• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware…Fake high value CGC books in Pacific Northwest
14 14

334 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2023 at 7:51 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The period in the 6.5 example (between the 6 and the 5) is a circle.  The period in the 9.0 copy (between the 9 and the 0) is more egg/oval shaped. 

The font is slightly narrower. You can see the differences in the letter M/m as well.

I help out at a comic shop and whenever someone comes in selling books, I mean big books not a pile of books for say $50.

They need to show valid id and their id has a picture taken of it and they are written out a check.

They don't like that then no deal.

For dealers the big problem can be stolen books. If they are bought and find out later stolen then the shop loses it's money but at least has a pic of the id of a potential person selling stolen merch.

On 2/19/2023 at 8:33 PM, Domo Arigato said:
On 2/19/2023 at 7:27 PM, VintageComics said:

The name of the scammer in the listing sounds like someone well known in the NW. Obviously he can't reveal the full name due to the police investigation but I think most old timers know who it is. 

He posted these in part two.

I missed the part two. Thanks!

It is possible if they did NOT show ID that the names are faked. 

On 2/20/2023 at 4:56 AM, VintageComics said:

The only reason CGC is in business is because they build trust into the product. If you eliminate the trust you no longer have a product.

There's no way they're going to let a $500 Million + company slide into obsolescence because of some criminals. 

You're talking about a company who missed incorrect back covers on at least 3 books (that I know of) in a pedigree collection they made a huge deal over, not to mention all the overgrading in that same collection and their daily struggle to get correct labels on books.   

What trust are you talking about?

On 2/20/2023 at 9:10 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Even though the differences seem minor, my brain picked up that something was off with the 6.5 immediately upon seeing the Hulk 1 pic.   Look at a specific font long enough, and you’re definitely going to notice any variation. 
66568056-FF6D-40FA-B691-4173F5C8881D.jpeg.e925c5e527842e721e97c810457738d5.jpegBBD98244-E7BF-461B-9DD9-43365362A838.jpeg.b00257b3796cc4d4cba95777da132b09.jpeg

true, but at some point, those fonts could be an exact duplicate and then what do we do...