• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2023 at 8:29 AM, sledgehammer said:

We should start a poll.

1. Briva3 is the only guy

2.  Ok, probably 1-4 guys are this sinister.

3. At an exponential growth pattern, and the dark web, there are probably at least 25 guys that are now doing this.

4. 50% of reholders since 2020 are now fraudulent lower graded copies

5. Pass the crack pipe

I mean, who the :censored: knows, and who has ventured a guess so far? Why would the guess be relevant?

fixed that for ya

On 12/23/2023 at 11:00 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Your AI thread just got locked. :baiting:

Which I think is ridiculous but whatever. Not my call.

Just try not discussing AI in the AI age. doh!

People who are saying AI can grade comics accurately, efficiency and in a cost effective manner anytime soon just don't understand complex systems, or how the entire system would work and the complexity involved. It is off the charts, making it unrealistic any time soon. It's not impossible, It's just not happening anytime soon. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/23/2023 at 9:11 AM, agamoto said:

9.8, 4094947003, custom label, direct, suspect - right edge of book, scuffs and stress along spine on back

• SOLD FOR $4,051.00
  • SOLD DATE Nov 09, 2022
  • image.thumb.png.8ee4a3c04fac8614e633fc94d38476f4.pngimage.thumb.png.bcbe8ef492b857a9808c8de8f70a0863.png

While the ASM #300's are tough to tell without great pics, @sledgehammer is correct in that this book does seem to have a lot going on (back cover spine stress) for it to be a 9.8.

As an FYI: For those that don't know how to do it, you can highlight any part of a post you want to quote, like copying it for a 'copy and poste' and a quote sticker should pop up that you can click on, so that you can just quote THAT portion of the post rather than copy the ENTIRE post. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/23/2023 at 9:46 AM, sledgehammer said:

Just keep in mind that YEARS ago (bolded to imply many) restoration had nowhere near the stigma it does now.

Now that you mention it, you're right. In my original collection from the 1970's, my Avengers #1 had tape, and I had at least 5-8 Golden Age comics (early Superman/Action/WF) that had color added (added badly). I don't remember the comic any more, but can still see this 3/4" long brushstroke of non-matching purple paint on a cover.

Back then, if a comic was graded "good" or less, that kind of thing was almost expected.

On 12/23/2023 at 10:59 AM, VintageComics said:

If you don't like the post, ignore it. End of story.

If I want to splice atoms, I'm going to do it. Stop telling people how to post. Your living room is not my laptop. 

I didn't beat you up. I explained, based on my extensive experience (I subbed my 1st books in 2003), 1000's of submissions and 100's if not 1000's of personal, direct discussions with CGC.  

You were speculating out of your butt and I disagreed. 

When you started to make it personal about me, the beatings started, and they will continue for as long as they need to. :peace:

It puts doubt in peoples minds what’s in that slab is not the real thing and I’m sure people are worried!

On 12/23/2023 at 8:01 AM, VintageComics said:

Which I think is ridiculous but whatever. Not my call.

Just try not discussing AI in the AI age. doh!

People who are saying AI can grade comics accurately, efficiency and in a cost effective manner anytime soon just don't understand complex systems, or how the entire system would work and the complexity involved. It is off the charts, making it unrealistic any time soon. It's not impossible, It's just not happening anytime soon. 

At least we know Mike is not on Holiday sabbatical.

On 12/23/2023 at 8:15 AM, Bo1983 said:

It puts doubt in peoples minds what’s in that slab is not the real thing and I’m sure people are worried!

I feel this is still localized within the CGC fan community and spreading slightly elsewhere. Casual collectors(which still make up the bulk of potential CGC customers) are completely unaware of this situation. Until it hits the media, it's not going to have any measurable impact. Google "CGC" then hit the news tab and all that comes up is a publicly traded pot company. :peace:

cgcgoogle.thumb.png.5a7ce4cefb2157119bbb144bf92cf8f5.png

On 12/23/2023 at 11:21 AM, DC# said:

I was messaging with him and he is very busy, and obviously the holidays have complicated that. 

On 12/23/2023 at 11:23 AM, trademarkcomics said:

I feel this is still localized within the CGC fan community and spreading slightly elsewhere. Casual collectors(which still make up the bulk of potential CGC customers) are completely unaware of this situation. Until it hits the media, it's not going to have any measurable impact. Google "CGC" then hit the news tab and all that comes up is a publicly traded pot company. :peace:

cgcgoogle.thumb.png.5a7ce4cefb2157119bbb144bf92cf8f5.png

Canadian Grain Commission

On 12/23/2023 at 11:21 AM, DC# said:

Has likely been told to leave this thread alone until CGC has its official response, however long that takes.  As long as there are no violations in the personal  conduct guidelines of the forum in general.

Edited by drotto

On 12/23/2023 at 3:28 AM, Microchip said:

The extent of the damage this guy is doing across the hobby is looking pretty substantial.

Eroding confidence in the security processes of CGC is very tangible, with multiple instagram, and YouTube channels covering this topic on an ongoing basis, as more swapped out books are being discovered.

@CGC Mike what is currently happening within CGC in response to this expanding situation?

Hi Microchip,

There will be NO Response from CGC. Apologies folks for repeating myself but CGC will simply wait until this fizzles out and it will. If they do say something/anything then it will cost them money.  They do not have a care at all with perception as long as you folks keep submitting and them Benji's keep rollin' in. 

It's a strict pump & dump for CGC's current parent anyhow, as soon as inbound cash sinks below their predetermined threshold they will sell CGC off.

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/23/2023 at 8:41 AM, Mdesimone said:

Asm 129

IMG_5692.jpeg

Thanks! Can I ask roughly when in 2019 you bought it? I want to compare it to sales of purples and greens around that time. The angle of the miscut at the top should be easy to match up. Hopefully nothing matches, but we still can't rule out a switcheroo completely as he could have bought a qualified/restored at a con.