• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Advice - Fed Ex Lost My Comic
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hey,

I recently bought a golden age book (value about $900) and the seller shipped it to me via Fed Ex. After a week, the book continued to show “out for delivery.” I called Fed Ex and talked to a representative overseas who asked for my information. The next day I got an email saying the shipment was lost and to initiate a claim with the seller. I called back a few more times trying to get more information but couldn’t get past the various customer representatives who all repeated the same thing - it’s lost and initiate a claim; but no detail on who they spoke with and what they actually investigated to make that determination.

The seller will refund me so that’s not an issue. I just don’t want to give up and would like to try to get the book. I struggle with reconciling that the book survived 80 years only to to be lost in 2023 by Fed Ex. I went to a local Fed Ex today and they told me the same - contact customer service. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Again, a refund isn’t an issue. I just want to locate the book.

Edited by conan09279

Thanks both. I think I’ll take a ride to the shipping center where it was last scanned and see if I can talk to someone. The shipper filed a claim but I’d feel better if I could actually speak with somebody who may know what could have happened. 

transactions like the one you just experienced are why I am reluctant to do any deals where I have to rely on a 3rd party shipper to a different country. The required honest information on the customs form is problematic. I suspect an internal employee of stealing the package and at that stage you simply tell the customer to file a claim as the package is lost.

I have had books disappear where I have insured it with tracking and signature required. The buyer tells me he never got the book: as a repeat buyer of many of my books I believe the guy yet tracking shows delivered and it was signed for. I refund the buyer and because the book is considered delivered by the shipper I can not file an insurance claim! The book was stolen and likely by the carrier.

Also had a buyer complain the book is not the condition I advertised so I get him to ship it back to me and the VF-NM copy I sent him is now switched to a VG.

I have also shipped never opened still in original packaging items that have been opened and inspected by customs negating the very reason the collectible was purchased in the first place.

Sorry you are going through this, and I hope the book turns up.

Edited by Artboy99

On 10/13/2023 at 8:26 AM, Mutant Manatee said:

Isn't that the only option, besides hand-delivering the item yourself?

Is why I no longer do deals where I am shipping to another country: I have had to many thefts, lost packages, tampering, etc.

The problem is the customs label that notes what the contents of the box are and a declared value: becomes far too tempting to a low wage employee of the company if the box says "comic book, declared value $900"

I sell at local shows and hand the buyer the books to avoid this garbage.

Edited by Artboy99

On 10/14/2023 at 3:34 PM, JollyComics said:

Mind if we ask you?  What book?  We can locate anywhere.

On 10/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, conan09279 said:

First thing this morning, I received a text from Fed Ex saying the package would be delivered - and sure enough, moments ago it was.

Yes! Now you are obligated to send us pix!:banana: Glad your book was delivered.

On 10/14/2023 at 3:58 PM, JollyComics said:

What's about the refund?

I would assume they’d cancel the claim filed by the seller. I’d hope fed ex would at least refund his shipping costs. I didn’t ask for my money back. Figured let the claim process play out and hopefully that would put at least some pressure on them to locate the book. It may be pure coincidence but I think talking to the manager at the site helped locate the book.  

On 10/14/2023 at 3:03 PM, conan09279 said:

I would assume they’d cancel the claim filed by the seller. I’d hope fed ex would at least refund his shipping costs. I didn’t ask for my money back. Figured let the claim process play out and hopefully that would put at least some pressure on them to locate the book. It may be pure coincidence but I think talking to the manager at the site helped locate the book.  

It works well.