• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2024 at 3:46 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Confused, follow the CGC procedure if you still have the book? Why wait for CL?

Who said I'm waiting? I've already returned my two books. But I wanted to find out when Comic Link was going to be contacting people,  as they stated on January 3rd. It would be a good cross reference to ensure buyers didn't miss anything. That was the point of my original post.

This is an appeal for some assistance from the wider community. If anyone is in possession of either of these books matching the following two certification numbers, please feel free to message me on these boards or on IG at https://www.instagram.com/toyverify/

I am just needing good high resolution images of the current book please (I have past images from sales already), both front and back. This will greatly assist with some unusual trends and patterns I'm trying to reconcile through a short list of books I'm looking at. 

Edited by comicwiz

On 1/17/2024 at 4:31 PM, comicwiz said:

This is an appeal for some assistance from the wider community. If anyone is in possession of either of these books matching the following two certification numbers, please feel free to message me on these boards or on IG at https://www.instagram.com/toyverify/

I am just needing good high resolution images of the current book please, both front and back. This will greatly assist with some unusual trends and patterns I'm trying to reconcile through a short list of books I'm looking at. 

When I ran the numbers through verification to see what books they were, the 1174079001 comes up as a regular query result. The 1478893002 is flagged in the verification with the instruction in red to contact CGC.

Is the 1174079001 a new submission that CGC has not identified yet?  I ran subsequent numbers in the chain and it looks like that book was an isolated submission or the other book(s) in that submission have been stricken from the record. 

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 4.38.36 PM.png

On 1/17/2024 at 3:46 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Confused, follow the CGC procedure if you still have the book? Why wait for CL?

I also have sent mine. Just curious about CLink being proactive with their buyers if they weren’t following the news…

On 1/17/2024 at 7:14 PM, grendel013 said:

Not in the example given of the dealer who married an incorrect MVC inside a Hulk 181. Weight would be good on that.

Depends on how they married it. If they used any tape or other adhesive, the weight would deviate.

-bc

• Administrator
On 1/17/2024 at 2:16 PM, topcat54 said:

it was these guys that brought it up I just pm'd you :flamed:

Yep.  The thanks was actually meant for everyone who assisted with this.  I should have added another sentence to my post.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:09 PM, bc said:

Depends on how they married it. If they used any tape or other adhesive, the weight would deviate.

-bc

image.png.adf66d8d61feb896563ac3f949330eb8.png

OR

Maybe they asked the book if it was married or happy...

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/17/2024 at 6:09 PM, bc said:

-bc

This. Plus a lot of other factors that would impact weight - the most fun one being CGC isn’t consistent with how many pieces of microchamber paper they add to slabs… anyone who has cracked slabs knows you may find one, you may find none, you may find two ya never know. How are you going to estimate weight of a book in a holder given you don’t know how much weight you’ve added with microchamber? They definitely aren’t weighing them for MVS stamps. At least I hope not because there’s no way that would ever work.

On 1/17/2024 at 10:44 PM, wiparker824 said:

They definitely aren’t weighing them for MVS stamps. At least I hope not because there’s no way that would ever work.

+1 on that.  Even moisture content of the paper could change the weight, especially if weighed in Florida, humidity capital of the world.

If they could tell anything by weighing, they would have been able to detect trimming from day 1.

The biggest variable in weight would probably be the inner wells themselves.  From one to another I'd expect there to be quite a bit of variation in the weight owing to variations in manufacturing.  The inner wells aren't exactly precision manufactured items, after all.  The comics themselves also have wobble in their dimensions, and so in their weights, too.

Embedding an RFID microchip in the inner well, on the other hand, might be a very good way of assigning a unique identifier to each book via the sealed inner well.  They have been designed quite thin, for instance fitting inside the cards of a deck.

Edited by namisgr

Just received 10 slabs back today and all the books came back in the slighter thicker slabs usually used for square bound books, to include the attached pic. The attached pic shows the slab from 10/12/23 on top and the one slabbed on 1/10/24 on the bottom. The books are exactly the same...Spider-Man #1 (Gold) 9.8, white pages. Wonder if this has anything to do with the security "changes" discussed in previous CGC statements?

PXL_20240118_211719541_2.jpg