• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with CGC grading a CLEANED and pressed book with a purple label. My thoughts.
7 7

217 posts in this topic

The direction this thread took is bizarre. It went from a legitimate concern about cover dry cleaning to somehow arriving at the consensus that he UV treated all his books and got what he deserved. 

Unless I missed it there’s no evidence he did anything other than dry cleaning. If that’s true then the Purple labels are a mistake correct?

On 4/17/2023 at 4:45 PM, Topnotchman said:

The referees are throwing flags on these aqua cleaned up books.  Instead of taking responsibility theses you tubers just want to create more drama with their complaining. The entire “wow” me you tubers is actually quite silly, it’s all side bar entertainment to me. 

I don’t know of any trusted comic restoration or pressing professional that has any type of drama driven social media platform. 

Yep, bunch of guys pushing the boundaries of cleaning and pressing and posing as experts on social media.  Now they're getting caught lol 

On 4/16/2023 at 3:42 PM, MrPcfixer said:

I understand some of the questions but attacking people for bringing up the question is petty. I amongst many others do my own cleaning and pressing and I am concerned that cleaning books will bring a PLOD for using a water bath and dry eraser. These are very basic techniques and yes some of these are getting flagged as "RESTORED". CGC is basing alot of this on assumptions because if you look at a cover and see it cleaned and tidy then open up the book and see tanned pages well you are going to assume it was cleaned. I reallty dont want to argue with anyone. It seems thats all people do now adays is find something to argue about no matter what. I like to think these forums and others like this are here to help/educate/uplift people. I see too many people happy or upset that someone else is able to do something they cant or wont and then attack. I did ask for opinions and I thank each and everyone who participates in this all be it negative or positive. I will gladly debate anyone with decoram and kindness anyday about what RESTORATION vs CLEANING means. Hopefully we can all learn something from this as we go. And for those who asked about evidence or proof the one video poseted is just the tip of the iceberg. Hang tight I will post a few more here so you can see some of the seeds of chaos this is sewing. Hobby Hero/ Immaculate Comics is a really amazing person who is always on the cutting edge of responsible cleaning https://www.youtube.com/@ImmaculateComics. I can keep going but start with these and I will answer questions as I go.

I'll let @joeypost or @The Lions Dencorrect me if wrong, but I believe a water bath has always been considered restoration. 

Or are you arguing it shouldn't be restoration??? 

On 4/17/2023 at 11:11 PM, KCOComics said:

I'll let @joeypost or @The Lions Dencorrect me if wrong, but I believe a water bath has always been considered restoration. 

Or are you arguing it shouldn't be restoration??? 

At a minimum it’s considered conserved. 

On 4/16/2023 at 9:34 AM, MrPcfixer said:

Im going to keep this short but would like the entire community to give me honest input. As of late CGC has been sending out purple labels left right and center for "RESTORATION FOR CLEANED COVER". Now heres the issue with this. Is dirt boogers and god knows what else part of a comic book when it comes off the press? I dont believe so no. Would a person rather own a book covered in filth versus a cleaned cover that brings the book back as close to new as it can be? I believe so yes. CGC hasnt had a problem with cleaning books until recently. Even in the CGC grading guide nowhere does it mention that cleaning the cover could be construed as "RESTORATION". By definition means to "RESTORE". I think CGC allowing a person to openly give an opinion on if a book is "TOO CLEAN FOR ITS AGE", is a really bad precedent. By grading books with purple labels for a simple cleaning is killing the community as of late. Its all anyone is talking about in the clean and press community. Unless CGC changes its standards and DEFINES restoration as CLEANING A COVER USING STANDARD METHODS. I think CGC will be taking a pretty big hit long term to its submissions. Theres ALOT of extremely good professional cleaners and pressers out there submitting thousands of books a year for their clients. When those clients start getting purple labels back well there goes the client. CGC You are only hurting the community as a whole doing this. NOONE is saying "ohhh thank GOD that booger and blood and dirt is still on this comic phew!"

I guess I'm a little lost with your point.  Anything beyond dry cleaning has always been considered restoration. 

If there are pressers cleaning their clients books with water baths, this is a huge disservice to their clients. This is restoration or conservation and has always been. 

If pressers have historically been able to slide this past CGC, then I'm glad cgc has figured out how to detect it. 

On 4/16/2023 at 2:21 PM, joeypost said:

Looks like CGC is getting educated on what they need to look for (think micro-trimming) when is comes to blue Light and peroxide. 

Yeah, I figured they had a head-start on detecting this, which is (obv) a good thing.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:18 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Other than the fact that the professionals gave them Restored labels...?

Are these the same professionals that graded the UF4 acetates? The same ones that routinely put the wrong label in the wrong case. The same ones that, according to folks on this thread, routinely missed restoration until just recently?

I don’t think “CGC graders are infallible” is the hill you want to die on, or a reason to call the YouTuber a liar. 

On 4/17/2023 at 10:55 PM, BrashL said:

The direction this thread took is bizarre. It went from a legitimate concern about cover dry cleaning to somehow arriving at the consensus that he UV treated all his books and got what he deserved. 

Unless I missed it there’s no evidence he did anything other than dry cleaning. If that’s true then the Purple labels are a mistake correct?

I think it's the fact that he DOES UV treat his books...but not THIS time.

Edited by Hulksdaddy1

I appreciate everyones feedback I do. I counted about 20 or so different people who whole heartedly dislike the future of cleaning comics and the direction it has taken. I am on the other side of this "obviously" and have made my intentions clear and concise. Other than a few petty people intruding in the thread THANK you to all those that have posted I appreciate your honest feedback. 

On 4/18/2023 at 8:16 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The lack of self-awareness is astounding...

Ohh dont get me wrong sir. If you want to play petty games im down. I will call your BS out if you jump down my throat about something YOU clearly do yourself. So my self awareness is great thank you for not noticing the intentions behind that. If you decide to attack me I will in turn do the same. This is a board for disscussing comics. If you cant help but post butthurt feelings about a simple mistake well thats on you bub. 

On 4/18/2023 at 10:54 AM, MrPcfixer said:

Ohh dont get me wrong sir. If you want to play petty games im down. I will call your BS out if you jump down my throat about something YOU clearly do yourself. So my self awareness is great thank you for not noticing the intentions behind that. If you decide to attack me I will in turn do the same. This is a board for disscussing comics. If you cant help but post butthurt feelings about a simple mistake well thats on you bub. 

So you're just a hypocrite? Alternately, you could try to be a better person. (shrug)

On 4/18/2023 at 11:09 AM, BrashL said:

Ok then what is your point because your previous statement was “it was restored because CGC said so”. 

Oh, that was my point. Your straw-man wasn't my point. Restoration detection is a completely different matter from CGC's recent marketing shenanigans.