• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2023 at 7:56 AM, KirbyCollector said:

15K? Clean page, Williamson inks, rare full splash of Rachel, decent (but tragic) story, and JR JR's art has an understated Sienkiewicz influence (the New Mutants run predated this by 2 years)

$20k easy....possibly more.....JR JR run on X-Men is powerfully nostalgic for many

On 2/13/2023 at 6:09 PM, comix4fun said:

I don't know if people were taking a dump on it as much as postulating that being a departure from his popular style is the reason it went for far less than his more mainstream current and recent work.  

But, yes, nostalgia is a powerful force. It's why people pay whatever it takes for Miller Dark Knight but would pass on Miller bowls of fruit or pastoral landscapes if they were nearly free. The title and era and characters of comic artwork is inextricably linked to demand and, ultimately, price. 

Yeah for sure, thats why I mentioned what I said was from a perspective of just looking at the art. They don't seem too far off from each other in that perspective to me. 

Obviously with all the extra not-art related fixins such as the brand name of the artists, the series its from, nostalgia, etc, I'd take this page over the Skottie cover, if just for the resell value if nothing else.

And slightly more appropriate for the comiclink thread I guess but I just wanted to add, the Skottie cover is really just a departure of his Marvel/DC cover style. His art for his creator-owned stuff is pretty in-line with that cover (But of course his Marvel/DC stuff would be his more well-known popular style as you put it). 

Edited by JC25427N

On 2/13/2023 at 5:17 PM, JC25427N said:

And slightly more appropriate for the comiclink thread I guess but I just wanted to add, the Skottie cover is really just a departure of his Marvel/DC cover style. His art for his creator-owned stuff is pretty in-line with his cover (But of course his Marvel/DC stuff would be his more well-known popular style as you put it). 

I was a HUGE fan of Scottie's original style before he started doing all the "little" versions of heroes. So, the clink piece is more in line with what I dug about him when he first started working in comics. 

On 2/13/2023 at 6:07 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I literally stopped collecting X-Men after issue 200 of the original series. So this particular JR Jr page does diddly squat for me. 

Aww you missed the great Rachel and wolverine stories and the really terrific Nimrod arc. 

On 2/14/2023 at 8:35 PM, artdealer said:

I owned the original splash page back in the 70s. 
My opinion? Wish I never sold it. 

Is that because you liked the art enough to want to keep it, or because it's worth a lot more nowadays than what you're likely to have sold it for?

On 2/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

$20k easy....possibly more.....JR JR run on X-Men is powerfully nostalgic for many

I agree.  It is a nice image, the Phoenix concept is quite sought after, even though this particular persona is probably not the most popular (I like the Rachael character allright, but I think the character was better handled later on in Excalibur).     Artistically, JrJr was still transitioning from the "Marvel style" of his early work (IM and Spiderman) to his own distinctive style.  I personally think he fully blossomed later in the DD run with Nocenti.  The UXM stuff is nice but a big merit goes to Green, who was in my mind the unsung hero of the X-Men look of the '80s.  Just my 2 cents.  Anyway at that time UXM was hugely popular, was it already at 700k circulation? So I am sure this piece will have big demand and will do well (I would go after it myself had I not just bought a DD splash).

Carlo