• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She divorced him because he collected comics....

73 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 8:15 AM, SkOw said:

As someone that has actually seen the books and now owns some, the condition overall is pretty amazing. There are some rags he clearly bought second hand but the books he had multiple copies of off the newsstand are all very nice.  For example the stack of SME 15s were all in the 8.0-9.4 range.  

If Darren allows me to take some pictures and post them I will.  I could say a lot more but I don’t want to betray any trust. Let’s just say it is the greatest collection I’ve ever seen and it isn’t even close, and some national auction houses back me up on that claim.  Also the family are genuinely good people IMO. 

That is good news! I got burned on one of these “finds” which were several stinky books in yellowed bags that were so toasted, Cheech and Chong would have been blown away. So I was skeptical, but good news this is not the case here!

On 3/31/2023 at 7:15 AM, SkOw said:

As someone that has actually seen the books and now owns some, the condition overall is pretty amazing. There are some rags he clearly bought second hand but the books he had multiple copies of off the newsstand are all very nice.  For example the stack of SME 15s were all in the 8.0-9.4 range.  

And as someone who has seen the collection, any idea as to the quantity and quality of the GA portion of the collection beyond just the Supes 1 and Bat 1?  ???

Especially how far back it goes and does it have some of the hard to find Fox books or some of the true rarites like the Centaur books?  :wishluck:

Don't really care so much for commn BA books like SME 15 because I ended up with something like 4 or 5 copies for myself in my search for a perfectly well centered copy back in the day.  All I can say is that this book must have been one of those warehouse finds because I remember "tripping" over them everytime I went into one of the LCS's and eventually gave up my search for the so-called "perfect one" because they simply got way too expensive for my wallet and the ones that I got are probably already in the 9.2 to hopeful squished squashed 9.6 condition grade range.  :p

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, joeypost said:

Did it mention anything about him being on the autism spectrum?

One of them did i think it was on Youtube

On 4/1/2023 at 10:22 AM, joeypost said:

Did it mention anything about him being on the autism spectrum?

One of the TV news reports mentioned the original owner having Asperger's Syndrome.

*EDIT* : actually, it was in the video in the original post of this thread - just a brief mention.

Edited by Telegan

The story makes me reflect on self, and all I can say is I am thrilled I didn't choose the legal profession for a career and make the kind of income that could afford to buy this quantity of comics because I likely would have. 

I have had a relationship end over comics. 

Edited by Artboy99

I find it distasteful that they're going to profit from the sale of the books when they all hated his collecting habits.  The documentary that they're producing is a total cash grab too.  My kids really like the stuff I collect, but I hope to have it all sold off long before I die so that they don't have to be burdened with the chore of liquidating it all.  In fact, I've told my wife numerous times to pick out a few things for the kids and donate the rest.  Let the life insurance cover the value.  :-)

On 4/4/2023 at 1:37 PM, WolverineX said:

Well if they are divorced,  the money doesn't automatically go to her,  right?

I don't know, I haven't watched the video yet. :shiftyeyes:

On 4/4/2023 at 2:03 PM, WolverineX said:

Actually,  it sounds like she didn't take any money...

20230404_000432.thumb.jpg.6f006fb9adcc0c41abf22ac656fcf83e.jpg

Good on her. Great to see someone with principles like that. I salute her, and am genuinely sorry the comics collection brought her such sorrow. Hopefully now she's free to lead the life she wants (and same for him). 

Cheers for the info! 

Edited by Cat

On 4/4/2023 at 2:00 PM, WolverineX said:

I assume you're not donating to their Kickstarter then?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1861948680/selling-superman/description

Yeah nah. 

I think it would be great for them to give all the proceeds of the comic book sales to mental health clinics and to fund this uplifting movie.  That way they can better assist others and get rid of all those hurtful comics!