• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 1:52 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Could kick myself on the ad... was right in there, the phone distracted me and she closed the auction too damn fast

That sucks.  I figured it would be closer to 10k but I guess having so many characters plus the Butternut tie in (my childhood bread) made it go high

On 3/31/2023 at 3:56 PM, Bronty said:

I dunno.. well drawn but not a ton going on..

It's beautifully drawn for sure. But I felt it would go higher because it not only features the proverbial  Winter image used in most sites along with Pluto as Miracle Dog, but Winter tells the funny story about having sex. BTW, That girl needs a shirt. 

Edited by Matches_Malone

Overall I thought the day was better than yesterday.

I thought the Miller pieces today went for strong prices. 

I thought 31k for Byrne / Villamonte X-Men page was a strong number.

20k for Byrne portfolio illustration was pretty strong.

I like the girl auctioneer. She's was working hard to make it seem like there were a flurry of bids coming in when actually the piece was sitting at the number it'd been at for a week. 

On 3/31/2023 at 4:37 PM, cloud cloddie said:

Hope the seller of the Sienkiewicz NM cover got a HA BP discount… not much more than the eBay sale from a few months back…

I don't think there's any way to have gotten around taking a hit on that piece after HA takes its cut, since I know the seller paid sales tax on the eBay purchase. That said, I think $40.8K was about as well as one could have realistically expected the sale to go on such a quick turnaround; if it was me, I would count myself lucky not to have taken a bigger hit. :wishluck: 

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/31/2023 at 2:45 PM, delekkerste said:

Holy cow...I thought $43.2K looked healthy, but, it sold for $66K a year ago. Yikes. :eek: 

That Hush page sale looks so much worse once you take out Heritage's fees. Some quick math:

Best case scenario - paid no sales tax on the purchase, seller is a whale who gets like a 10% BP rebate:  40% realized loss

Scenario #2 - paid no sales tax on the purchase, seller gets a 5% BP rebate: 42.7% loss

Scenario #3 - paid no sales tax on the purchase, seller gets 0% BP rebate: 45.5% loss

Scenario #4 - paid 8.5% sales tax on the purchase, seller gets a 5% BP rebate: 47.2% loss

Scenario #5 - paid 8.5% sales tax on the purchase, seller gets 0% BP rebate: 49.7% loss

Most likely there is a realized loss of 40-50% after fees for a one-year holding period. Comparable to holding Tesla stock over the past year (-42.2%) I suppose, but, I was assured by some that comic art only goes up! :ohnoez: 

On 4/1/2023 at 2:53 AM, Matches_Malone said:
On 4/1/2023 at 2:46 AM, Bronty said:

Six breasts didn't bother me either.

I wonder if the consignor was hoping for first appearance money, and the market wasn't having it because the image of Lucifer is so small.

I spoke with the consignor, and he is somewhat satisfied. He was expecting $70K-80K.  But prices seem to be on the lower end in general. 

The Sandman #1 page on the first day might've taken some of the money out of the Sandman market.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:47 PM, tth2 said:

Conan #15 interior page with only a couple images of Conan (one really tiny) went for $21,800.

Yeah, but (a) stunning half-splash page and (b) it's the climax of the much-loved Elric cross-over storyline

I would lay a fiver that this is also a case where it was just two guys throwing down against each other a good portion of the way, and that the price won't hold up if resold anytime soon. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/31/2023 at 12:35 PM, -m said:

Can someone please explain the 20k result for this:

Peach Momoko Strange Academy #1 Magik Variant Cover

Sure.  One of the hottest modern artists doing a variant cover of one of the hottest modern series. The crazy thing is there were no characters from Strange Academy on this cover.  I'd be curious to see what one of those variants brings to market today.  I know I sold one of the variants for close to this price two years ago, even as the series was just starting to build momentum.  Now it's much bigger.

Edited by Xatari