• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2024 at 9:08 PM, agamoto said:

I'll give you a predictive announcement:

"We've flagged all the suspicious books submitted by the individual and any other books related to the submitter which we deemed significant enough in value or prestige to consider worthy of further assurance investigation. Those books which we have reviewed and deemed not to have been swapped will be removed from the list by striking through the certification number. These books, since they are not affected, will retain their original certification number and slab. We continue our commitment to reviewing more books as they come in and regrading and encapsulating these books with new certification ID's. Above all else, please remember, there's only one scammer, this is a totally isolated incident, and these aren't the droids you're looking for. While we don't intend to pursue any criminal investigation, we look forward to running up the cost of our internal self-investigation so that we can pass them onto the scammer when we eventually nail them with a suit for injunctive relief and a restraining order. Please resume your healthy trade in 9.8 modern variants. Thanks."

I don't think so. It makes more sense to give new numbers to all of the comics, regardless whether they were swapped, to remove the taint. My guess is that CGC intends to permanently retire all of the 350 numbers they've identified.

On 1/10/2024 at 6:22 PM, paqart said:

I don't think so. It makes more sense to give new numbers to all of the comics, regardless whether they were swapped, to remove the taint. My guess is that CGC intends to permanently retire all of the 350 numbers they've identified.

I honestly couldn't care what they are planning to do with the certs. Without the feds actually looking into the who, what, why and how much, it's all theater. 

On 1/10/2024 at 9:00 PM, wiparker824 said:

Seems like all of the above may be true, there isn’t any real consistency:

This book has a new graded date, but isn’t crossed off the list and has retained its cert number:

1589872-002 Amazing Fantasy #15 ("Stan Lee '86" written on page 1 in pen) 1962

Also it says this when you look it up now:

CGC Cert #
1589872002 - Contact reportfraud@collectiblesgroup.com if you own or are offered this book.

But if it was graded on 1/5/24 like it says then wouldn’t CGC be in possession of it? 

This book has been crossed off and doesn’t appear when you try to verify anymore presumably it got a new cert?

1341998-001 Amazing Spider-Man #1 (Signed by Stan Lee on 11/1/15) 1963

This book has been crossed off and does appear when you verify but without an updated graded date or an updated cert:

0800641-009 Avengers #57 1968

So yes, all of your questions are valid particularly because there isn’t really any pattern to what’s happening with books being removed.

IMG_6970.gif.5970572c5321d8c2ba643ee5bb10300e.gif

On 1/10/2024 at 7:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If we have confirmed there are none new added to the list, then I have a follow up question

The ones that are crossed off, why are they?

Because they've been checked and deemed ok?

Because they've been checked and removed from the census?

Are no longer a valid cert?

Or were fine and CGC is leaving them with the same cert number but crossing them off "the list?"

🤔

My asm 129 was crossed off they recieved it on Monday and have yet to contact me about anything

The JIM 85 SS 8.0 that was triple signed and @Crimsonira confirmed bought not from eBay but directly from the NY shop being discussed a few pages back I can confirm was in the shops possession both before and after the reholder/custom label. On one of their other IG accounts (they have several) they posted this in Sept of 2016 captioned with “Personal Collection.”:

IMG_2342.thumb.jpeg.6bfdea250b7b738eceaa1d60e08c7913.jpeg

They then have posted it several other times but the first time after the reholder was in Aug of 2017 this one included the caption “before and after” IMG_2343.thumb.jpeg.7d9efd33718c5e2ba17821ede7edab45.jpeg

The last post with it was this one in January of 2021 captioned SOLD!:

IMG_2344.thumb.jpeg.1b270208b8c70935c2c2a80ea3aa72a9.jpeg

So, the idea they might have been sold the book by the scammer after the reholder doesn’t appear to be true. Should be noted this particular book appears to be the same before and after and have the same grade but it is on the list…

Edited by wiparker824

On 1/10/2024 at 10:11 AM, drotto said:

Sure let's finish making the scammer the Al Capone of comic fraud.  The IRS will take him down for tax evasion.  Honestly, that might be the easiest route.

What if he's an upstanding citizen who pays all his taxes?

On 1/11/2024 at 7:43 AM, wiparker824 said:

IMG_2348.thumb.jpeg.2f65738165be53c573d0417cafa2ff98.jpeg

another photo from that shop’s IG that should make the heat gun theorists go wild… note the heat gun casually sitting next to all of these mega SA keys in the background.  :tonofbricks:

Wow, the scammer(s) is even dumber than we thought... first he captures a reflection of himself in virtually every slab photo he posted and now we see the "tool" of his/their illicit trade.  Should be an easy case for the FBI and prosecutor!

another photo from that shop’s IG that should make the heat gun theorists go wild… note the heat gun casually sitting next to all of these mega SA keys in the background.  :tonofbricks:

:insane:

I saw that and is very difficult to explain away. It at least deserves serious scrutiny.That’s really really damning. I will just say this, I shared everything I KNOW for a fact with CGC and hopefully something will get done. 

Edited by mrd160

On 1/11/2024 at 6:51 AM, mrd160 said:

I saw that and is very difficult to explain away. It at least deserves serious scrutiny.That’s really really damning. I will just say this, I shared everything I KNOW for a fact with CGC and hopefully something will get done. 

Explained away: sometimes I like my comics roasted.:roflmao:

On 1/11/2024 at 9:07 AM, wiparker824 said:

Explained away: sometimes I like my comics roasted.:roflmao:

When I share that picture with a dealer I know, he said it doesn’t mean anything he could just be using it to remove stickers. My response was I believe the gun goes to 1000° what the F are you talking about

Edited by mrd160