• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,318 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2023 at 7:11 AM, Cat said:

As maddening as it is, it's not your responsibility, mate. We need someone with force and lawful means to take responsibility. He seems the type to call the police on you, if anything. Do you think he'd hand over the books? Plus good luck verifying ownership. I have a feeling his record-keeping is a nightmare. 

That was my thought as well. 

As far as getting money back, I have a feeling whatever money is sent to him instantly evaporates and it sounds like this may be a case of trying to squeeze blood from a turnip (though I’m not discouraging any of the victims from trying). 

I would think the priority would be trying to get the books back as it seems like that’s the one thing he still does have (though his excuses for why he hasn’t sent books back that have been clearly requested back is giving my pause). Once the books are safely back, then try and recoup whatever funds you can. 

But then again, if pursuing this through law enforcement or insurance, all-or-nothing be the way victims have to go  

Edited by Number 6

On 11/10/2023 at 7:57 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

It's awful. I keep thinking that me and @Dr. Balls should drive out there with a list of everyone's books and see what we can find. But I fear a lot of books may be disassembled, worked on but not completed. Or that some were at his East Coast location when it all started falling apart and maybe those employees have them now? Or worst of all, that might have sold some books, not that he would admit it.

Driving out there seems a little crazy, but what happens if he has another heart attack and dies. Some relative who knows nothing about comics is left in charge and may have no idea what they're worth?

Road trip!

I just talked to a former employee. To his knowledge everything from NJ was sent to Oregon when they closed. Was about 10 short boxes.

He thought that any book sent in for resto, if the process hadn't begun, those books have been returned. 

It's the mid-resto books that are in limbo. 

He also said Mike is separating from his girlfriend and his operation was in her house :eek: 

On 11/11/2023 at 3:55 AM, Dark Knight said:

You guys have his address.. Pay the man a visit and get your books back!

Absolutely.

You have his location, go and get your books.

If not, surely a PI or similar could collect on your behalf?

On 11/10/2023 at 10:55 AM, Dark Knight said:

On 11/10/2023 at 4:58 PM, Beige said:

Absolutely.

And if Hero’s says “no” to this hypothetical posse knocking on his door, what then?

Edited by mattn792

On 11/8/2023 at 7:31 PM, altair43 said:

I sent him money and the book in august 2023  and spoke with him also.  The number is now disconnected .  This is horrible.

Ugh, so he's still taking money and books while about to go under.  I'm sorry, that's a nasty thing to do to you.

On 11/10/2023 at 4:40 PM, mattn792 said:
On 11/10/2023 at 8:55 AM, Dark Knight said:

On 11/10/2023 at 2:58 PM, Beige said:

Absolutely.

And if Hero’s says “no” to this hypothetical posse knocking on his door, what then?

Have the police get involved and show evidence that this guy has your property and is not releasing them to you. Then maybe try to obtain a search warrant to search his property if he still refuses to open his door.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:22 PM, Dark Knight said:

Have the police get involved and show evidence that this guy has your property and is not releasing them to you. Then maybe try to obtain a search warrant to search his property if he still refuses to open his door.

Now someone is talking sense.  Why not also do that from the start?

Those customers who had sent their books to Hero a year or so ago, you better act fast due to the statute of limitations when it comes to these things.  I think it's around 2-3 years where you can report him and hopefully get your money and/or books back?  After that, well maybe there is nothing else you can do.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:22 PM, Sauce Dog said:

This is the first I've heard of this development (have not looked into his site since the last thread)

Screenshot2023-11-10at8_21_18PM.thumb.png.cac6f59c239b6d0c7f08549e501dc9ee.png

I sincerely hope the guy is ok,  but he has gone through great lengths to avoid responsibility.  It forces you to be skeptical of everything he says. 

On 11/11/2023 at 1:46 PM, Gaard said:

The circled part appears to be false.

hr.jpg

He's :censored: the bed, Amber Heard style. 

On 11/10/2023 at 8:32 PM, KCOComics said:

Hey and for the record - no one should seriously consider going to his home. It can only end badly. 

Go through the proper legal channels. File complaints, small claims,  go to the police,  but no vigilante justice!

I'm sick of your rational, logical posts.  :foryou:

I’m wondering if “damage of property” can be filed in a lawsuit for those who receive their books back in a disassembled or condition other than how they were submitted as a way to recoup any money paid upfront. hm

Seems like the value of many of these books has increased since they were submitted but even if the fmv remained the same, there would be a loss if the books are returned damaged in some way (shrug)