• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC’s OFFICIAL Mechanical Errors / Returns Policy
11 11

433 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2023 at 8:02 PM, Foolkiller said:

if you're on the Boards, you don't have to agree or be a CGC submitter.  You have every right to say whatever here on these boards, and you don't need to be a submitter and you can enjoy this community for what it is.  

The forum cops may beg to differ.

The boards are a community more than a hub for advertising anymore @NewWorldOrder even though it was created for that reason many people on here like @skypinkblu myself, @Foolkiller stay because of friendships made. It is an absolutely wonderful community and if CGC ever decided to shut it down we would slowly start finding eachother again and probably build something new, so being here and submitting do not need to go hand in hand. That said, coming here and whining about CGC will get absolutely nothing done, not many on these forums have enough juice to get our opinion truly heard. But we know that for the most part, sometimes people just wanna blow off steam.

Unless profits start being affected negatively, CGC has no incentive to change ANYTHING in favor of the submitter or be fair about.  It's all about the bottom line.  Don't like what they are doing, you can go elsewhere, or try to create your own
grading company to compete against them.  Do I like all these changes..  H*** No! but I will simply have to deal with it as best I can...(less submissions, more picky on what books get sent in..etc..)
Things will only change if it starts to affect the bottom line...Plain and simple!  Foolkiller summed it up best.  

• Administrator
On 5/18/2023 at 8:02 PM, troy.division said:

Question for CGC / @CGC Mike -
How is this being communicated to LCSs / eBay presellers that submit on behalf of customers?

14 days after any customer receives their submission, the OSF will not allow a mechanical error to be submitted.  

On 5/18/2023 at 8:36 PM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

That said, coming here and whining about CGC will get absolutely nothing done, not many on these forums have enough juice to get our opinion truly heard. 

It's clear that the folks here matter almost not at all. This post pretty much makes that 100% clear:

On 5/17/2023 at 12:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have been told the team is going to update the social media posts with more information.   I asked for a copy of that info, but was told I won't be getting a copy.  So, I guess you will have to check social for the added info.

On 5/18/2023 at 6:13 PM, ttfitz said:

It's clear that the folks here matter almost not at all. This post pretty much makes that 100% clear:

Bethany Black on Twitter: "90% of “anti-woke” articles are people over 45  going “I'm scared and I don't understand the world anymore! Why am I no  longer culturally relevant? It's the minorities'

• Administrator
On 5/18/2023 at 9:13 PM, ttfitz said:

On 5/17/2023 at 12:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have been told the team is going to update the social media posts with more information.   I asked for a copy of that info, but was told I won't be getting a copy.  So, I guess you will have to check social for the added info.

People here matter.  The forum is looked at as a community, and social as mostly all customers and not a community setting.   We post stuff on Social Media, and it overflows here.    Also, I have helped a large amount of people with various problems.  The customer service team has as well.  I do make sure your voice gets heard by upper management.  To say this place doesn't matter is wrong.  

• Administrator

The CGC Chat Boards have been an integral part of the hobby for nearly 20 years, creating a community for thousands of collectors worldwide, with millions of posts forming a wealth of knowledge and information that cannot be found anywhere else in the industry. Users have also enjoyed the benefits of the Marketplace, a section of the boards that allows collectors to buy, sell and trade their comics and related material.

CGC has taken some time to review its chat board strategy, and we have a few updates to announce that will further promote our goal of providing a fun, friendly and engaging platform for every user.

Moderation of the boards has always been a challenging job for all involved, particularly when dealing with disagreements and violations of board policy. Going forward, the job of moderation will be handled strictly by paid CGC employees. In addition to bringing moderation in-house, a team comprised of CGC senior management will oversee moderation, providing input and ensuring that moderation is handled in an objective, impartial manner that is fair to board users.

CGC is grateful to those who have assisted with moderation over the years. Your energy invested in maintaining the boards was at times a herculean task, and for your efforts, we are eternally grateful.

The CGC Chat Boards guidelines have also been updated, and they include a detailed explanation of the CGC’s moderation philosophy. Most of these guidelines should be common sense to board users, particularly in regards to inappropriate posts and content. Politics in particular have become one of the most challenging aspects of moderation, given the social climate of today.

Because the CGC Chat Boards are meant to be an open and positive environment for the discussion of comics-related topics, we stress that users should refrain from including politics in their posts. We expect all board members to treat each other fairly and with kindness, which will not only ease the job of moderation, but also ensure a welcome atmosphere for newcomers and veterans alike.

Another area of change involves the Marketplace. Guidelines for sale listings have been updated, and now include a 24-hour notice to be given to users whose sales threads contain minor violations. This gives users time to correct the violation, rather than having a moderator remove the entire thread.

CGC would also like to introduce its new CGC Chat Boards Community Liaison, Michael Greenwood! Many members already know Michael, a collector with years of experience

— both in comics and the CGC Chat Boards. Michael’s involvement and other members of the CGC team will strengthen CGC’s interaction and transparency with collectors and dealers. We feel Michael is a great fit for his role in this new endeavor, and we expect to soon supplement his efforts with other help from CGC employees.

Thank you for being involved in this vibrant, exciting community of which we are proud to be a part. Our new guidelines can be found here.

Matt Nelson

CGC President

I bet some of the “they don’t care what you think” people are the first ones to call the higher ups and complain about a grade they disagree with. lol

On 5/18/2023 at 9:23 PM, CGC Mike said:

People here matter.  The forum is looked at as a community, and social as mostly all customers and not a community setting.   We post stuff on Social Media, and it overflows here.    Also, I have helped a large amount of people with various problems.  The customer service team has as well.  I do make sure your voice gets heard by upper management.  To say this place doesn't matter is wrong.  

I believe that you and maybe some others in the chain care but I doubt the corporate sector does. You guys do what you can but it’s usually a hard fight when money is involved. 

I was posting early on, asked questions, I had to simmer myself. This thread hasn't caused any "more" boiling over for me, and I have no contention with pro cgc and the warm environment. Some of it settled into, for me, have I been too freely posting to remain friendly? That is my own personal thoughts when people lean to this being more of a business atmosphere

I have no problem with either, and I appreciate @CGC Mike being polite to bring it back to community, as weve spent time here, and most posts remain. Searchable and we all hope somewhere somehow weve contributed.

I simmered becasuse it was all like a rush of "ah man!" I know i dont submit that much, but I could feel others distress coming. I'm glad for the most part that intentionally cracking or messing with subs or any other possible mistreatment of "me" subs was not explored. I think cgc can't say all that might have been hurting or hemorrhaging. 

I remain grateful for the help while it lasted, and this happens once a year or so when the policy gets cutback. While saddened FOR others, this all still can feel somehow needing some kind of mending fence or satisfaction. I'm more upset, personally anyway, with qc than Newton rings specifically , but I do hope to hope for the future. 

Knuckling till tomorrow, but hoping for better.  :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/18/2023 at 9:23 PM, CGC Mike said:

Sorry, Mike, but given that the response when you asked about getting a copy of the updated information was not "Oh, sure, Mike, we should have included you on the distribution list" but was in fact a flat "nope", it seems a pretty clear indication that these boards aren't the bottom of the totem pole, but aren't even on the totem pole.

(And this shouldn't be taken as a criticism of you and the yeoman's work you do on behalf of those here)

On 5/18/2023 at 6:50 PM, Gaard said:

Maybe I did too many drugs in my youth ... I just don't understand how people can agree with this policy. (shrug)

I think others nicer than me have summed it up nicely for you.  Scroll up.  Foolkillers response is spot on.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:50 PM, Gaard said:

Maybe I did too many drugs in my youth ... I just don't understand how people can agree with this policy. (shrug)

Honestly, I have no issue with the 14 days.  Even if they get more strict and make it an actual 14 days.  The ones who will suffer are the ones who submit through retailers and can't pick them up right away. 

The biggest issue is the Newton ring exclusion.  They don't do anything to fix the problem and now you're just stuck with it no matter how bad.

Maybe the news would go over better if along with this announcement they had added "and we know how bad we've been screwing up so we're going to provide a better product".

Best case would be to fix the problems AND get rid of the Newton Rings. Does the competition have some sort of patent on quality, clear, Newton Ring-free materials/techniques?