• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She divorced him because he collected comics....

73 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, october said:

Still unclear why a family with millions of dollars in comics that they are actively selling needs a kickstarter to fund a vanity documentary. 

Even more unclear is why anyone in their right mind would pledge anything towards it. 

Ridiculous. 

Why invest with your own money when other dummies will offer theirs instead?

I don't think it's the 'right' way, but it's how the bankers teach it.

As I said earlier… this story really has many of us with mixed feelings… the more I keep reading into it and finding out more makes me really go back and fourth on my feelings about this situation. At times I want to side with the father and at other times I want to side with the family. 
Either way hopefully everyone can find some peace and closure!

On 4/4/2023 at 5:23 PM, Krismusic said:

As I said earlier… this story really has many of us with mixed feelings… the more I keep reading into it and finding out more makes me really go back and fourth on my feelings about this situation. At times I want to side with the father and at other times I want to side with the family. 
Either way hopefully everyone can find some peace and closure!

Yes,  I know we tend to gravitate towards the father being comic collectors but there are two sides to every story.  

Screenshot_20230404-184750_Brave.jpg

Edited by WolverineX

On 4/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, WolverineX said:

Yes,  I know we tend to gravitate towards the father being comic collectors but there are two sides to every story.  

Screenshot_20230404-184750_Brave.jpg

He looks dead in that photo. Are we sure this isn't a Weekend At Bernie's style caper? 

On 4/4/2023 at 12:00 AM, WolverineX said:

I assume you're not donating to their Kickstarter then?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1861948680/selling-superman/description

While I don't have a collection of 300,000 if anyone wants to give me a couple of thousand I'll let them look at my collection too.  Seriously, who is the backer that paid $10,000? I can think of way better things to do with $10,000.

Pledge $10,000

Selling Superman Family Collection

With this pledge, you enter the secret confines of the Selling Superman family collection. We'll happily show you the collection in-person. Come to Michigan and witness the collection, talk shop, and enjoy looking through some amazing books together. You'll also receive all our digital gifts as well. (This reward does not include travel/lodging)

Includes:
  • Family Tour of the Collection
  • Photo of You/Book in Credits
  • Everything from Super Member Access
  • Everything from Secret Stash
  • Road to Dharma Doc-Series and Online Course in Freedom
  • First Look Digital Screening + Q&A
Estimated delivery Dec 2022
Reward location Detroit, MI
1 backer
Add-ons

On 4/6/2023 at 8:23 AM, Robot Man said:

Reminds me a little of Edgar Church’s family but they wern’t as smart…

It's kinda similar, but remember back then also there was no internet so it was much tougher back then to look up prices for the books and not as much buzz about the hobby too compared to now.  Just different timeframes where things have drastically changed since then.  I bet if the Church heirs had the collection now, they would be more knowledgable about it and would have the books graded, appraised, etc. then auctioned off.   

On 4/6/2023 at 11:27 AM, toro said:

Seriously, who is the backer that paid $10,000? I can think of way better things to do with $10,000.

Probably someone in the family who will get the money back. No one wants to be the first kid on the dance floor, so the sponsors always push one of their own kids out there to get the ball rolling.

At least it's not as bad as "Best Seller" book publishers who buy a million copies of their own books to say that they "sold a million copies" on the cover.

On 4/6/2023 at 11:23 AM, Robot Man said:

Reminds me a little of Edgar Church’s family but they wern’t as smart…

No way would Chuck get his hands on Church's comics in this day in age.  Edgar's family would have consigned it all to Heritage. 

Kind of makes you wonder what the Church family thinks now (if there even are descendants)  .  All their generational wealth ultimately funding  another man's business.   

C'est la vie

Edited by WolverineX

On 4/6/2023 at 9:51 AM, Dark Knight said:

It's kinda similar, but remember back then also there was no internet so it was much tougher back then to look up prices for the books and not as much buzz about the hobby too compared to now.  Just different timeframes where things have drastically changed since then.  I bet if the Church heirs had the collection now, they would be more knowledgable about it and would have the books graded, appraised, etc. then auctioned off.   

Indeed. But ‘ole Edgar’s heirs at the time didn’t like him much and were more than happy to dispose of him and his legacy.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:27 AM, toro said:

While I don't have a collection of 300,000 if anyone wants to give me a couple of thousand I'll let them look at my collection too.  Seriously, who is the backer that paid $10,000? I can think of way better things to do with $10,000.

Pledge $10,000

Selling Superman Family Collection

With this pledge, you enter the secret confines of the Selling Superman family collection. We'll happily show you the collection in-person. Come to Michigan and witness the collection, talk shop, and enjoy looking through some amazing books together. You'll also receive all our digital gifts as well. (This reward does not include travel/lodging)

Includes:
  • Family Tour of the Collection
  • Photo of You/Book in Credits
  • Everything from Super Member Access
  • Everything from Secret Stash
  • Road to Dharma Doc-Series and Online Course in Freedom
  • First Look Digital Screening + Q&A
Estimated delivery Dec 2022
Reward location Detroit, MI
1 backer
Add-ons

What a scam/ripoff. Harley got in and bought a bunch of stuff. Wonder what he had to do for the “privledge”? 

On 4/6/2023 at 11:24 AM, Robot Man said:

What a scam/ripoff. Harley got in and bought a bunch of stuff. Wonder what he had to do for the “privledge”? 

He was approached by the consignor at Motor City con last year and they hit it off. Apparently, only the Bat 1 and Supe 1 went to HA. 

On 4/7/2023 at 6:13 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Are ALL 'serious' collectors on the spectrum... even just a little bit?

I'm pretty sure everyone is on the spectrum, at least a little. I mean, have you met people?