• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

Looking at all the comments, I am getting a sense that prices have softened except for the few high grade/high demand pieces (including the Peach cover). 
Have there been any pieces which have substantially exceeded expectations so far? (besides the BWS Conan page).

Could people be saving their ammunition for the balance of the auction?

It doesn’t help that this auction didn’t seem to have as many top notch pieces as past auctions. The feature art (thurs) was a bit lack luster. So when you don’t have the bidding frenzy right out of the gate, I think people begin to question how aggressively they want to go for their target(s).

If prices aren’t only going up, but also down (see examples upthread) you better be sure you buy right before getting that second mortgage ; )

On 3/31/2023 at 3:56 PM, Bronty said:

I dunno.. well drawn but not a ton going on..

I'll second this. It's a quiet page, even though it is necessary at this point because of the storyline. Plus, it's a lot of Winter.

Edited by pkveronese

On 4/1/2023 at 8:14 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Looking at all the comments, I am getting a sense that prices have softened except for the few high grade/high demand pieces (including the Peach cover). 
Have there been any pieces which have substantially exceeded expectations so far? (besides the BWS Conan page).

Could people be saving their ammunition for the balance of the auction?

Team America 1 far exceeded my expectations and I got crushed and lost big time. I had the high bid for all of two whole seconds. 😢

71315D74-456E-4B32-81F2-A292BDFFE732.png

On 3/31/2023 at 2:27 PM, Grant Turner said:

That Kirby/Stone FF 30 page went for 12.6 with BP

there are dealers selling Kirby/Stone pages for 2x that 

Not sure if the market is speaking or if the market is softening 

(and yes I understand that page to page comparisons would have some impact on price)

But of course, you’ll have same dealers exclaiming that those pieces “fell through the cracks”.

But….no. 

I thought that page was a little light, too.

Overall it was pretty cool, but for people who pick these things apart, it maybe had too many smaller panels and it also did not have any panels with the Thing in it.

On 4/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, J.Sid said:

I thought that page was a little light, too.

Overall it was pretty cool, but for people who pick these things apart, it maybe had too many smaller panels and it also did not have any panels with the Thing in it.

I love Kirby but his early FF looks very dated now

On 4/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, Michael Browning said:

Team America 1 far exceeded my expectations and I got crushed and lost big time. I had the high bid for all of two whole seconds. 😢

71315D74-456E-4B32-81F2-A292BDFFE732.png

I was watching this cover from the onset and I recall HA initially attributed the pencilling credits to Frank Miller before updating it to Bob Layton.

this title was one of those guilty pleasure purchases when I was a kid (along with Dazzler, if I had extra money) 🤣

On 4/1/2023 at 9:06 AM, artdealer said:

But of course, you’ll have same dealers exclaiming that those pieces “fell through the cracks”.

But….no. 

Chic Stone was amazing. His work on JIM 112 comes to mind.

But when it comes to Kirby.....

MAKE MINE JOE SINNOTT INKS

On 4/1/2023 at 10:50 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Strong finish for J. Scott Campbell  Gen 13 splash Page - $43,200

It's further proof that the money 💰 won't always flow to "all" silver and Bronze Age pages. Nostalgia and desire for 90's up is strong and those kid collectors have grow up.They have a lot more disposable income than I did. 
And JSC is pretty terrific IMHO. I have to add a piece one day. But Michael Turner is higher on my personal list.

On 4/1/2023 at 2:06 PM, grapeape said:

It's further proof that the money 💰 won't always flow to "all" silver and Bronze Age pages. Nostalgia and desire for 90's up is strong and those kid collectors have grow up.They have a lot more disposable income than I did. 
And JSC is pretty terrific IMHO. I have to add a piece one day. But Michael Turner is higher on my personal list.

Yeah, I've come to really appreciate JSC more over the years.   I don't know about 40k for that, but his art is pretty cool. 

On 4/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Strong finish for J. Scott Campbell  Gen 13 splash Page - $43,200

27537590%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

I like and appreciate well-drawn art featuring women. Maybe it is my age... or the fact I have a 21 y.o. daughter... but JSC's rendering here of tied-up teenage girls creeps me the f--- out.

On 4/1/2023 at 10:51 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I like and appreciate well-drawn art featuring women. Maybe it is my age... or the fact I have a 21 y.o. daughter... but JSC's rendering here of tied-up teenage girls creeps me the f--- out.

+ one