127_ScreenShot2023-01-19at1_01_38PM.thumb.png.c1de6859e0857a1c10dcca6a6f375025.png

Nekkid Kraven $19,200. Pretty strong. 

Giant-Size X-men #1, Miller DD 179 and Miller DKR were all demonstrably light. 

151537298_ScreenShot2023-03-30at12_46_48PM.thumb.png.00975edf24fef887b4949449fe1fd58d.png

On 3/30/2023 at 12:44 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Is it just me, but did Hammer prices seem to be at the lower end today?

Mixed. Some REALLY noticeable short results mixed with some expected ones and a few strong mixed in. 

Certainly a change from the whole session being jaw-droopingly high as in the last couple of years. 

On 3/30/2023 at 1:44 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Is it just me, but did Hammer prices seem to be at the lower end today?

Pick your reason.... With money markets paying 5%, speculative assets suddenly have some competition? Banking crisis scaring the rich into not spending? Or maybe... just maybe... this batch of art just doesn't have that "wow" factor.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:59 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Pick your reason.... With money markets paying 5%, speculative assets suddenly have some competition? Banking crisis scaring the rich into not spending? Or maybe... just maybe... this batch of art just doesn't have that "wow" factor.

I used the exact phrase just this morning. The right artists. The right titles. The right issues. But maybe not the right pages and lacking the "wow" factor. 

I was thinking the Paul Smith X-Men page would have gotten a lot more action. There wasn't that jaw dropping are "You're kiddin me!!!" moment that I've grown used to... which is a nice change!

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 3/30/2023 at 1:19 PM, KirbyCollector said:

The Giant Size X-men page going for 50 has me really curious... looking to see what the UXM 118 page does now, while keeping in mind a) the recent poor results for the Byrne UXM pages on ebay and b) Bechara listing an UXM 126 page for 65 right now

Agreed, although it should have a bit of a discount built in for being a page that wasn't inked by Austin... Byrne/Villamonte isn't the art dream team.

I really do think it was right books, wrong pages this auction.  The Zeck Kraven and Sandman 1 pages being notable exceptions. 

The good news is, books overall were strong which is often a leading indicator of the art market. 

On 3/30/2023 at 1:12 PM, gumbydarnit said:

I was thinking the Paul Smith X-Men page would have gotten a lot more action. There wasn't that jaw dropping are "You're kiddin me!!!" moment that I've grown used to... which is a nice change!

Watching the bidding, that was a pretty spirited bidding fight for a while on that page. 
I really liked that page but wasn't expecting it to pump as high as it did for a couple nice Colossus panels and a sprinkling of Cyclops and Nightcrawler. 
Imagine where it would have ended with even one popped claw sneaking in from the margins. 

On 3/29/2023 at 3:18 PM, batman_fan said:

Definitely saw a lot of that during the last auction.  Huge run ups on a lot of items.  I have started exclusively waiting until the live auction to place any real bids.

I totaled the prices before live bidding and after.  For the OA Platinum session prices only went up an average of 20% during live bidding.  For the Platinum Comics session it was 37%.  

On 3/30/2023 at 11:59 AM, KirbyCollector said:

It's crazy that this seemed a little soft, yet after just the platinum session we're at over $7.5M, which would have been a smash total signature auction just a few years ago. 

On 3/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, comix4fun said:

Watching the bidding, that was a pretty spirited bidding fight for a while on that page. 
I really liked that page but wasn't expecting it to pump as high as it did for a couple nice Colossus panels and a sprinkling of Cyclops and Nightcrawler. 
Imagine where it would have ended with even one popped claw sneaking in from the margins. 

Exactly.  I thought it was a strong price for a page with a few Colossus panels.

I don't know that the market for books is a leading indicator of the art market.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:29 PM, Xatari said:

I really do think it was right books, wrong pages this auction.  The Zeck Kraven and Sandman 1 pages being notable exceptions. 

The good news is, books overall were strong which is often a leading indicator of the art market. 

On 3/31/2023 at 1:20 AM, Matches_Malone said:
On 2/17/2023 at 3:34 AM, RICKYBOBBY said:

Also a page from Sandman 1 - a key page where we see sandman’s face for the first time.

$90K with the juice. Not bad. I thought it woul break $100K

Same.

Maybe the Great Crash really IS finally here! 

On 3/30/2023 at 10:22 PM, tth2 said:

Same.

Maybe the Great Crash really IS finally here! 

I for sure truly hope that I can get some good prices in the future.  But let's be objective.  43.2K for the Miller page is still very strong for about two inches of DD and the rest is weights being thrown around.132k for the ASM cover, again not a lot of Spidey (and not the classic mask either).  I really like the P Smith page but it is really one Colosssus panel.  Mind you all of the above are good examples of the respective artists, but to say that the crash is here based on these example is a bit hasty, IMHO.

Other than the Sandman page, there wasn't a single WOW page today. In fact, most of these pages would've been in the Friday lots in a regular Heritage auction. Which page is the anchor of this session to get everyone talking? There really wasn't one. 5 Signatures and a bunch of international auctions so close together have taken their toll on the top pieces available. In fact, some of these pages would have done better in a Friday session because they would've shed their outsized expectations and maybe started a bidding war. 

On 3/30/2023 at 2:24 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Agreed, although it should have a bit of a discount built in for being a page that wasn't inked by Austin... Byrne/Villamonte isn't the art dream team.

I remember having Byrne’s share of the Villamonte inked pages decades ago.  They were much harder to sell than Austin inked pages.