• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERO RESTORATION - BOOKS NOT BEING RETURNED
20 20

961 posts in this topic

I had a friend who opened a comic book store in a small college town back in 1985... he never took out a loan. Worked a full time night job the first couple of years. I worked for him for 'store credit' back while I was in college, on new release day. Still remember that time fondly. While other comic shops came and went throughout the 90's, bigger, flashier, more space, larger cities, he... just kept doing what he did day after day. 

Eventually bought a house for him and his wife. Put his kids through college. Wow... 38 years went by just like that. 

I don't get to see him much anymore. I'm either out of the country or on the East Coast, but the last time I was in his shop was around 5 years ago. 33 years he'd been in that town, running his business. Never hired another employee. Still doing it the same way. 

I was buying some books from him and standing at the counter talking, when I grabbed his adding machine to figure something out and... I looked at that and said, "Is this the same adding machine you've had since you opened?"

It wasn't, he'd gotten this one TWO YEARS AFTER he opened - so it was only 31 years old... B|

That's some amazing discipline. To open a business, not borrow ANY money, run it everyday on your own, keep those expenses to a minimum... helps keep the casualties down too... 

It's a smart way to do business when you really do love what you do. 

On 7/15/2023 at 1:40 PM, thehumantorch said:

It's a mess.  I feel sympathy for Hero because he really is in a hole he can't dig out of but I also have to recognize that he dug that hole.  

100 percent.

Making it right should be the biggest priority but the stress and anxiety related to filing that hole is detrimental to HR’s health, but the customer paid for a service and business doesn’t care about your problems.

I wish I had the skills and equipment to help out so people get what they paid for and HR can get out of this hole but I don’t have any answers unfortunately.

I wish everybody luck but It’s definitely FUBAR. 

On 7/15/2023 at 11:54 AM, topofthetotem said:

I wish I had the skills and equipment to help out so people get what they paid for and HR can get out of this hole but I don’t have any answers unfortunately.

The thing is, early on in the thread people were sympathetic to the health concerns going so far as to cover some of the costs of shipping.  I believe some boardies even inquired where Hero's was located and said if they were closer they'd help pack books for a day.  Instead of meeting those offers with appreciation, they were met with jokes and excuses.

Frankly, I'm still sympathetic for the ongoing medical conditions, but he burned A LOT of goodwill with his early responses to customers and boardies alike.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:02 PM, Steven Valdez said:

You're always working for someone, whether it's an employer or your customers/clients.

They key word for being in your own business is 'self-discipline'.

Well, actually when you are working for someone else, there is "direction and control" by someone else. That's the definition at least in most States that determines whether you are self employed or an employee. That term along with a series of questions that follow, determines whether you are liable for certain taxes, or your "employer" is and or eligible for certain benefits.  I worked for the Dept of Labor for more more years than I like to admit;) so that kind of expertise, I do have.

Self-discipline certainly helps in either situation, so does being organized.  

On 7/16/2023 at 1:44 PM, skypinkblu said:

Well, actually when you are working for someone else, there is "direction and control" by someone else. That's the definition at least in most States that determines whether you are self employed or an employee. That term along with a series of questions that follow, determines whether you are liable for certain taxes, or your "employer" is and or eligible for certain benefits.  I worked for the Dept of Labor for more more years than I like to admit;) so that kind of expertise, I do have.

Self-discipline certainly helps in either situation, so does being organized.  

Either way, you have to answer to someone and keep them happy.

On 7/15/2023 at 10:01 PM, ExNihilo said:

The thing is, early on in the thread people were sympathetic to the health concerns going so far as to cover some of the costs of shipping.  I believe some boardies even inquired where Hero's was located and said if they were closer they'd help pack books for a day.  Instead of meeting those offers with appreciation, they were met with jokes and excuses.

Frankly, I'm still sympathetic for the ongoing medical conditions, but he burned A LOT of goodwill with his early responses to customers and boardies alike.

Yeah, I saw them. FUBAR.

On 7/16/2023 at 3:43 PM, thehumantorch said:

All of the drama aside the one thing I can't get past or forgive is spending customers money before it's earned.  It should be held in trust until the work is done and the customer is happy.

And Hero, you've mentioned this thread is killing any chance of saving your business, but this is your mess, the customers have been scrwewed, sooner or later someone was gonna make this public.  It may hurt but it's the truth and your customers and prospective customers deserve to hear it.  How could we just sit back and ignore this and let more people send in books and money and potentially enjoy the same fate?

I think he's still taking submissions, or was until very recently. I'm sure he can clarify the matter here.

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 7/16/2023 at 12:54 AM, Steven Valdez said:

I think he's still taking submissions, or was until very recently. I'm sure he can clarify the matter here.

He shouldn't be, he no longer has a valid business as he filed for dissolution.

On 7/16/2023 at 9:32 AM, joeypost said:

That was my approach when things got crazy. I understand the 14 hour days without a break for months on end. But, I never thought to expand, knowing the headaches that come with expansion of a business. I forged ahead and after 3 years am finally able to catch my breath ( a little). Unfortunately, many small businesses (not just comic related) expanded during the Covid boom only to close shop or lay off most of the staff they trained, who have now become their competitors. 

Yes.

Although my business is not remotely comic book related, when the number of contracts is about to increase I always inform the (Edit) prospective customer that I will hire contractors to perform the legwork and I will conduct the data analysis, write the report, etc. I also always direct my attorney to include the requisite language in the contracts. If a prospective customer does not agree to such, I decline the contract.

Edit 2: I did not expand during the COVID-19 Pandemic  but did start to conduct, which I continue to this day, primarily (about 95%) remote research because, simply, I had previously traveled virtually non-stop to extremely remote locations that were, as one can imagine, very difficult to reach and for typically very long periods for the past almost 35 years. I also now accept fewer contracts as I became very selective in late 2020. If the research is not, in my informed opinion, worthwhile, I decline the contract.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

On 7/16/2023 at 9:20 AM, Semicentennial said:

I know this is a bad situation for Hero, but given what's he's said and done so far, I certainly hope he isn't going through bankruptcy by going through the Michael Scott way, and doing it the right way.

As long as he asks PowerPoint what to do, he’ll be fine.