• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First World Problems: My Subs Just Got Graded, Lower Than Expected and Value Since Cratered
1 1

61 posts in this topic

You sent in books that you and the seller you got them from thought were decent grades.

CGC shows they're lower grades than what you expected.

Possibilities:

1. You and seller misgraded them.

2. Books got damaged shipping them to CGC.

3. CGC damaged them after receiving them and before grading.

4. CGC misgraded them.

5. CGC mixed up your books.

hm

On 7/5/2023 at 7:10 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The suck part is that they're in freefall on GPA

You're lucky you didn't have to send back a bunch of them due mechanical error, the GPA freefall suckage could have been worse.

On 7/9/2023 at 12:42 PM, GACollectibles said:

You're lucky you didn't have to send back a bunch of them due mechanical error, the GPA freefall suckage could have been worse.

don’t be so hasty 

what is with the off centered grade on the label and why does the typeset of the creators info spill over onto that grade

On 7/9/2023 at 1:27 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

don’t be so hasty 

what is with the off centered grade on the label and why does the typeset of the creators info spill over onto that grade

+1 and were they all like that? idk but glad you posted it to begin with, as that is ??? 

@Dr. Balls

On 7/5/2023 at 4:10 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Just looked at my Submission Tracking, my BA books and one SA book came in up to a full point lower than mine (and seller) estimates. The suck part is that they're in freefall on GPA. I'm glad I really like the books, because they're gonna be on my wall for awhile. They are not big books by any means, and the value drop is a couple hundred dollars (plus grading fees) so life could be worse. Just wanted to get on here and make my GPA Face:

yikes-david-rose.gif

I know the feeling. I had a book come back what I thought but the price has since cratered from the $2700 I paid for it to $700. Glad I like the book! Another went from $800 to $400. And these are keys too. The pandemic plus a bunch of other factors. Can't do anything about it. Here's my GPA Face. Boo. Hiss. Resignation. Acceptance.

image.jpeg.c7f8b32ead58b74dbd76620a082d3786.jpeg

On 7/9/2023 at 2:02 PM, Kramerica said:

I know the feeling. I had a book come back what I thought but the price has since cratered from the $2700 I paid for it to $700. Glad I like the book! Another went from $800 to $400. And these are keys too. The pandemic plus a bunch of other factors. Can't do anything about it. Here's my GPA Face. Boo. Hiss. Resignation. Acceptance.

image.jpeg.c7f8b32ead58b74dbd76620a082d3786.jpeg

summer-of-gaming-summer-of-george.gif

On 7/8/2023 at 9:39 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I got them from well-established sellers here, and I agreed with their grades when I got them - I also have photos of my subs before I sent them in, so we’ll see what’s up when they arrive!

I've been looking over the CGC scans this morning and comparing, and some of the issues they've called out in the graders notes I can see, but some I can't because I have to see them at an angle. I don't think my books had been damaged or anything, I just think the grading is suuuuuuuuuper tight.

The main one that is surprising is my X-Men 49, which I bought as an 8.5 and is really, really nice. The grader's notes call out:

light corner creases left bottom of back cover
light corner creases left top of back cover

And I can't really see them in the scans, and I don't remember how significant they were - but the lower staple stress on the FC is what I felt was the major factor in the 8.5 grade. Coming back as a 7.5 was a surprise for sure and the grader's notes not calling out the staple stress:

X-Men049CGCFRONT.thumb.jpg.d9923632454b1be7841e96b7f3030c60.jpgX-Men049CGCBACK.thumb.jpg.7a1acfb2a8b5ff88fbd6eec21a4475ed.jpg

Original scan of the FC:

X-Men49Front.thumb.jpg.31b7027d6cf6a3539a9a0a0544b25858.jpg

I don't think CGC is guilty of doing anything other than picking pepper out of gnat shart on grading. I buy the book, not the grade - it’s really a gorgeous book, I’m not terribly bent about it.

it would look even better in mylar.

On 7/9/2023 at 7:56 PM, Dr. Balls said:

No, just this one. It passed through a few people's hands on it's way to being shipped, with each one looking at it and saying to themselves: IDGAF. It's just the way the world works now. I'm super excited when the Millennials bring this attitude to the nursing home while serving me my medications 30 years from now.

Lol realism I love it, as I cart around and try to empathize with the elderly at the moment too, and hoping I'm that blessed with a long life with my needs met!

Yes small potatoes for now, but I'd look into it while it's free, and yet, maybe they'll offer some cgc credit as well.

It is one of those things that people turn their head at the moment, as it is abundant, but unless you're off loading it soon go with some kind of fix. Idk it would set my mind at ease if it were mine, but then I have similar I haven't fixed cause it wasn't free either :goodvsevil: because I wasn't the submitter. I guess I've bought them too lol

I feel you, its like hoping for it not be this hard from now on, and idk if we were spoiled from cgc to begin with haha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM