• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F eBay. Other sales platform suggestions and experiences?
2 2

70 posts in this topic

- I have my own website but i don´t have money now to promote it 

- I do comiclink - Its very easy to work with them

- Facebook groups - I try to post 2 - 3 times a week in niche groups and works well

- I am trying reels at Instagram but even with almost 5K followers i dont get attention but since my ebay and my instagram accounts have the same logo and name , people from Ebay search at instagram for me to buy stuff outside Ebay

I have also almost all my stuff with Best Offer option. If someone sends me an offer i try to find his username at instagram to contact them and F... Ebay. I sold a $2300 item last month using this tactic

Edited by Mijael.Levy

I guess you guys who think it's bad now don't remember the pre-internet days when the only way to move comics was to take them to a comic shop and get 50 cents on the dollar versus what you had paid—and that was for the good stuff that they cherry picked out of your collection.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/5/2023 at 12:06 AM, smarkjobber said:

I like the shortboxd app and basically only use it for their handy historical sales data which goes much further back than ebay's 90 days. Would definitely be down to make a purchase there, but two things: 1) I have never seen a listed price on boxd below the lowest ebay price, and 2) have never received a response off a single offer. Don't understand how the app still exists.

I want Shortboxed to thrive, as the technology is so far ahead of everything else out there in terms of a comics selling platform. However, I agree that books simply do not sell. It's hard to understand. I still list books on there occasionally because it's so easy but I never get offers and watchers ignore offers I send out.

As a buyer I used to scroll the new listings every day but abandoned that once they allowed raw books. It's turned into a dumping ground for drek, unfortunately. I think that was a tactical mistake on their part.

I quit selling on eBay a few years ago. Have been a member since 1998. Just kept going down hill and crazy expensive. Not to mention, the very poor  treatment of sellers.

In addition to comics, I also sold pulps, vintage toys and advertising items as well as other collectibles. Was a great place to reach the greatest amount of collectors. Really hurt not to have that venue. Just doing a lot more live shows.

Apparently, I’m not alone. Listings seem to be way down on the site.

Have been a long time Ebay seller as well; 98% of the time sales go smoothly.  Have sold over a hundred slabs and have been fortunate so far.  The biggest scam sellers have to face is when a buyer receives your item, they can claim you sent them either:

a) an empty box, or

b) something entirely different from what was in the listing.

So they open a Not As Described return case and demand a full refund.  They can't return your item anyway, because after all, you didn't send it according to them :) Or they'll send you back junk in a box.  If you refuse the return, they cry to Ebay and they force the refund anyway.  So now the buyer gets their money back AND they steal your item.  And it doesn't matter what evidence you have in your favor, Ebay's not gonna care.  It's bad enough when it happens over an item under $100, but I've heard horror stories of high-priced item thefts, where the only option a seller has is to get the local police involved and hope that spooks the scammer into sending the item back/dropping the scam.  It's one of the most infuriating problems out there, because you know you've gotten screwed, and Ebay will just be like 'meh'.  They made a decision a long time ago to kiss the buyer's behinds.

It's actually safer to sell via Ebay's International Program now, because the rules are different and have extra protections for sellers.  Buyers won't be able to get away with the same scam, because if a buyer wants to return an item for whatever reason, and you have No Returns on your listing, the buyer has it returned to an Ebay hub, where Ebay refunds them out of their own pocket (so Ebay eats the cost, up to $2500 I believe), and then Ebay will liquidate/sell off the item in some manner.  You as a seller get to keep the proceeds of the sale.

Selling on these boards is sounding more desirable.  If there's ever an issue between buyer and seller, CGC isn't going to play Referee like Ebay does.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Mycomicshop will list on ebay for you too, and with their consignment fee you can list the price you want er think will sell and between the venues of mycomicshop's handle when they list on their site and ebay.

I didn't think anything bad with comic link, but I did post the 7 or 8 page thread that is currently in comics general. I encourage you to read, but I'll try to summarize but wish you had read.

Their current auctions are doing lousy because their site has either been hacked, or otherwise down for two days in the middle of auctions,

Without reading that thread you sound odd by asking what is wrong when right now it is very obvious that currently they're having a possible auction loss and breach of data, while the site is down and no one bidding losing sales. Also with no communication to the outside via emails of phone though people have reached out, which people are saying in the thread is typical.

Again there was a reason I gave you the link, but cest LA vie, just there may be more "CURRENTLY " THAT I MISSED. :cheers:

While they are not responsible their seller's ask ridiculous prices on ebay have you ever looked at what MCS asked for on some raw books on ebay?  Its really my only complaint about MCS, but seller can ask what they want I guess I think it makes MCS look expensive overall which many times on their site they are not.

There are multiple platforms to choose from. However when selling high ticket items you want somewhere
else, but ebay like MCS or consignment houses that take more in fees, but provide more security. 
So you are going to have to accept a higher fee mostly to sell a high ticket item elsewhere, but you get more
security. 

On the issue the OP had its called "Theft by Deception". With any luck the buyer used a PO box which can make
it a federal crime as well.

I can say this in ebay's defense. I sell on multiple platforms including CGC, local shows, facebook and Ebay. In 25 years
I have had less then 5 problems on there. I am a power seller(whatever that matters) and I have over 5k feedback. But
you better believe when a buyer makes a $1k purchase from me which only happens once a year or so that I check them
out completely before I follow thru with the transaction. 99.9% of my transactions go smoothly and I haven't had a return in
years. But I dont deal in high ticket items including high ends slabs very often. Thats where all the crime occurs in my opinion.

Nobody beats Ebay's traffic, but you have to play by their rules and also how to protect yourself while doing it. One last thing
everyone gets tied up in the fees. If you are claiming on your taxes which at this point you should be fees are a non-starter
you can write them off. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 8/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I dont know what policy that is for some sellers (bold).  I have been selling on eBay since 1999, and never had half the problems so many here say they have happen to them.

eBay has never held .01 of my money unless it was a return.

eBay still has the most traffic of buyers for comics 1975-current.  People moans and groan, but I make more money on eBay selling most CGC books (GPA records as well) than elsewhere at auction for book 1975-now.

My only opinion is for High Grade vintage or rare books sell elsewhere.

Example assuming auctions only.

HULK #181 CGC 4.0 = eBay

HULK #181 CGC 9.6 = Heritage, C-Link, CC.

agree

I tried Shortbox, which has some cool features like historical data and the 'green, yellow or red' markers showing if items are priced well or not.

My one issue is the shipping.  I am in Canada.  I bought one book to test it out.  I paid $15 USD for the item to be shipped to their depot in California, where they hold and inspect.  Now I have to pay $50 USD for them to ship me '1 or 2' books.

So I will end up paying $65 USD to receive one slab from their app.

Yikes. I just had my first sale on Mercari - which I have made purchases on before, but never sold. They:

A. Only pays out your money three days after the buyer receives the item.

B. Only allow you to have the money transferred to your bank, by you providing your banking information (yikes) - and takes up to 5 days.

C. State that you can use your balance to buy stuff, but when you go to check out - it won't allow you to use your balance. I am working with support, who is currently giving me answers that don't work with the interface, so it's a back-and-forth with screen captures, etc - all while I still can't access my money. (For cripes sake, it's $83. It's annoying for such a low amount.)

So, with that being said - they get to leech interest off my money while it sits in their coffers and they drag their feet on "optional" payouts. I shipped the product almost two weeks ago and today my money was "released" and if I give them my identity information, it will be another 3-5 days before it hits my bank: so a total of nearly 20 days of them sitting on my money. I know that's a big part of the online sales revenue (interest gained) but in this case, I find that length of time excessive. Incredibly shady.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/4/2023 at 1:21 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'm not a seller, but I've picked up a lot of great books right here on the Boards.  I'd suggest you try here.  Depending on the payment methods you accept, it can be a "no fee" deal.

Agreed. Can complete some interesting half cash/trade comic deals or straight trade of GA for other GA or whatever that is agreeable and fair for both parties.

On 8/4/2023 at 3:17 PM, Krismusic said:

I am not a seller but you might want to try selling here on the forums. I've bought off the forums and have had a positive experience thankfully so far.

And the nice thing about selling here (which I admittedly haven't done much, except for the VCC) is that instead of form letters, unanswered questions, and bureaucracy, you get a community of fellow collectors who are (usually) very friendly and helpful with the how-to part of things. Plus direct seller-to-buyer contact, of course.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:21 AM, Robot Man said:

I quit selling on eBay a few years ago. Have been a member since 1998. Just kept going down hill and crazy expensive. Not to mention, the very poor  treatment of sellers.

In addition to comics, I also sold pulps, vintage toys and advertising items as well as other collectibles. Was a great place to reach the greatest amount of collectors. Really hurt not to have that venue. Just doing a lot more live shows.

Apparently, I’m not alone. Listings seem to be way down on the site.

Hi I was wondering how you check listings being down on the site ? Thanks .

On 8/9/2023 at 7:46 PM, davidking623 said:

Hi I was wondering how you check listings being down on the site ? Thanks .

For example, I regularly check “new today” GA comics. There are considerably less auctions for quality GA books in the past few years. There are a lot more books put up at retail and “buy it now” prices as opening bids.

There is also a lot less being listed in a few other categories I regularly check.

They have run out a lot of smaller sellers like me due to higher cost, hassles and poor EBay support to sellers. 

On 8/10/2023 at 7:01 AM, Robot Man said:

For example, I regularly check “new today” GA comics. There are considerably less auctions for quality GA books in the past few years. There are a lot more books put up at retail and “buy it now” prices as opening bids.

There is also a lot less being listed in a few other categories I regularly check.

They have run out a lot of smaller sellers like me due to higher cost, hassles and poor EBay support to sellers. 

That makes sense . Thank You !

On 8/10/2023 at 7:35 AM, Mijael.Levy said:

Good thing about the board is that when you list a book you get a lot of views , starting from 100 to 500+ all in one day so you can be sure people here are aware of your stuff

That is a interesting point for sure . One which could lead to sales even if you don't sell it initially here and it goes to another site .

I use multiple approaches since every way of selling has pros and cons.

Facebook - great for selling lower value books to local people. I also list higher end stuff there in an attempt to offset fees but most slabs are slow movers or do not sell at all. Ok for buying if you can get a deal, but there is no protection if books do not come in the condition promised. The marketplace can be good for buying collections which is enough in itself to justify checking in there regularly. 

Comic Link - Good for selling higher end key issues since their cut is only 10% and a hassle-fee selling experience. If you are trying to sell moderns (aside from a small number that sell well like UF4, Nyx 3, etc) and non-keys expect to get a real low price that is far below GPA. The fact that it is really good for buying is a hint that it is not the best for selling. The only downside to buying there is the hammer prices on the raw lots sold there have increased quite a bit over the past few years. Used to get solid and amazing deals as everyone else focused on the slabs. Their marketplace is largely a waste of time for buying and selling. 

Ebay - I sell minor keys in the 100-300 price range there. I hate giving money to that site so I cap myself at 10-15k in sales and usually make that in a couple of months, which means I am done for the year pretty early. The 15% fees are not outrageous, but the selling experience can turn terrible as people can do returns for no reason which leaves you on the hook for shipping there and back, plus the whole non-payment thing is really poor. I use it but dont love it. In terms of buying it is ok for slabs and not good at all for raws as you discover how bad people are at grading and shipping. 

MCS - I have never sold through them but know people who have, and everyone is positive about it. The only complaint is how tough they are when grading raw books, but buyers know this and pay more for a given grade so comes out in the wash. I believe it has a 10% commission which is good. I used to buy raw lots there and found the experience generally good with books coming in looking way better than expected. I only stopped because everything I was after was going for too much, and after a few auctions with nil results it felt like a waste of time. I would not hesitate to try again in the future though.

Heritage - Probably the best prices realized for books but ridiculous selling fees. I honestly do not know how people can justify sending all those expensive books to them knowing that a massive cut will be taken out. The customer service is the worst of all of them including Ebay - let that sink in for a moment. In terms of buying, I completely gave up on them and will not be back. I was getting raws that were promised as a 6 coming to me with detached covers, and books I bought and sent to CGC were regularly 2 points below what was promised. It would come as a shock to me if they open and inspect anything aside from a quick peek through the bag. 

I hope this helps.